• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping MX5, A new device?

D!sco

It really depends on the phone and the software. A jailbroken one with the right apps? Absolutely. Everything else you'd have to try on an individual basis and a per-update basis.

Eneen

I've received MX5, nice amp indeed!
It's loud enough for my 20m2 living room. Sound is very pleasant and spacious. There's some background noise, but nothing important for me.

However I use this amp with samsung tv and I can't control amp volume with samsung remote (it's new one remote). Samsung has many brands available in config (for avrs) but nothing works. Maybe @JohnYang1997 can help here. I can enter specific avr model in remote config, maybe this is way to setup this.

Or maybe if Topping is using their own codes there way to add more volume up/down codes into MX5, e.g. philips codes or some other popular brand avr?

Using one remote for tv is very convenient, especially that now there's no line/hp out from tv and there's no option to control output volume. I guess MX5 is all in all also meant to replace soundbar.

Last edited:

Eneen

I've asked Topping to include IR learning feature, there's one in bluesound powernode. Hope they implement it one day.

Kobe beef

I received my MX5 today and had some issues and managed to fix it, which might perhaps point somebody into hopefully the right direction.

There was no speaker output, just occasional 'pops', not loud, of some medium frequency. This occurred with analog and digital input. Headphone output was fine.
I upgraded the firmware, which was 1.02, to 1.04 and the problem remained, but the frequency of the pops grew to about 1 per second.
These pops seem to be in line with some issues I've been reading online.

On a different pair of speakers everything seemed fine!

So I started looking at my speaker filter and dug up some old forum thread. My woofer has a small capacitor over the main woofer inductor, which helps for higher frequency cone breakup. It had no resistor in series with this capacitor. I've read this could tax the amplifier in a way it might not like. Other crossovers of the same manufacturer DO have a resistor in series with the capacitor!

I had a few 6.8 Ohm 10 W resistors laying around so I soldered them in series with the little capacitor, and now everything seems fine.
There are no pops, no hisses, and I can't detect any noise when the speakers are muted.

Since my other two amplifiers, all simple class D or T type jobbies, worked fine with these speakers, maybe the MX5 is sensitive to inductive loading or whatever happens when this resistor was missing.

Of course each speaker is different, but it might point into the direction of some form of sensitivity that this amp has to certain speakers and filters.
I have same issue with my Polk Audio MTX20.
No speaker output, just pops, whatever input.

Returning/refunding is generally the easiest method, but I still find the MX5's auto power off feature appealing.
You mentioned the issue on the speaker teminals, but is there any other way to fix this issue?

Kobe beef

I've received MX5, nice amp indeed!
It's loud enough for my 20m2 living room. Sound is very pleasant and spacious. There's some background noise, but nothing important for me.

However I use this amp with samsung tv and I can't control amp volume with samsung remote (it's new one remote). Samsung has many brands available in config (for avrs) but nothing works. Maybe @JohnYang1997 can help here. I can enter specific avr model in remote config, maybe this is way to setup this.

Or maybe if Topping is using their own codes there way to add more volume up/down codes into MX5, e.g. philips codes or some other popular brand avr?

Using one remote for tv is very convenient, especially that now there's no line/hp out from tv and there's no option to control output volume. I guess MX5 is all in all also meant to replace soundbar.
I've asked Topping to include IR learning feature, there's one in bluesound powernode. Hope they implement it one day.
I have completely same idea that MX5 can replace my sound bar.
Please refer https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/remote-codes-for-topping.10708/post-1395127 about Topping IR codes.

I got IR codes for the RC-16A and confirm it works my MX5. (but unfortunately I got compatibility issue with Polk Audio speaker...)

Leito360

Hello, i'm looking for an AIO device like the MX3 / MX5 to handle a couple of Sony's SS D105 (6 ohm, 60W) and a Philips SHP 9500.

Should I go for the MX5 or the Loxjie A30? Is there a cheaper option that let me plug the speakers and headphones at the same time and then select the output through the device?

Last edited:

gmoney

Anyone purchase one of these recently and know if the odd whining noise from the speakers when selecting headphone out is resolved?

This is such an amazing all around device for speakers/headphone and powers my HD800S perfectly fine with the added benefit of built in bass boost but that whining noise is so annoying.

Looking through the top hole mine says MX5 V1.6 (LYF).

robca

Anyone knows of any third party measurements for the MX5? I'm looking to replace my MX3, which didn't measure that great. Amir hasn't reviewed the MX5 yet...

My other alternative would be the Loxjie A30, which has been measured by Amir

Technically

Anyone knows of any third party measurements for the MX5? I'm looking to replace my MX3, which didn't measure that great. Amir hasn't reviewed the MX5 yet...

My other alternative would be the Loxjie A30, which has been measured by Amir
Greetings.
The amplifier chip, Infineon MA12070, is the same on Loxjie D30 and Topping MX5, they should measure similar.
I have the MX5 and I am glad about the performance and sound quality, the only problem I find is lacking the subwoofer output, but the Headphone amplifier is much more powerful on the MX5, if you have hard to drive headphones you should go for the MX5.
Hope I helped a bit on your decision.

robca

So... I got really sick of that noise and ended up adding a relay to the speaker output :D
It does look messy, but it works perfectly fine. The 2A relay kinda undersized for the speaker output, but I already ordered a 5A version which should be enough.

View attachment 212584 View attachment 212585 View attachment 212586
That is really good and I was thinking of doing the same (I don't have an MX5 yet, just planning ahead)

How did you find which pin on the IC to use as control for the relay? I'm not afraid to solder a thin wire on an LQFP48 IC, but I wonder if you had access to the schematic or how else did you figure out what pin to use. If I see correctly, from the picture seems to be pin 40 of the STM processor.

Could you share more info on the circuit you used? Not hard to guess (standard relay from a processor GPIO), but might as well copy if possible ;)

gr-e

How did you find which pin on the IC to use as control for the relay? I'm not afraid to solder a thin wire on an LQFP48 IC, but I wonder if you had access to the schematic or how else did you figure out what pin to use. If I see correctly, from the picture seems to be pin 40 of the STM processor.
Yes, it's pin 40. As far as I remember, I just traced it from the Infineon amp with a continuity tester (the trace itself goes through the middle layer).
Could you share more info on the circuit you used? Not hard to guess (standard relay from a processor GPIO), but might as well copy if possible
Well, I just copied the relay circuit from the headphone amp section. I've since upgraded it with dual 5A relays:

01.jpg02.jpg03.png

Mayors Income

Hi everyone.

I'm thinking about getting my hands on this unit.
I have a lot of devices and some weird setup I need help with.

My first concern are speakers. I have Revel concerta2 M16 and wonder if MX5 has enough power to drive them. Any thoughts?

As for the rest, the idea is to connect:

1. Turntabe (with preamp) to RCA
2. CD player to coax optical
3. laptop and ps5 both via HDMI to LG CX OLED and then back from it via HDMI ARC to MX5s either usb-b or optical input. LG TV has also an optical output, but as TV it is on the wall it is unreachable (HDMI inputs / outputs are on the side).

Is all this even possible? Better ideas?

Thanks!

Top Bottom