• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping MX5 all in one or DX3 Pro+ and PA3s separates?

Cici

Topping MX5 all in one or DX3 Pro+ and PA3s separates?
For a desktop audio setup with a DAC, headphone amp, and power amp would you get the all in one MX5 or separate DX3 Pro+ and PA3s? Both available around $300.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
or this

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Some early adopters of the Topping MX5 reported usability issues with their samples in the thread below and it is not clear to me that all issues have been resolved

My ears would likely have a difficult time hearing a difference between the MX5 and the combination of a DX3Pro+/PA3s. I would opt for the combo IF the price is similar only because the combo gives you the option to replace one or the other device - if desiring an 'upgrade' or replacing a failed sample

The Douk Audio H7 amplifier was recently reviewed by ASR and could be an alternative to a Topping PA3s as could an Aiyima A07 amplifier

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Depends on what is important to you in the end: single unit or flexibility.
One consideration is that the DX3 gives you the option to move to active speakers later - again, only if that's something you'd be interested in.

Karkar

Hi
I've just connnected my dx3pro+ with Pa3s and it seems that it generates more power (it goes louder) in preamp&dac mode than in dac mode - is it possible and why?

Top Bottom