• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping MX5, A new device?

gr-e

Is it possible to update the firmware using the USB input on the amp itself?
Yes.

As of now, the problem has been solved partially, there's still noise from speakers when using the headphone output.
We'll have to wait until after the Chinese holidays to see if they can fix it.

Francisco

Olá pessoal, acabei de adquirir o MX5 e estou muito satisfeito com o equipamento. Ele funciona bem com os alto-falantes passivos que tenho de três maneiras, com alto-falantes de 6", midi de 3" + tweeter. Tudo funciona muito bem. Estou adorando a facilidade e simplicidade de poder colocar mais ou menos graves diretamente no controle remoto. Em termos de potência, não ultrapasse 45% a 60% do volume total com o Hifiman Edition Xs. Ele claramente tem muito poder de sobra para os Xs. Eu estava usando o Hiby R5s em 80% a 95% e com o Fiio BTR5 faltou potência. Realmente impressiona a qualidade que adicionou aos meus fones de ouvido (Hifiman Edition Xs, Moondrop Kato e Variations). Achei legal você poder monitorar pelo telefone juntos quando estiver tocando nos alto-falantes. Não notei nenhum tipo de ruído ou algo parecido em nada que usei.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 19.23.29 (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 19.23.29 (2).jpeg
    195.4 KB · Views: 315
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 19.23.29.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-01 at 19.23.29.jpeg
    184.1 KB · Views: 395

kmmk

Hi all, is there any update on the high-frequency noise issue? cc @gr-e & @Murkas

I ordered the Topping MX5 in December from Aoshida Hifi on Amazon Canada. Unfortunately they were unable to get units from Topping, and eventually contacted me on January 11th to request that I cancel my order. They eventually gained stock maybe a couple weeks or so ago, but I haven't reordered yet.

I've been obsessively checking this thread (and its duplicates) since the beginning, so of course I've heard about the noise issue. Because of that, I've been holding off on reordering. I think I will eventually, but my question is how long to wait. I'd really rather not deal with returns or firmware updates, especially because I have a Mac. I'm interested in the MX5 to have a low-noise headphone amp with digital volume control for IEMs, so speaker noise would defeat the point a bit.

Many thanks!

gr-e

Hi all, is there any update on the high-frequency noise issue? cc @gr-e & @Murkas

I ordered the Topping MX5 in December from Aoshida Hifi on Amazon Canada. Unfortunately they were unable to get units from Topping, and eventually contacted me on January 11th to request that I cancel my order. They eventually gained stock maybe a couple weeks or so ago, but I haven't reordered yet.

I've been obsessively checking this thread (and its duplicates) since the beginning, so of course I've heard about the noise issue. Because of that, I've been holding off on reordering. I think I will eventually, but my question is how long to wait. I'd really rather not deal with returns or firmware updates, especially because I have a Mac. I'm interested in the MX5 to have a low-noise headphone amp with digital volume control for IEMs, so speaker noise would defeat the point a bit.

Many thanks!
No updates from Topping since Jan 28:
tpdz.png

kmmk

No updates from Topping since Jan 28:
Thanks for the update. I reached out to them as well on the 25th to ask when they thought a fix might be implemented, but I got no response at all.
our initial estimate is that this is a tricky issue, and we may need a longer time to deal with it
I wonder what they consider "a longer time". Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and buy it, since it seems some people haven't had an issue. I'm not satisfied with my current unit.

rbq

Hey guys,

got my unit earlier this week so here's my five cents hoping it will make others' decision easier.

The big one - the high frequency noise - it is definitely there. Although not as prominent as I would expect it to be based on other comments in this thread. When sitting in a quiet room (23dB) I can just about hear the noise. This leads me to believe there could be different variations of this issue.
Noise is only present when MX5's output is set to headphones (O-2); not so when set to speakers (O-1) or combined mode (O-3). I have it connected to Klipsch R51M which are a high sensitive monitors (93dB) and that likely doesn't help the issue. Neither does my near-field listening set up.

Another point is that the moment I switch on my laptop and USB-C docking station, noise this combo makes can confidently overshadow whatever high pitch noise comes out of speakers. Thanks Dell.

At first I was sure I'll be returning the unit. But after playing with it for a couple more days I came to a conclusion that the benefits of this little all-in-one overweight the negatives. Especially at 300USD I paid for it (including VAT and shipping to CZ).

Hope this gives you at least a bit more insight as there is very little to be read on the internets regarding Mazda Topping MX5.

Witterings

Someone mentioned in a video review that you could probably set the output to both speakers and headphones and use a 6.35mm jack the rca converter and plug a sub into it if required.

Does anyone know how that may work out and would you still get the same wattage going to the speakers or would it halve the output.

birnenwerfer

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and got my MX5 last Saturday. As already reported by the others, the high frequency noise from the Loudspeakers, while using the Headphone-Mode, is definitely there and I can hear it clearly. I use a pair of Klipsch RP-400M as near field monitors and this is my first Desktop-Amp.

The biggest advantage of this device is the equalizer. At Treble and Bass on Level 0 (both adjustable between -10 to +10) the amp together with the loudspeakers doesn't sound really open and clear. Adjusting treble and bass to higher levels opens the whole sound much more. Additionally using the Crystalizer (in PulseAudio/PulseEffects under Linux) gives a really really nice clarity with this amp, due to the dynamic range it can deliver ;-) ...if it wouldn't have a build in equalizer, I would have send it back, because PulseAudio/PulseEffects is obviously not available when connecting via Bluetooth or Toslink to the TV.

I also thought about ordering the new Topping Combo (E50, PA5, L50), but now I'm a bit concerned about the lack of a build in equalizer in the DAC...yes I could use PulseAudio/PulseEffects, but that consumes system resources. And without an equalizer in the device you're neither able to equalize any MQA based audio files nor equlize the „drawbacks“ of a given loudspeaker or room.

But in general I think the MX5 is a good choice. But maybe my Klipsch RP400M are not a good choice (together with this DAC/AMP). They lack a bit openness and bass...maybe also because of the limited power that is available from the AMP?...

Murkas

Hi all,
Topping came back to my retailer with the following quote regarding the high pitch noise coming from the loudspeakers, that still is present in "headphone mode":

"Hello, we have been back to work for nearly two weeks. We're still trying to solve the remaining problems, but what we're seeing at the moment is more difficult than expected. Therefore, it is not possible to estimate how long it will take this time. This is why we previously advised customers to return them if he mind."

I have now asked for a refund and will wait and see if they are able to fix the issue further down the road. Will probably buy it again if they fix it as it fits all my requirements apart from the noise issue.

Grow

Hi,
has anyone experienced issues with the MX5 and MacBook? Device visible and selected as default output but no sound?

Sound86

Too bad, my SMSL DA-9 was faulty too and I was actually looking forward to some good news about the Topping MX5 :(

Lukeizze

How can I use this solely as a DAC or is this not possible? I have TRS to XLR cables and wanted to connected to Loxjie P20?

Lukeizze

Thanks for the fast response, does this mean I can connect a DAC to this and use it as sole headphone amp?

Top Bottom