• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping NX4 interface with i phone xs

rallychief

Hi everybody, i have an i phone XS max, and a Topping NX4 portable dac/headphone amp, i have bough a genuine apple lightning to usb camera adapter type A1619, i cannot get any sound from the NX4, i have tried it with a 5th Gen i pad with the same result both running latest ios 15.3.1 am i missing something in settings, or just missing something, music source is spotify premium., is that the problem

Cheers Chris

staticV3

Master Contributor
Getting audio out via Lightning is a huge mess. One adapter cable might work on one iPhone model, but not the next one. Or it might work on the current iOS version, but stop working on the next.
In the marketing materials, Topping show an A1440, so I would give that a try.
2514591.jpg
music source is spotify premium., is that the problem
Definitely not.

staticV3

Master Contributor
am i missing something in settings
There's nothing to miss. It either works or it doesn't.

Have you tried your A1619 with a power supply plugged into the female Lightning port?
Or perhaps different sequences in which you connect the parts together?

OP
R

rallychief

Thanks for the replies everyone was frightened of powering the A1619 adapter due to not wanting to shove 5v into the NX4 which is self powered and damage it, would that not be an issue ?

edit i have also tried a lightning to mini usb adapter just a solid adapter no cable, which allows direct connection i phone to NX4 that gives no sound either

GeorgeWalk

I use the NX4 with my iPhone Xs all the time. You can use the Apple camera adapter or Lightning to USB adapater. Two things to check: 1) iOS version. My audio stopped working on one of the iOS updates; the most current version works fine. 2) The lightning port in the iPhone is very sensitive to dirt & dust. If you keep it in your pocket, pocket lint can get in there. Gently clean it out. Use a magnifying glass, toothpick, and alcohol. I have suffered from both problems.

OP
R

rallychief

Thanks for further replies, will try powering the A1619 first, i bought the XS max used so no idea how it was looked after so could easily have dirt in lightning port preventing low level signals from passing, will try that next is 15.1.3 not the latest ios ?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had the same issue with iPad. The adapter does not give enough power. I fixed it by using a higher wattage 5V power adapter.

GeorgeWalk

My phone is at 15.3.1. There was a bug in one of the earlier releases that prevented external audio devices from working. I don't remember which one.

OP
R

rallychief

Ok some embarresment, have tried it again and must have done something different ,or fired it up in a different order, and a message popped up on i phone which hasnt happened before saying " open i phone device to use usb accessory" which i did, and now have sound, but the sound level can be adjusted with the i phone volume controls, should a digital output not be fixed, or is it like the windows mixer type of situation, have to say it doesen't sound as good as i thought it might

staticV3

Master Contributor
iOS should disable volume adjustments via the volume rocker unless the external DAC supports UAC2 hardware volume control, in which case the rocker will control that.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok some embarresment, have tried it again and must have done something different ,or fired it up in a different order, and a message popped up on i phone which hasnt happened before saying " open i phone device to use usb accessory" which i did, and now have sound, but the sound level can be adjusted with the i phone volume controls, should a digital output not be fixed, or is it like the windows mixer type of situation, have to say it doesen't sound as good as i thought it might
Oh yeah. You need to authorize the device. Glad you got it going.

OP
R

rallychief

Thanks to eveybody here for all help and advice to get this thing working, static V3 have googled if the NX4 supports UAC2 but didn't get an answer, i think we have to assume that it does, as the i phone is changing the volume.

Cheers Chris

Top Bottom