• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

topping p50 power supply for my rme dac

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm thinking about getting this low noise power supply for my rme adi 2 dac. Before you guys crucify me because of no sound improvement hear me out.

The power supply that came with my rme adi 2 dac has a bit of coil whine which I find common in any electronic now a days. I seem to be extremely sensitive to coil whine, very seldomly does a device not have it, for me at least. Strangely enough my v1 rme adi 2 dac power supply didn't make any noise, but I sold the entire unit. .

So the stock unit is about 50-60$, I thought of maybe getting one that's a little bit over engineered (noise and ruggedness) and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this decision. I read the review @amirm did on power supplies and I think some of it went over my head unfortunately. Did the power supplies change the output of the dac but only outside the human spectrum of hearing, or was there no change, or a minor change? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking about getting this low noise power supply for my rme adi 2 dac. Before you guys crucify me because of no sound improvement hear me out.

The power supply that came with my rme adi 2 dac has a bit of coil whine which I find common in any electronic now a days. I seem to be extremely sensitive to coil whine, very seldomly does a device not have it, for me at least. Strangely enough my v1 rme adi 2 dac power supply didn't make any noise, but I sold the entire unit. .

So the stock unit is about 50-60$, I thought of maybe getting one that's a little bit over engineered (noise and ruggedness) and I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this decision. I read the review @amirm did on power supplies and I think some of it went over my head unfortunately. Did the power supplies change the output of the dac but only outside the human spectrum of hearing, or was there no change, or a minor change? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
For what it's worth the last several switching power supplies that came with gear I bought are totally silent. I don't think you are going to hear a sound improvement with a higher quality power supply.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I read the review @amirm did on power supplies and I think some of it went over my head unfortunately. Did the power supplies change the output of the dac but only outside the human spectrum of hearing, or was there no change, or a minor change? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
No power supply has made any difference that is remotely audible.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
So does it change output outside the realm of human hearing? Not that it matters... Just curious. I saw a archimago review where the improvement was there but so minor it would not make an audible difference too.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Get your PSU replaced under warranty. RME suggests there is no improvement using boutique PSUs due to the design of the DAC.

OP
S

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Yeah, i will call them tomorrow. I did figure they would expect me to ship it back to them before they would send me one which would be kinda inconvenient. But if i get another supply that should be easy.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Leakage current and grounding of devices make huge difference in mains noise with single-ended in and outs. With balanced system, no so much difference. There still can be because grounding is a huge issue in precision electronics. And it should be differentiated for dac or amp.

Now it's a complicated issue. The p50 grounds the output ground to earth. So i don't recommend using it without being conscious about the grounding of your signal chain.

Mark K

Where can you get 1 P50 at this price? All I found is around 100 and even the used unit has similar price

Mark K

Thanks. One of my colleagues, a passionate audio enthusiast, has been working on his own linear power supply for years so I have been wondering if this P50 can really improve sound quality.

Top Bottom