• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping M50

nikosidis

What about gapless playback?
You know, for concept albums.

kopczas

The only complaints I’ve seen regarding powering the M50 is that it’s behaviour is rather flaky when the delivered voltage is below 5V (i.e., in spite of the specifications for 5V USB power is 4.75-5.25V). Otherwise, no complaints…

Edit… better power supplies are available for those with tastes…
How much power does it actually take?

rarewolf

How much power does it actually take?

It comes with only the 5V USB-A cable, and without a power supply. It needs 5V but doesn’t need much power, so typical/generic 5V USB wall chargers work. I’ve sold mine, so I’m not able to give you the exact milliwatts is uses…

rarewolf

Can I ask why you sold it?
Is it not so convenient in day to day use ?

The HibyMusic app was supposed to connect to the M50 via HibyLink (which it did), but I wasn’t able to get HibyMusic app for iOS to find my DLNA server. I believe that might be different now, but as far as I’m concerned, the point is moot because the WiiM is much easier to use if you’re into JRiver or accessing your music via DLNA…

#HTH

kopczas

if you’re into JRiver or accessing your music via DLNA…
I`m using Daphile system at this point. It`s great but it is a PC . I`m just looking for something equally convenient but smaller, less power consuming ect.
All my music is stored on HDD so I don`t have need for any network access.

rarewolf

I`m using Daphile system at this point. It`s great but it is a PC . I`m just looking for something equally convenient but smaller, less power consuming ect.
All my music is stored on HDD so I don`t have need for any network access.

Then, I cannot imagine the M50 streamer not working for you. Connect your drive to its USB, and your smartphone via HibyMusic+HibyLink, and you should be all set.

However, I’m not sure of HibyLink’s range. Its range would be conditional to it being wifi or Bluetooth, and thereby should allow you to move around your home untethered…

vadwiser

Hi all, I've bought the final stage for my rig these days, the Topping M50, a little underrated wonder if you ask me. I believe the only English review on YouTube is by Zeos. In a nutshell, is a pure digital interface for all your music. It is a USB / Bluetooth bridge with IIS / USB / optical/coaxial out and OTG, DLNA, and Airplay capabilities. The OTG works with my 5Tb external HDD and 1Tb microSD even if Topping states that it would work only with 4Tb external HDD and 256g GB micro SD. Long story short, the M50 could feed your music to any of your IIS / optical or coaxial-enabled devices, it has a tiny screen but most importantly it is compatible with HibyLink so your phone or tablet will do the job. Esthetically it is the last missing piece for my D50s + A50s + P50 (the last one powering all the above} i. e . my headphone rig for the Hifiman Arya and Sundara (soon to be sold). At the same time it feeds through IIS my main DAC, the Topping D70S, and brings my music into my amplifier and a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 500. End of story? Not yet. Has to buy shorter cables for the aforementioned rig, set up the DLNA through my router USB in , and have finally my music collection in order.

Attachments

• IMG-20230131-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20230131-WA0006.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 20230131_225442.jpg
    20230131_225442.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 130
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-01 at 19.45.34.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-01 at 19.45.34.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 158
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-02-01 at 23.01.53.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-02-01 at 23.01.53.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 138

Saponetto

Hi all, I've bought the final stage for my rig these days, the Topping M50, a little underrated wonder if you ask me. I believe the only English review on YouTube is by Zeos. In a nutshell, is a pure digital interface for all your music. It is a USB / Bluetooth bridge with IIS / USB / optical/coaxial out and OTG, DLNA, and Airplay capabilities. The OTG works with my 5Tb external HDD and 1Tb microSD even if Topping states that it would work only with 4Tb external HDD and 256g GB micro SD. Long story short, the M50 could feed your music to any of your IIS / optical or coaxial-enabled devices, it has a tiny screen but most importantly it is compatible with HibyLink so your phone or tablet will do the job. Esthetically it is the last missing piece for my D50s + A50s + P50 (the last one powering all the above} i. e . my headphone rig for the Hifiman Arya and Sundara (soon to be sold). At the same time it feeds through IIS my main DAC, the Topping D70S, and brings my music into my amplifier and a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 500. End of story? Not yet. Has to buy shorter cables for the aforementioned rig, set up the DLNA through my router USB in , and have finally my music collection in order.
Strongly hope you would fully enjoy your M50.
Honestly my experience was meh, but it's just my experience.

