• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping MX5, A new device?

Murkas

Hey!

Got my MX5 today, but I feel completely stupid - I don't understand how I access the Setup Menu.
In the manual it says:

"Enter the setup menu:
Press and hold the knob first when the power is off, and then power up to enter the setup menu."

I can read it but I cannot understand what to do. I have tried but failed a number of different attempts. I have also managed to get it into some mode that is undocumented, which says "dFU" and you cannot do anything with the device, apart from unplug it and insert the plug again to get it working.

Can somebody guide me? :)

Thanks, Markus

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
On my D30, You hold the front knob in while you turn the power switch on. Release the knob. Then rotate it through the menu, pushing to select.

Yea, their instructions are terrible. TERRIBLE. WAKE UP TOPPING!

Murkas

On my D30, You hold the front knob in while you turn the power switch on. Release the knob. Then rotate it through the menu, pushing to select.

Yea, their instructions are terrible. TERRIBLE. WAKE UP TOPPING!
Problem is there is no power switch on the MX5 :) Just the knob...

gr-e

Hey!

Got my MX5 today, but I feel completely stupid - I don't understand how I access the Setup Menu.
In the manual it says:

"Enter the setup menu:
Press and hold the knob first when the power is off, and then power up to enter the setup menu."

I can read it but I cannot understand what to do. I have tried but failed a number of different attempts. I have also managed to get it into some mode that is undocumented, which says "dFU" and you cannot do anything with the device, apart from unplug it and insert the plug again to get it working.

Can somebody guide me? :)

Thanks, Markus
Unplug the power, press the knob and plug the power while holding the knob.

Btw, can you please check if there is a high frequency noise/whine if you put your ear to the tweeter when the speakers are muted?

Last edited:

Murkas

Btw, can you please check if there is a high frequency noise/whine if you put your ear to the tweeter when the speakers are muted?
HAHA! Wow. That worked! :D

I will do it tonight when I plug in the speakers. I am building a new pair and finish is done now, but just need to assemble everything together.

Murkas

Yes, I have the same :(
That was annoying!! Only happens if the speakers are muted as you say (either mute or not enabled). Have you been in contact with your retailer? I bought mine from Audiophonics.fr.

AH, my D30 had a switch.
Look forward to your impressions. Short list for my desk.
Care to share your build?
Too early to tell and the whole system is new, so probably won't be able to tell what is what. The dac/headphone amp I used for some hours today though! The treble was very bright (with breaking s-sounds), so needed to adjust the eq. Let's see if it is something that I will get used to or not. Have had the Fiio E10k before.

Speakers are made out of black mdf and then hard wax oiled. Built using Vifa DX25T tweeters and a custom built woofer from Scanspeak. Sounds remarkably good already. Should be sounding better after some break-in.

IMG_9112.jpg
IMG_9114.jpg

Last edited:

jamonbread

I've read about some reports of the Loxjie A30 outputting a high frequency whine. I wonder if it's the filterless inferion class d chips that maybe the issue?

Do you hear the whine during quite passages when playing back music?

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Doubt much break in with modern drivers.
DX25T. Not to be confused with the Seas. DXT. Threw me off a second. I used a pair a while back but never quite came to terms with their "sissel" Switched to Seas. Most likely my crossover at fault.
Will we be seeing woofer that in their line, or something made for you only? ( prototype for an OEM?) I think they have some catching up to do. I also applaud the front ports as so many speakers are not suitable for "bookshelf" use.

Noise without input. Hmmm. My old SMSL Tripath is dead silent with no input. With my speaker upgrade, it is better than I thought. May not do an upgrade.

Murkas

Doubt much break in with modern drivers.
DX25T. Not to be confused with the Seas. DXT. Threw me off a second. I used a pair a while back but never quite came to terms with their "sissel" Switched to Seas. Most likely my crossover at fault.
Will we be seeing woofer that in their line, or something made for you only? ( prototype for an OEM?) I think they have some catching up to do. I also applaud the front ports as so many speakers are not suitable for "bookshelf" use.

