• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping M50

FuzzTone

Can you tell us someting about the sound quality vs the pi or oders?
I can't A/B it with my PI and PI based streamers like Allo or Pro-Ject because they are installed in different DACs, same room. It DOES sound wonderful through a D10 Balanced DAC into a PA5 amp.

F.van Dijk

I can't A/B it with my PI and PI based streamers like Allo or Pro-Ject because they are installed in different DACs, same room. It DOES sound wonderful through a D10 Balanced DAC into a PA5 amp.
I got a willsenton r8 and a topping d50s with p50.
I upgraded the d50s to a gustard x26 pro.
So now i got the p50 spare.....
That's why i was eyeballing the m50.
Butt the smsl and ifi are olso on the list.......

Stickler1

Luckily it defaults to the play mode (shuffle etc.) so you don't have to re select it for each session like in my Hyundai
It will play XL DSD files (through DSD256} but only the DOP mode does not generate an annoying and dangerous "new track" noise event. Pop goes the weasel. No biggee as it sounds essentially the same.
The displau shows album art and song title, but without artist and album good luck making a positive ID.
If you can read the tiny screen from .5 meter you pass the eye test.
A couple of times it burped ("skipped") on OTG but after minor fiddling it righted itself Hopefully burn-in will settle it in a groove.
I have all my local jazz in redbook on a 256 TF card. 258 hours on shuffle; the size limits are fine.
One issue: Changing USB drives involves at least 5 menu clicks. The same for BlueTooth. There are 3 unused buttons on the remote that's included. In a perfect world they would be assigned to TF card. flash drive and BlueTooth DIRECT.
Some day someone will build a player with full folder navigation and p;lay via remote. Not there yet.
If you get a "bad" track you don't like it looks like you can delete it right in the player.
I can play "curated radio" via drives like rock, hard rock, bluesrock, southern rock, 60's, etc. without internet.

FuzzTone

It's not a "streamer" it looks like it will do DNLA. It doesn't see my main WiFi, network password entry is onerous and I quit DLNA and sold my Synology years ago. USB is better for me. You can load single albums easier that a TT or CDP.
Without the intermittent internet.
The only "streaming" it does is BlueTooth from the phone. Not hifi.

FuzzTone

Luckily it defaults to the play mode (shuffle etc.) so you don't have to re select it for each session like in my Hyundai
It will play XL DSD files (through DSD256} but only the DOP mode does not generate an annoying and dangerous "new track" noise event. Pop goes the weasel. No biggee as it sounds essentially the same.
The displau shows album art and song title, but without artist and album good luck making a positive ID.
If you can read the tiny screen from .5 meter you pass the eye test.
A couple of times it burped ("skipped") on OTG but after minor fiddling it righted itself Hopefully burn-in will settle it in a groove.
I have all my local jazz in redbook on a 256 TF card. 258 hours on shuffle; the size limits are fine.
One issue: Changing USB drives involves at least 5 menu clicks. The same for BlueTooth. There are 3 unused buttons on the remote that's included. In a perfect world they would be assigned to TF card. flash drive and BlueTooth DIRECT.
Some day someone will build a player with full folder navigation and p;lay via remote. Not there yet.
If you get a "bad" track you don't like it looks like you can delete it right in the player.
I can play "curated radio" via drives like rock, hard rock, bluesrock, southern rock, 60's, etc. without internet.
The feature that I'm most missin' is volume (level) control.

Stickler1

No ALAC oh well. ALAC is not a universal format. ALAC works with iTunes, BFD. More important to me is WMAL support which other Shenzhen players do not do. ExFAT is fine for formatting

F.van Dijk

It's not a "streamer" it looks like it will do DNLA. It doesn't see my main WiFi, network password entry is onerous and I quit DLNA and sold my Synology years ago. USB is better for me. You can load single albums easier that a TT or CDP.
Without the intermittent internet.
The only "streaming" it does is BlueTooth from the phone. Not hifi.
I know its not.
I have a harddrive with content.
The gustard can do bluetooth, so streaming over bluetooth is no problem.
Playing local always was, so i hope this is a good sounding solution.

raif71

Major Contributor
1652359309505.png

Bought the Topping M50 from a local audio shop. Paired it with Topping D50s. Both powered by the power bank far left of the picture. Amp used is the Fiio A5. The setup doesn't need power from the wall socket :)

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think there can be issues applying EQ to MQA as it applies it's own EQ curve;

JSmith
Sorry for the delayed reply, but I know Roon has an algorithm to process PEQ without corrupting the MQA unfolding process—so I’m more inclined to suspect that Topping either didn’t get or chose not to pursue the onerous licensing process required to integrate MQA in a streamer.

