• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA3s Review (Desktop Amplifier)

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks for your reply. It's 12V and I explained further in my response to restorer-john just above.

"No, it has only 12V. But I can easily find a laptop charger that can be connected to a cigarette lighter jack. The problem is, they only support up to 24V - couldn't find anything higher."

So I'm trying to use the 12V cigarette jack in my car for the power source. Since it's (probably) not directly connected to the generator or battery itself, my guess is I wouldn't have to worry about the voltage fluctuation or generator noise you mentioned. May I ask your opinion about this?
There is no problem under those conditions of use. As long as there are no problems with the specifications of the 24V DC/DC converter you are using, you should be fine. A common problem is converter noise mixed into the PA3s output. The only way to know this is to actually try it.

k_sze

I just received my PA3s. It seems quite powerful, and the sound is clean and clear (even via my KEF Q100 speakers, which aren't the best). My little gripe with it is in terms of usability: the speaker wire binding posts on my unit have the through holes all going up-down, instead of sideways or at least at a 45 degree angle; and the holes are tiny. These factors make it painful to wire without mini banana plugs. In particular, the black wires at the bottom tend to cause the rear of the unit to be jacked up a bit off the desk unless you've got *really* soft wires.

In contrast, the S.M.S.L. DA-6 has much more sensible speaker wire binding posts: bigger through-holes and the through-holes are at 45 degree angles.

Skyra

Could anyone help me showing how to disassembele this amplifier? I am quite an expert on repairs in audio, but this thing got me..... I removed the back panel screws, the board starts to slide out, but after about two inches is is stuck. How on the earth can I disconnect the front panel to PCB cable??

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Could anyone help me showing how to disassembele this amplifier? I am quite an expert on repairs in audio, but this thing got me..... I removed the back panel screws, the board starts to slide out, but after about two inches is is stuck. How on the earth can I disconnect the front panel to PCB cable??
This is for the PA3, but perhaps is useful for the PA3s as well

Post in thread 'Topping PA3: subjective impressions'
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...g-pa3-subjective-impressions.7642/post-573109

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks a lot, this is it! Well, I don't know where I can get the necessary extra long shaft 2 mm hex screwdriver, but I'll try.....
Manufacturer's site:

Skyra

Well, it's OK that they carry that line, but in my country (Hungary) no similar product exists or stocked by any dealer.... I'll try to order one from Germany.
Anyway, that's a quite stupid idea to mechanically construct an audio gear that way, necessitating the use of very specialized tools. :(

Top Bottom