• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 vs HypeX Nilai for very efficient speakers (100db Klipsch horns)

jesburger

Hello!

At first I wanted to snag the new Nilai stereo kit (250w per channel), but then I thought to myself this is probably way too much power for a Cornwall type speaker with 100db+ of sensitivity.
I see the Topping LA90 has amazing measurements, and much lower power. It's even a bit cheaper.

If the price difference isn't an issue, which would you guys pick? Some notes, I already have an 18 inch subwoofer that will be crossed over around 40-60hz for this system. I'm building a Cornscala Crites Audio Type B horn speaker (15 inch woofer, midrange horn, tweeter horn).

Chain is desktop PC -> Mini DSP with Dirac Live -> Power Amp - > Speakers

The room is my unfinished basement, which is also my gym. Room is about 30 feet long. I don't play ridiculous volumes, in fact I usually play medium volume when my wife is around, but I do crank it once in a while.

Thanks!

OP
jesburger

jesburger

The topping is difficult to find in Canada though, with duty the price comes out similar. I agree about the watts, but I can just run it lower volume right? Or is it so powerful you get distortion issues at lower wattage? I know the nilai measures super clean as well. I figure the nilai would be more versatile if I ever change speakers. However I'm aware it's more than overkill

staticV3

Master Contributor
So I'm basically fine even if it was 500w per channel as long as I keep the volume low enough?
A 500W Amp will most likely have more noise at the output. But yes, if there's no hiss, then you're fine.

delta76

Major Contributor
So I'm basically fine even if it was 500w per channel as long as I keep the volume low enough?
you usually damage your ears before damaging your speakers.

I see the Topping LA90 has amazing measurements, and much lower power. It's even a bit cheaper.
don't discount support and warranty. Topping CS is, well, not the best.

manisandher

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The topping is difficult to find in Canada though, with duty the price comes out similar. I agree about the watts, but I can just run it lower volume right? Or is it so powerful you get distortion issues at lower wattage? I know the nilai measures super clean as well. I figure the nilai would be more versatile if I ever change speakers. However I'm aware it's more than overkill

If I were you, I'd go for Neurochrome modules... especially as you're in Canada. Give @tomchr a shout for further info.

I use Neurochromes with my 109dB/W@1m horns and love them. I also have some LA90s, but have never used them with these horns. I strongly suspect they'd sound similar to the Neurochromes though.

Mani.

Last edited:
Top Bottom