• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 524 65.3%

• Total voters

DrDen

according to the doc it is 2.2V in High Gain which is ridiculously low for balanced XLR no ?
I use LA90 as power amp, controlling volume by DAC. Even if I accidentally turn on the DAC at 00db (5V), there won’t be any clipping with low gain.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Bear in mind the sensitivity is the voltage at which full power will be reached (with voume at max if the amp has a volume control)

It is not in any way a limit on input voltage.

xaxxon

Is this amp supposed to be more reliable than a pa5? I didn't want to spend this much for amps for my secondary setups but I'm sick of dealing with pa5 failures.

Right now I've repurposed ahb2's from my home theater setup into my office and bedroom but want to move them back.

pepie34

Is this amp supposed to be more reliable than a pa5? I didn't want to spend this much for amps for my secondary setups but I'm sick of dealing with pa5 failures.

Right now I've repurposed ahb2's from my home theater setup into my office and bedroom but want to move them back.
Before the first firmware upgrade booting was unstable. The firmware upgrade must be done on windows only and with an usb A -> usb C cable (not documented). besides that it is working perfectly since 1 month...

James Romeyn

Dealer
Thank you, Amir for this wonderful review!

I own and enjoy Topping's wonderful Pre90 and yes, it is indeed a giant killer.

I consider the LA90 and am quite sure I would need 2 Bridged. The speakers employed vary in sensitivity, the lowest being 89-90 dB @ 8-ohm, 6-ohm minimum and benign phase angles, a reasonable match for Bridged LA90.

With Pre90 > 2 Bridged LA90s > 90 dB speaker, which sensitivity and level setting is ideal on the LA90s?

I'd love to hear the results of an AB test, LA90 vs. Benchmark AHB2 w/the speaker load identified for reference.

Thanks for your kind help.

Sieniek

I believe amps like the Neurochrome MODULUS series, the recent batches of Purifi and NCore modules, and the Benchmark AHB2 are endgame if you want fidelity. Numbers prove this. If someone wants color then it is another matter.
What do you mean by recent batches of Purifi ? Is that mean there been any problem with old batches ?

I have Audiophonics Purifi mono amps and that's why I'm asking. I bought them in the first half of 2021.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
What do you mean by recent batches of Purifi ? Is that mean there been any problem with old batches ?

I have Audiophonics Purifi mono amps and that's why I'm asking. I bought them in the first half of 2021.

No, I just meant the latest stuff.

F1308

Major Contributor
:):):)If such exists, I respectfully request a link referencing a coming Topping higher powered Class AB amp. TX!
I still find none yet to guide you onto, but engineers are happily earning their hard earned money and are always keen to realising their dreams, be it as AB, D or whatever, a fact to add to Christmas being again around the corner...

:):):):)

okok

class ab?
what chip is this using? any tear down
is it opamp

DrDen

I still find none yet to guide you onto, but engineers are happily earning their hard earned money and are always keen to realising their dreams, be it as AB, D or whatever, a fact to add to Christmas being again around the corner...

:):):):)
Some people should write to Santa. He really can save their hard earned money.

El_Arte

I was selling this amplifier made in a small-lot production in 2011 at $2500. You speak about arm chair engineers, may I humbly ask if you are a real engineer? In what field?

View attachment 202479

Description

Solid state, dual mono design, stereo power amplifier. Inputs: 1 pair balanced (XLR). Outputs: 2 pairs binding posts. Protection circuits: DC output, AC current overload, DC current overload.

Specifications

• Output power 2 x 300W/4 ohm, 2 x 150W/8 ohm
  • Input impedance 94kohm balanced
  • Frequency range 0.5Hz - 130kHz (-3dB)
  • Harmonic distortion <0.03%/100W/8 ohm
  • CCIF 19+20kHz intermodulation distortion <0.03%/40Vp/8 ohm
  • Slew rate >80V/us
  • Gain 27dB
  • Dimensions 450 x 440 x 190mm
  • Weight 30kg approx.

Slew rate >80V/us

OMG

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
You are making an assumption that what you do not hear does not affect the music you are listening to.
If on your room calibration software you cut off all frequencies above 17K, It will sound different than if you let it go all the way to 20k. This is despite the fact that you can not hear anything above 17K. It is because those frequencies do affect the total sound. Hence noises at levels you do not hear do effect the frequencies and music you are listening to.
I find it incredible how religion also wants to take root in the world of science. And so we are faced with people who can swear on their loved ones to hear a difference day and night between two amps at -100 and -121db when they normally wouldn't be able to hear distortion at -50db (and I swear, it's really hard to recognize. ....)
Most of us (including me) have enormous difficulty distinguishing an MP3 320kb / s from a HiRes file, but just seeing and knowing that that model offers even greater "purity" makes us feel this feeling so clearly ... .
Listen without looking, you may find that you can't tell your LA9 even from a € 50 nobsound

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank You Mr. Topping.

This LA90 amplifier is just what I was asking for. One of those 3 Watt into 16 Ohms Topping headphone amplifiers gets too hot driving a pair of JBL2451’s with Aquaplas diaphragm Compression Drivers. No muss, no fuss and no hiss.

The second LA90 drives a pair of 10 Inch jbl2123, 101 dB’s at 1 watt at 1 meter mid-ranges.

The third LA90 drives a pair of 98 dB’s at 1 watt at 1 Meter JBL2226 Bass drivers.

Those 6 ½ inch Long X-Max things need not apply.

10 total Watts will drive you out of the room.

Thanks DT

If 50 Watts is not enough, don’t buy it.

F1308

Major Contributor
Which L12 series are you talking about ? Which brand ? Unless we have to read back full pages of this thread, your post is somehow mysterious.
I simply said I was to wait for the next Topping power amplifier, which is assumed to be better, more powerful and more expensive.

okok

lm3886 can be this poweful? big negative feedback? some $50 amp using the same chip

James Romeyn

Dealer
Are LA90 output transistors SMD's? Are the output transistors MOSFET or bipolar? TX!

Toku

Major Contributor
lm3886 can be this poweful? big negative feedback? some $50 amp using the same chip
Are LA90 output transistors SMD's? Are the output transistors MOSFET or bipolar? TX!
The device used for LA90 is TI's LM3886.
High performance is achieved with this chip and multiple NFBs.
The LM3886 case can be purchased for around $5~$10.
See datasheet for details.

Vincentponcet

Forum Donor
Top Bottom