Noise without input. Hmmm. My old SMSL Tripath is dead silent with no input. With my speaker upgrade, it is better than I thought. May not do an upgrade.
You are right! Corrected in my post.
The woofer was developed to fit in a commercial speaker, but was instead sold out to the public. It is quite beefy 5" weighing in at 1,5kg.
Read more here (unfortunately in Swedish). It is an old project but managed to get hold of the drivers.

gr-e

Yes, I have the same :(
That was annoying!! Only happens if the speakers are muted as you say (either mute or not enabled). Have you been in contact with your retailer? I bought mine from Audiophonics.fr.
Thanks, good to know that it's not just my unit. I have contacted Topping support. Got mine from shenzhenaudio aliexpress store.
I've read about some reports of the Loxjie A30 outputting a high frequency whine. I wonder if it's the filterless inferion class d chips that maybe the issue?

Do you hear the whine during quite passages when playing back music?
It's only there when the speaker output is muted.

There's actually a way to trick the unit into muting speakers without getting any whine: you need to press the mute button right after it powered on but before the speaker output is enabled. This way the infineon chip gets unmuted ~1 sec after power on, as it normally does, but the preamp section stays muted. This doesn't have any practical use, but it shows that the issue can possibly be fixed with a software update.

I wish they just used relays on the speaker output as they do with the headphone out.

Rambopappa

Hey all!

Just wondering what your impressions from the mx5 are so far? There aren't many reviews out there from what I've seen.
I'm thinking of getting something like this to drive my Heybrooks hb1 speakers (passive, 8 ohm). I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get the mx5, the Loxjie a30 or just blow up my budget and invest in both a decent dac and a power amp.

gr-e

Hey all!

Just wondering what your impressions from the mx5 are so far? There aren't many reviews out there from what I've seen.
I'm thinking of getting something like this to drive my Heybrooks hb1 speakers (passive, 8 ohm). I'm having a hard time deciding whether to get the mx5, the Loxjie a30 or just blow up my budget and invest in both a decent dac and a power amp.
I'm happy with the mx5 so far, aside from the aformentioned noise issue. It's well built, the volume knob has a satisfying clicky feel. It has enough power for my desktop setup and the auto on/off feature is very handy (works with BT input too).
I think SMSL AO200 would be a better choice if you don't need a headphone output. It has more power, built in power supply and a sub out.

Murkas

Hey all!

Hej Rambopappa!

As both me and gr-e has the same issue with a high pitch noise coming from the speakers when speaker output is turned off, I would advise to wait one or two weeks before purchasing. I have sent mine back and will be getting a replacement unit. I will update this thread with the outcome. I really hope we have received defective units.

The performance I sadly cannot comment on yet as I just had it for a couple of hours.

Best,
Markus

Sound86

I am really looking forward to some measurements. I was rather unhappy with my SMSL DA-9 because of QC issues and the need for a dedicated DAC. An all in one solution would be ideal for me, if it measures well. MX5 should fit the bill, espacially since I dont need the output power of the AO200 or even PA5.

Rambopappa

I'm happy with the mx5 so far, aside from the aformentioned noise issue. It's well built, the volume knob has a satisfying clicky feel. It has enough power for my desktop setup and the auto on/off feature is very handy (works with BT input too).
I think SMSL AO200 would be a better choice if you don't need a headphone output. It has more power, built in power supply and a sub out.
Thanks! Apart from the specs, the (assumed) build quality and sleek design is what appealed to me from the start. I'm a bit hesitant towards SMSL due to all the reports on QC issues, but the AO200 is definitely an interesting option. Too bad that both you and Murkas have the same issue, are you getting a replacement unit as well?
Hej Rambopappa!

As both me and gr-e has the same issue with a high pitch noise coming from the speakers when speaker output is turned off, I would advise to wait one or two weeks before purchasing. I have sent mine back and will be getting a replacement unit. I will update this thread with the outcome. I really hope we have received defective units.

The performance I sadly cannot comment on yet as I just had it for a couple of hours.

Best,
Markus
Hej och tack!
I look forward to an update. Hopefully both of you received defective units. There is so much to like about this model, would be a shame if this is a recurring issue. Good luck!

Murkas

Today I got an email from Topping Support saying that they have reproduced and fixed the issue in a firmware update. As I returned the unit for a replacement I cannot verify. Hopefully gr-e will be able to verify that the problem is solved.

Top Bottom