• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 with REL high-level (Speakon) connector question.

mkh1099

Is the Topping compatible with REL's high-level connectors?

kongwee

Major Contributor
You can use the un-used side of your Topping LA90 binding post. You can test the audio from the un-used side to make sure it has signal before you connect with your REL.

OP
M

mkh1099

You can use the un-used side of your Topping LA90 binding post. You can test the audio from the un-used side to make sure it has signal before you connect with your REL.
Thanks but I'm still confused. The Topping only has 4 binding posts [(+/-) for the L and R channel]??

kongwee

Major Contributor
Thanks but I'm still confused. The Topping only has 4 binding posts [(+/-) for the L and R channel]??
Ok, I got the model wrong. If you are using spade for your speaker, you can get spade connector for REL. You can try unscrew the binding post to the maxi and see you can accommodate two spade. If you are using banana, your REL need to accommodate addition banana for your speaker. This will increase the back space of the amp. The easiest way is to used REL bare wire and wrap around the binding post if you are comfortable with exposed wire.

matthewyih

I'm also researching LA90 with REL HC wiring. LA90(d) is class-AB so in stereo mode just connect the red and yellow wire to positives and black to negative as usual.
What's concerning is connecting 2 REL subs to 2 LA90s in mono mode. REL recommend connecting black wire to chassis or use LFE as ground reference (https://relsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004486647-Monoblocks-2-RELs-Connection-Method), but I would prefer to connect black wire to the unused negatives (L negative/R negative, shorted together in mono mode) binding post as they (correct me if I'm wrong) still represent ground.
Anyone tried this before?

Top Bottom