• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA3s Review (Desktop Amplifier)

gfinlays

Forum Donor
Hmmm.... Come on!

For your inspiration, Boulder 3050 monoblock

View attachment 156832
At half a million pounds per stereo pair and 28.8 kWh power consumption per day in standby, I think I'll pass.....

Our planet is literally cooking due to global warming. Our 23 panel 8.4 kWp solar PV installation just about produces enough energy at this time of year to power a pair of them. I'll doubly pass.

I'd also need another 9.6 kWh per day for the A/C to keep the room cool with a 1.2 kW heater in it. I'll triply pass.

Who buys this kind of stuff? Maybe the guy who buys a Bugatti Veyron just to drive to the grocery store?

bill poster

At half a million pounds per stereo pair and 28.8 kWh power consumption per day in standby, I think I'll pass.....

Our planet is literally cooking due to global warming. Our 23 panel 8.4 kWp solar PV installation just about produces enough energy at this time of year to power a pair of them. I'll doubly pass.

I'd also need another 9.6 kWh per day for the A/C to keep the room cool with a 1.2 kW heater in it. I'll triply pass.

Who buys this kind of stuff? Maybe the guy who buys a Bugatti Veyron just to drive to the grocery store?
I have a Passlab power amp in the UK to keep my house warm. It plays music ok too, always a bonus

guilliam

Hi All,

Was hoping to get some help, really hope this is the right place to ask, I just received my Topping PA3s. I have it connected to my SMSL M500 via the output with two RCA cables and to the SE input of the Topping, but I am getting no sound, the volume is up on the SMSL and I can see the signal but no matter what there is no sound. I have the Topping connected to a pair of Dynaudio DM 2/6's

Do I need to go balanced? or am I overlooking something really simple

Thanks

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi All,

Was hoping to get some help, really hope this is the right place to ask, I just received my Topping PA3s. I have it connected to my SMSL M500 via the output with two RCA cables and to the SE input of the Topping, but I am getting no sound, the volume is up on the SMSL and I can see the signal but no matter what there is no sound. I have the Topping connected to a pair of Dynaudio DM 2/6's

Do I need to go balanced? or am I overlooking something really simple

Thanks
Is SE selected as the input mode for PA3s?
Is RCA or RCA + XLR selected as the output mode of the M500? Is the volume set to maximum?

guilliam

Thank you for the replay

Yes, SE is selected on the PA3s, its RCA to RCA. the only output modes on the M500 is line out or Headphones tried both no luck and yes the M500 is maxed out.

I have a pair of old powered AudioEngine 5's that I will dig out and pug into the M500 directly to see if there is any sound coming from it

Progronom

Hi! Is there a memorization of the last state? For example - the amplifier is on, playing, the RCA input is selected. I turn off the 220 volt power outlet. An hour later, I turn on the 220 volt power again. What will happen to the amplifier?
Will it turn on, or not?

dsnyder0cnn

Hi! Is there a memorization of the last state? For example - the amplifier is on, playing, the RCA input is selected. I turn off the 220 volt power outlet. An hour later, I turn on the 220 volt power again. What will happen to the amplifier?
Will it turn on, or not?
Topping products don't seem to like being powered off that way. Best to switch them on/off at the device rather than removing power from their power supply (eg., switch on a power strip). There's a thread about the Topping L50 headphone amp that goes into more detail.

Progronom

I am not at all interested in what whom they likes or dislike :) They are not sexy lovers, but electronic devices ... :) Do not arrange a flood.
Why should I read about Topping L50? It has a mechanical power-on toggle switch, not an electronic one, as in PA3s.

I need an exact answer to a technical question!
Question to the owners PA3s, or the manufacturer - what will happen to the device when it is turned on again?

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Will it turn on, or not?
PA3s can maintain its state even if it is turned ON / OFF on the AC line side. There is no pop noise. However, we have not confirmed the state retention after turning off for many days.

Top Bottom