• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping M50

JSmith

Master Contributor
OK, I was completely unaware about this one!
Yes this is new, appeared 4 hours ago on Shenzhen Audio;
Looks interesting...

JSmith

Blew

Not my cup of tea, but if this means that EQ (hopefully PEQ) is going to arrive to other topping products, a very much welcome product
Unfortunately it doesn't appear to support MQA. MQA + EQ is a missed opportunity.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Unfortunately it doesn't appear to support MQA. MQA + EQ is a missed opportunity.
I think there can be issues applying EQ to MQA as it applies it's own EQ curve;

JSmith

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It supports Airplay but ALAC is not listed, so possibly it supports only lossy Airplay.

LearningToSmile

EQ only available for local files, which is a bit of a shame. The EQ seems pretty limited as well, unless adjustment options are available but not shown.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My initial impression was underwhelming it seems to only support Bluetooth. Lack of MQA good. DSD support bad.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Actually a great device, but maybe Topping should talk more to users about their wishes for the devices.

For headphones, it would be nice to have multiple EQ presets.
- many users have several headphones
- Several EQ memory locations would make sense for each headphone
- 20-30 EQ memory locations come together quickly
EQ only in connection with directly connected storage media also extremely restricts the group of buyers.

Currently more of a device for niches.
If you are looking for a player with EQ options, then it is only interesting if you can manage with an EQ memory and have your music on memory cards or directly connected storage media.
Or as a pure stand-alone player with music on memory cards or directly connected storage media.
In the other possible applications, there are many powerful solutions based on Raspberry.

What an incredible chance the device would have with EQ on all inputs and EQ memories.

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Only 256 GB Max Storage support :rolleyes: is this a typo?
First thing I noticed. I've got a $80 DAP that can take a 2tb Micro SD card.

Saponetto

Its mission profile seems to be a simple network and file player, with DLNA and AirPlay support mainly via Wifi and two-ways BT... M50
Imho, the idea behind this project was to make a better version of the old Aune X5.
Only time (and tests) will tell us if this idea will become a success.

Anyway, it is a bold move to propose a "physical" file player in 2022AD... and honestly it tickles me! :)

Heeves

wrote to Topping support on some q's rasied here, attaching their reply

m50.png

guessing the EQ works on external HDDs

RosalieTheDog

A strangely untimely (dare I say superseded) device. Why no streaming options apart from Airplay and DLNA?

Fleuch

Looking for a digital transport, or USB bridge, not being bothered about EQ,MQA, or streaming, the specifications of the M50 suggest it matches my requirements at the right price, when compared to other products such as the Limetree Bridge or Silent Angel M1.

From the specifications, it (apparently) can use CUE files to control music file transport rather than having the irksome task of listing individual tracks on a playlist. With the approximation that 3 CD albums in WAV format require 1GB of storage, then access to 256GB, or approximately 750 CD albums, should meet the needs of most, but not all, users. The rule of thumb is certainly valid when using FLAC.

However there are a number of curious drawbacks:
  • if the input uses a USB connection, the output has to be optical or coax - why not USB-in; USB-out? After all, there are sufficient USB connectors on the back !
  • the M50 requires a 5V supply but, breaking tradition with other Topping products, there is no power supply "in the box".
  • not sure if the DLNA implementation allows the use of an Android app, such as Bubble, to to control file transport.
The specifications suggest the USB-C can be used as an input from computer, mobile phone, tablet but not from a USB HDD. This is not really a USB bridge as there is no way to input from a USB HDD and output to a USB DAC, that is unless the information is not as clear as it should be.

https://www.topping.audio/productinfo/816698.html

see: Any connection of IIS/OPt/COAX/USB (when using USB input, USB output cannot be used at the same time) - this implies that if any one of the three USB connectors are used as input, all three are considered to be input and neither of the other two can be used as output.

Surely Topping can do better regarding USB connections and at the same time include a matched power supply in the box.

Agreed that listening to customer feedback would be welcome. However the M50 almost matches my requirements so it is high on my "want" list.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Looking for a digital transport, or USB bridge, not being bothered about EQ,MQA, or streaming, the specifications of the M50 suggest it matches my requirements at the right price, when compared to other products such as the Limetree Bridge or Silent Angel M1.

From the specifications, it (apparently) can use CUE files to control music file transport rather than having the irksome task of listing individual tracks on a playlist. With the approximation that 3 CD albums in WAV format require 1GB of storage, then access to 256GB, or approximately 750 CD albums, should meet the needs of most, but not all, users. The rule of thumb is certainly valid when using FLAC.

However there are a number of curious drawbacks:
  • if the input uses a USB connection, the output has to be optical or coax - why not USB-in; USB-out? After all, there are sufficient USB connectors on the back !
  • the M50 requires a 5V supply but, breaking tradition with other Topping products, there is no power supply "in the box".
  • not sure if the DLNA implementation allows the use of an Android app, such as Bubble, to to control file transport.
The specifications suggest the USB-C can be used as an input from computer, mobile phone, tablet but not from a USB HDD. This is not really a USB bridge as there is no way to input from a USB HDD and output to a USB DAC, that is unless the information is not as clear as it should be.

https://www.topping.audio/productinfo/816698.html

see: Any connection of IIS/OPt/COAX/USB (when using USB input, USB output cannot be used at the same time) - this implies that if any one of the three USB connectors are used as input, all three are considered to be input and neither of the other two can be used as output.

Surely Topping can do better regarding USB connections and at the same time include a matched power supply in the box.

Agreed that listening to customer feedback would be welcome. However the M50 almost matches my requirements so it is high on my "want" list.
If you use the M50 with input (other source device) via Bluetooth or USB, then the M50 no longer acts as a player (source device) but only as a bridge. There are no more player functions, therefore no EQ functionality. In this mode, the M50 is just an interface converter.

What would be the point of going into the M50 with a USB source device and then connecting a USB DAC to the M50?

According to Topping's description, you can connect a USB storage device and a USB DAC to the M50 (player mode including EQ function) at the same time and play the music files from the USB storage device on the DAC.

Top Bottom