• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA3s Review (Desktop Amplifier)

Bene

Zen dac v2 to new Topping PA3s

what type of balanced cable i need for connection? I haven't found anything like that anywhere...

dr0ss

wow $ 120 damn it
It's that stupid audiophiles-only pentaconn connector. Wait until someone comes up with a TRRRRRS standard, it will probably require brilliant pebbles to operate.

Meanwhile, you should be able to find pentaconn->something else (like a pair of XLS) for quite a lot less, then adapt those to a pair of TRS plugs.

andrewskaterrr

Zen dac v2 to new Topping PA3s

what type of balanced cable i need for connection? I haven't found anything like that anywhere...
$35 one. But you just need a 4.4mm TRRSA to 2x 6.35mm TRS cables/adapter.

andrewskaterrr

not good, this is 3.5 not 6.35...
oooor just stick with unbalanced. The measurements show balanced isn't much better, and if you're going a short distance it won't pick up much interference. My E30, L30, PA3S is all Unbalanced.

Trokox

I'm a pure technician, so I'm not good at expressing subtle differences in sound like audiophiles and music fans. My opinion is solely a comparison from electrical operation.

I think that the circuit of the amplifier part of both PA3s and A20a is a copy of ifineon's recommended circuit and is basically the same. The difference is the input section, the PA3s are analog volume and have no tone control. The A20a has electronic volume and tone control by NJW1194. And I don't use the AC adapter that came with the PA3s power supply. I am using a separately prepared industrial 26V 10A power supply.

When comparing the sound quality with the tone control of the A20a turned off, I feel that there is a slight difference in sound quality, but I judge that it is almost the same. However, this subtle difference may be felt by some people.
I tested it even at a loud volume that vibrates the room, but both drive the speaker unit firmly.

Differences will appear when using two amplifiers as power amplifiers with maximum input volume.
The PA3s remain completely silent, but the A20a starts to generate switching noise when the volume level is around -10, and is a little worrisome at the maximum -00. Also, in the case of PA3s, it is disadvantageous that the tone control cannot be used when playing at low volume such as at night. But it was good that the power supply voltage was set to 26V.
Then, when asked whether to choose PA3s or A20a, I choose PA3s. Because PA3s has a higher degree of electrical perfection. But when comparing PA3s and AO200, I choose AO200.
In terms of power is there much difference? or is it more or less the same (pa3s vs a20a)

andrewskaterrr

In terms of power is there much difference? or is it more or less the same (pa3s vs a20a)
Let me ask you this counter question: Does max power matter if the a20a has switching noise from volume -10 to 0?

The reason I hadn't bought one of these "cheaper" desktop Class D amps is because of the reported noise issues. Once this PA3s review came out and reports said that it was silent, I ordered one. Why pick a noisy amp over a quiet one? If you want more power that's still clean, it seems that you will have to spend a bit more than the PA3s' $150.

Trokox

Let me ask you this counter question: Does max power matter if the a20a has switching noise from volume -10 to 0?

The reason I hadn't bought one of these "cheaper" desktop Class D amps is because of the reported noise issues. Once this PA3s review came out and reports said that it was silent, I ordered one. Why pick a noisy amp over a quiet one? If you want more power that's still clean, it seems that you will have to spend a bit more than the PA3s' $150.
According to what I have read the Sabaj A20A does not have any noise when using the balanced input

Toku

Major Contributor
The PA3s and A20a are as explained earlier, and the output power is considered to be almost the same. Strictly speaking, the power supply voltage is 26V for PA3s and 24V for A20a and AO200, so PA3s is a little more advantageous.

Among these three types of amplifiers, PA3s and AO200 are good amplifiers that operate stably. I think the A20a will be a good product if Sabaj takes my report seriously.

I am an engineer who has been in charge of development at a Japanese manufacturer before. You can't ignore a product that doesn't work properly. That's it.

Trokox

The PA3s and A20a are as explained earlier, and the output power is considered to be almost the same. Strictly speaking, the power supply voltage is 26V for PA3s and 24V for A20a and AO200, so PA3s is a little more advantageous.

Among these three types of amplifiers, PA3s and AO200 are good amplifiers that operate stably. I think the A20a will be a good product if Sabaj takes my report seriously.

I am an engineer who has been in charge of development at a Japanese manufacturer before. You can't ignore a product that doesn't work properly. That's it.
Thanks for the answer, friend

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
According to what I have read the Sabaj A20A does not have any noise when using the balanced input

I have the Sabaj A20a, I use it in XLR and it's perfectly silent, I'll buy it again.

It has a preamp with tone control, a remote control, an integrated silent XLR SMPS and a subwoofer output.

I bought Pa3s from a friend, we will be able to compare them.

Trokox

I have the Sabaj A20a, I use it in XLR and it's perfectly silent, I'll buy it again.

It has a preamp with tone control, a remote control, an integrated silent XLR SMPS and a subwoofer output.

I bought Pa3s from a friend, we will be able to compare them.
Great !!
Upload your impressions here

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Great !!
Upload your impressions here

The comparison will not be made for several months, because of the pandemic.

Also we have other amplifiers to test besides the speakers. I compared the A20a sound with my main amplifier ( in bi-amplification). I will do a little subjective review in the Sabaj A20a thread.

The sound of the A20a is excellent. I do not regret.

Top Bottom