• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping NX4 - What is a good Desktop alternative?

Hunts887

I currently have the Topping NX4, which sounds great, but I am using it as a desktop headphone amp dac.

However, I would also like use it to connect to the TV for Netflix and such, which would require an optical connection.

What desktop amps equal this (or improve on) that are better suited? I don't want to downgrade because as I say, I am getting a great sound from this little unit.

Thank you

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I currently have the Topping NX4, which sounds great, but I am using it as a desktop headphone amp dac.

However, I would also like use it to connect to the TV for Netflix and such, which would require an optical connection.

What desktop amps equal this (or improve on) that are better suited? I don't want to downgrade because as I say, I am getting a great sound from this little unit.

Thank you
that's a million dollar question.
what is your budget?
will you use it for headphones only? if yes- Topping Dx3Pro
if you need a speaker amp - add to Dx3Pro an amp. Research this forum to find which u like.
do u need 5.1 (or higher) audio decoded down to stereo or 2.1?
if yes - you will need an AV receiver. I suggest Yamaha or Sony.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor

Thank you
Is ~£300 too much? We have a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital connected to an RPi via USB for streaming, to our TV via Toslink, and (for good measure) to an Arcam DV79 via co-ax. It plays through our main system and the headphone amp is also good, even though Amir thought it was on the weak side.

Top Bottom