• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 524 65.3%

• Total voters

Selkirks

Did new firmware fix the one that went into protection? @Selkirks ?

Sadly the firmware update did not fix the amp. With that said, the update process is easy enough for luddites to perform. The technology challenged considering the LA90 shouldn't be intimidated by it.

Removing the power and all other cords for 12 hours did nothing. I liked the LA90 enough that I'd get another if my issue turns out to be a one off.

eboleyn

Forum Donor
It use to be common for beta testers to get free product. :D
True, but the profit vs. build cost margins were WAYYY higher "back in the day". From an inflation-adjusted point of view, the $500 - $1000 stereo from ~1970 would be like 10X that in current pricing. The $5000 - $10000 category of amps and stereos indeed have much more customer service/etc. going on.

Topping also runs a pretty lean operation from what little I can tell, so I'm not surprised at them having growing pains in what is for them nearly a new product category. By definition, if you buy the "low cost" option, you're not going to be able to get the proverbial "golden treatment" or whatever.

Frankly I'm surprised the Topping products I've bought have been as reliable as they have given their pricing. I've had zero failures with maybe a half dozen or so I've gotten over time, and reviews of them are not full of "lemon!" claims.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It doesn't, but designers are lazy and think they need a microcontroller in everything instead of building things properly.
Nothing wrong with a microcontroller. Can reduce costs and design effort.

BUT.

The design STILL has to be (fucking) built properly.

:)

tomchris

It is an unfortunate situation when problems of this kind arise. However, it is better that the problem occurred so soon after using the amplifier rather than a month or two from now.

By the way, a single multifunctional On/Off/Select button is not good design practice.

Will PCB shots of the Topping LA90 be released at some point?

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's what customers are for.
As long as they pay them, that’s fine. HeathKit used to pay house wives to complete their kits and fine tune their procedures. They even advertised their kits as “house wife tested”.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

mocenigo

Major Contributor
As long as they pay them, that’s fine. HeathKit used to pay house wives to complete their kits and fine tune their procedures. They even advertised their kits as “house wife tested”.

Nah, rewarding people for their work is so old fashioned.

dmc

Topping LA90 First Impressions Followup Followup

And one more thing...
Attempting to verify my LA90 firmware version, I discovered that the instructions at https://www.tpdz.net/newsinfo/642479.html do not work for a Mac (Intel or M1) running Monterey 12.3.1 or for a PC running Windows XP. Neither system type is willing to mount the LA90 as a drive. A PC running Windows 10 Pro 21H1 was able to do so. Note that the instructions say "Turn off the LA90" which I believe means "unplug the LA90 power brick from the wall and wait 60 seconds". Anyway, I had been running Version 1.2 of the firmware, and I have just updated to Version 1.3 using Windows 10. So far so good, both versions have worked for me.

cheers,
dmc

jamescarter1982

anyone got any speaker suggestions for this amplifier for an average sized living room ? I was thinking the fane 15300tc , volt cx220 or some other large efficient coaxial or 2way pa based speaker ? I'm interested in putting together a system with these ultra low distortion Amos snd days from topping and was thinking about suitable speakers ?

daniboun

Major Contributor
anyone got any speaker suggestions for this amplifier for an average sized living room ? I was thinking the fane 15300tc , volt cx220 or some other large efficient coaxial or 2way pa based speaker ? I'm interested in putting together a system with these ultra low distortion Amos snd days from topping and was thinking about suitable speakers ?

Will give a test by the end of the month. I am using 100% Seas floor speakers with Beryllium Seas tweeters, my living room is about 30M2.
Speakers sensitivity : 87 dB (2,83 V/1 m)
Will let you know asap )

jamescarter1982

Will give a test by the end of the month. I am using 100% Seas floor speakers with Beryllium Seas tweeters, my living room is about 30M2.
Will let you know asap )
OK thanks very much I'd be interested to hear more about your speakers as well ?? thanks

daniboun

Major Contributor
OK thanks very much I'd be interested to hear more about your speakers as well ?? thanks

Will share pictures ) XTZ floor speakers with spécial crossover designed for the Seas Beryllium tweeters. This a 3 wired speakers ready for tri-amp. You can also ajust the gain for each woofer, that is a nice option !

Attachments

• 2372731720.jpg
    2372731720.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 20220414_221034.jpg
    20220414_221034.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 188

Tusoli5

Will let you know asap )
Good! You'll be able to compare it with PA5 also, as you owned one. :)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How long have you owned the topping products?
About 2 years now - I still have the E30 feeding into Gishelli headsphone amp, and the D90 given to my friend who is currently using it as a pure direct DAC (I needed a DAC with room correction and more channels for subwoofer bass management).

Literally, just received the Topping D30 Pro this week to be paired with my Trinnov Alt16 to expand it to 18 channels (more subswoofers). Let's hope the D30 Pro will be as durable!

Last edited:

Hemi-Demon

Maybe $800 isn't so bad.

Check this out
25W x 2 @ 8ohms
$6,250 US

We need to get one of these to Amor for testing:eek:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom