• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping PA3: subjective impressions

john11

There are no problems with the operation of PA3s.
Thanks! I ask because it was mentioned earlier that the stock power supply voltage is too high, and the amp would probably work better at 19 volts. What do you think of this

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks! I ask because it was mentioned earlier that the stock power supply voltage is too high, and the amp would probably work better at 19 volts. What do you think of this
The PA3s can run on 19V, but in my experience the sound quality is better with a 24V power supply. I feel a difference in the driving force of the speakers. I always used the maximum voltage of 26V.

john11

The PA3s can run on 19V, but in my experience the sound quality is better with a 24V power supply. I feel a difference in the driving force of the speakers. I always used the maximum voltage of 26V.
Thanks!
According to the manufacturer infineon: " MA12070 is a highly efficient, fully integrated, digital audio power amplifier IC, based on multi-level switching technology. It supports a 4-26V supply voltage range "
Wouldn't a supply voltage of 26 volts be dangerous, any little power supply spike could cause a problem

I've got a 19v 12 amp power supply which i'm wanting to try with the PA3s. Would all that extra current add anything to the sound

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Thanks!
According to the manufacturer infineon: " MA12070 is a highly efficient, fully integrated, digital audio power amplifier IC, based on multi-level switching technology. It supports a 4-26V supply voltage range "
Wouldn't a supply voltage of 26 volts be dangerous, any little power supply spike could cause a problem

I've got a 19v 12 amp power supply which i'm wanting to try with the PA3s. Would all that extra current add anything to the sound
I checked the PA3s PC board, and there are no problems with the parts even with a 26V power supply.
The 19V/12A power supply has plenty of room. In reality, PA3s can operate sufficiently with about 5A.

john11

I checked the PA3s PC board, and there are no problems with the parts even with a 26V power supply.
The 19V/12A power supply has plenty of room. In reality, PA3s can operate sufficiently with about 5A.
Thanks! Do you know if this amp is suitable for use with 4 ohm speakers. What i mean is most amps can handle 4 ohm loudspeakers as the spec sheet usually states, but they mean a speaker with a nominal mpedance of 4 ohms, the minimum impedance tends to be about 2 ohms less.
Looking at speaker frequency response graphs and impedance curves, there is usually a speaker resonant peak at 400hz or so, then the impedance dips before and after this peak, usually dipping down to 2 ohms at approximatly 1khz. For some speakers the minimum impedance can go down to 1.8 or 1.5 ohms.
Would this PA3s amp be happy with this, driving speakers that can go down to slightly less that 2 ohms minimum impedance

Top Bottom