IFi had tons of issues navigating that felonious process with Meridian for their Zen Stream—after a lengthy ordeal they were finally able to negotiate MQA passthrough at first, and then the initial unfold eventually. However, Meridian is so draconian and parsimonious with the financial stronghold they have sieged from the audiophile industry that the feature came and went over a slew of firmware updates as iFi battled to obtain licensing.

Not all folks are aware of this surreptitious scheme Meridian has forged to bilk manufacturers (and ultimately consumers) out of loads of cash—namely the exorbitant licensing fees they charge to put that MQA logo on a component—any and every component that even passes through MQA. Some people think they’re being clever by boycotting manufacturers who build MQA capability into their products, but they’re overlooking the fact that MQA has also connived with myriad record companies to obtain proprietary access to their highest quality masters (the “provenance” Bob Stuart likes to preen about).

So in essence, forgoing MQA also means forgoing some of the best masters available from a significant number of music catalogs. That means that even if the DAC manufacturer has high standards and totally disdains MQA, they’re still pressured to add that MQA XMOS chip to remain competitive—and since some of the top measuring DACs to grace Amir’s list (from Topping, Gustard, SMSL, Matrix Audio, etc) have opted into that cache, eschewing MQA-capable products means a lost opportunity to enjoy some of the best and most affordable DACs available at the present time.

I think it’s interesting that with the exception of this Topping M50, the vast majority of our esteemed Chinese manufactures (except for Denafrips, if you consider them esteemed) are acquiescing to MQA tech. Schiit, RME, Chord, and many other Western outfits (other than iFI) seem to be the ones who are opting out. My observation is only anecdotal, but I wonder what factors are informing which manufacturers seek licensing and which don’t, and how their decision is affecting their bottom line…

zebigirls974

Hi. So has anyone been able to enter their wifi password to connect to their home network ?. Or the DLNA fonction is just between music on a phone and the M50 ?. There is no letter or number on the remote, so i don't really see how to type the password. Maybe that a little keyboard appears on the M50 when you go to the wifi settings:):):).

FuzzTone

Can you tell us someting about the sound quality vs the pi or oders?
I have a RasPi3+ and an Allo USBridge Signature and the SQ is the same to me. They are going through different pathways so I do not AB them. They are different animals. The SQ is a lot closer than the features. The M50 needs no web and has no app.An apparent 512 GB SSD limit has cropped up on me. Maybe just a power supply issue, I ordered another one. It is still easier at that than individual flash drives for each genre. There are 2 USB-A ports so you can run both simultaneously. With a big TF card (all my jazz on mine) that makes 3 sources selectable by local OR remote. I can go from jazz to rock to OST in a flash.

Last edited:

FuzzTone

At the end of the day, Topping made this nifty thing because a certain amount of folks wants to play local files at best.
I'm among them, for sure.
Don't forget the Holy Grail, shuffle/random play.
As far as the power the M50 seems to like 5.1 VDC. I turned up the new LPS a lil and so far so good. Lower disconnects the USB inputs mid play.

Last edited:

FuzzTone

I see no purpose for the S.M.S.L. The iFI is a streamer, it requires internet and then gives you nested folder play -a totally different experience.
They are complimentary, not interchangable.
I have and would repeat having 6 streamers BEFORE the M50. But I AM doing most current listening on it. M50>E50>PA5. The combo only burns 19-22 wall watts from background to listening levels.
Just make sure to have something with remote volume. The M50 does not. I went from the D10 balanced to the E50 for it. All streamers do via a network play app.

Last edited:

FuzzTone

I have a RasPi3+ and an Allo USBridge Signature and the SQ is the same to me. They are going through different pathways so I do not AB them. They are different animals. The SQ is a lot closer than the features. The M50 needs no web and has no app.An apparent 512 GB SSD limit has cropped up on me. Maybe just a power supply issue, I ordered another one. It is still easier at that than individual flash drives for each genre. There are 2 USB-A ports so you can run both simultaneously. With a big TF card (all my jazz on mine) that makes 3 sources selectable by local OR remote. I can go from jazz to rock to OST in a flash.
I confirm that a 512 GB SSD is the limit, just like my first Bluesound and Samsung TVs.
The power supply apparently works best at 5.1 VDC. Lower voltage causes the USB (OTG) inputs to disconnect midplay.
Luckily the new LPS allows an easy adjustment. The SMPS I used interim flawlessly measures 5.13.

Top Bottom