vadwiser

Strongly hope you would fully enjoy your M50.
Honestly my experience was meh, but it's just my experience.
Man, it depends on what expectations you have. I paid 215 USD for this, works as supposed and I cannot overlook the fact that for this money Fiio offers merely a dac/bluetooth transceiver like the BTA30 Pro...

vadwiser

My only, so called complaint, I cannot find out how to set it up to stream from Spotify (I dont have Tidal anymore, due to MQA oil snake). The back of the whole rig is quite crammed in this form factor. Notice the D50s' Bluetooth antenna's awkward position in order to not obturate the USB-C on the M50. Both devices have LDAC on Bluetooth but you cannot drop over of them because of you are using HibyLink to control the M50 it will make the Bluetooth unavailable for other connections so you have to use Bluetooth on the DAC. Do not pay attention to those RCA cables, those are soon to be shortened. Even the blue USB A-B will get a shorter connection than that.

Attachments

• 328968815_864858384818459_6269279221683952086_n.jpg
    328968815_864858384818459_6269279221683952086_n.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 104

bodiebill

I read somewhere on the Head-Fi forum that the M50 was discontinued because of crosstalk occurring when playing from an SD card or external USB disk. Any of the owners here noticed or measured that?

raif71

Major Contributor
I read somewhere on the Head-Fi forum that the M50 was discontinued because of crosstalk occurring when playing from an SD card or external USB disk. Any of the owners here noticed or measured that?
Never noticed any interference. I have both connection of sdcard and usb stick and never experienced any crosstalk.

bodiebill

Never noticed any interference. I have both connection of sdcard and usb stick and never experienced any crosstalk.
It may not be apparent when playing a track with two channels. I will try to find a file that is panned to one side completely and find out...

bodiebill

I can confirm the problem: playing a channel identification test (Stereophile Test CD 2) from an SD card with the M50, there is a considerable amount of crosstalk. To make sure, I detached my left speaker when the 'Left only' track was playing, and it was clearly audible in the right speaker. I will ask Topping. Does the M50 allow for firmware upgrade?

arshinov101

Be carefully with the power supply!
Mine M50 after 8 months is broken.
It was powered by auxiliary power out Icepower amp board 5V 1A. And everything was fine until I connected 2 hdd at the same time. There was not enough power, hdd not started.
Then i connected to phone usb adapter 5A 2A... In the next time the device did not turn on.

I send it in China with pay 40% of it coast.
Aoshida-HiFi told me: "It is scrapped, the modul is short circuited, and there are too many pins to replace. This machine is beyond repair."

I have older A90, D90SE, Pre90 it's very good and work fine. It would be better if I bought P50 power supply.

maruko

I can confirm the problem: playing a channel identification test (Stereophile Test CD 2) from an SD card with the M50, there is a considerable amount of crosstalk. To make sure, I detached my left speaker when the 'Left only' track was playing, and it was clearly audible in the right speaker. I will ask Topping. Does the M50 allow for firmware upgrade?
I can also confirm the problem. I tested my M50 right now with Stereophile CD test through usb ssd. Detaching one channel at a time from my headphones, I can still hear what should be only on the left channel in the right channel CLEARLY, and viceversa.

bt3

Hoping version 2 is in the cards.
The old school way to deal with miniscule displays was to afix a magnifier in front of display.
Those expensive players (Lumin, Devialet, etc.) with fancy pants case work make me frown.

Last edited:
Top Bottom