• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping MX3 ...Possibility of adding line-out

LDGXXX

My first post. I kept watching for a review here of the Topping MX3, before I bought it a couple years ago. It was a few weeks after that when the review came out. I was so disappointed to see such lacklustre results for the MX3. Maybe a lot of the high noise floor issue is in the amplifier. I really would like to have a line out on the unit, even if it meant using the line in jacks (there’s not much room for additional jacks). I kept looking for someone to do a mod on the MX3 to provide line out, or maybe a teardown or schematic so I might attempt it myself. Is anyone else going down this rabbit hole? A teardown would be great. Maybe someone has a dead mx3, as there seems to be a lot sudden death syndrome with this DAC.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Welcome! Can you provide more details about why you want to have a line output on an integrated amp? There may be a solution that is a better fit for what you want to do.

OP
L

LDGXXX

I really wanted a dac for my existing Sound system. Mostly I’m watching music concerts, and wanted something better than the headphone output from my tv to the sound system. I bought a cheap $25 optical dac from amazon and it sounded like crap. If I was to buy now, of course I would probably buy the topping e30, but I already have the mx3 so I thought maybe there’s a way to improve the sound. I also would like to use my old Luxman amp, again.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
I think you're better off selling the MX3 and buying a nice DAC to use with your Luxman amp. A standalone DAC like the Alex Cavalli Liquid Spark would be a good choice if you plan to use the Luxman's volume knob anyway.

As an experiment, you could try using the MX3's headphone output as a line out using a 3.5mm male TRS to two male RCA Y-adapter plugged into a line input on your Luxman. Play around with the MX3's volume to make sure it's healthy to the Luxman without clipping the inputs, and/or measure the MX3's headphone output voltage using a multimeter and a 1 KHz test tone to set it to 2V as Amir did in his test of the DAC section.

index.php

Top Bottom