• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 524 65.3%

• Total voters

DesertHawk

It's interesting when comparing this review to the Crown XLS 2502 https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../crown-xls2502-stereo-amplifier-review.10627/

With the risk of generalizing, the people who are questioning this amp seem to be questioning the power.

The counter argument seems to be "rarely do you need more power than the LA90 has to offer".

In the Crown review, Amir concludes with "Lack of power is the #1 reason an amplifier can sound bad. Don't care how good the SINAD is at 5 watt. If you run out of power, you will hear distortion, lack of dynamics, etc."

Of course, that is in line with his conclusion for the LA90, namely, "The amplifier is not for everyone though. Power level is modest as compared to competitors. And you have that large external power supply."

It seems like we've spent 1000 posts trying to argue what has already been said.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
no. price, performance (newsflash: sinad several decibels beyond audibility is not the only relevant performance metric for an amplifier), features. it's a poor product with real compromises (poor power, inefficiency, not great with complex loads, not quite small not really big etc etc) made in the name of inaudible "performance". you buy this for bragging rights, so that you can slap a "i don't know what sinad is, so i bought the highest sinad amp" sticker on your forehead, just like most of the audiofool snake oil (except this has pretty graphs)
not great with complex loads? Please explain this claim. Poor power? Inefficiency? So is every class A/B amp on the market for that matter.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If their products are bad you guys don’t have to worry, it just means they’re destroying their own business. The ship will sink along with its captain. Consumer has a choice.
They seem to be doing just fine.

amper42

Major Contributor
That’s disappointing to hear, I was thinking of buying the aluminium remote for the same reason.

But since you have it, can you confirm that it is screwed together and relatively easy to open (unlike the plastic one which is hard to open without damage)? If that’s the case one should be able to mod it, like replace the IR LED with a better one, or reduce the series resistance to increase the output. Depends on how it’s driven I suppose.

The aluminum remote comes with a tiny Alan wrench. It's so small I threw it away with the packaging and later realized I needed to go search in the trash for the tool to unscrew the back of the remote. It requires a 2032 lithium battery that doesn't come with it. No directions included so you figure it out as you go. Once inside you may be able to alter the IR but I'm not sure how that would be done or if it would actually work. If you find a fix post it.

Enkay25

Well I voted not terrible....but almost on poor.

Why?

Well if you have been aware of how Topping began and how it achieved leverage in the industry, it will be no surprise that Topping gained foothold on the price/performance platform. Much of the issues of QC was secondary to the above. And topping was much excused for those issues.....for 1)as newbie company 2)for causing price disruption with good performance.

Somehow Topping manged to get much of the space in ASR. Company like Sabaj got less reviews. It will be enriching if ASR can test/review the newer and flagship amps from SMSL/Matrix/Sabaj/Loxie in a timely manner in as much as Topping products are reviewed. This can help us have a bird's eye view of amps from Chinese manufacturers catering to different categories of consumer (eg Matrix targets premium, SMSL and Topping to the mid-fi, Sabaj/Loxie etc to the lower ).

My attraction to Chinese manufacturers were mainly to Topping, Sabaj and SMSL. I somehow liked Sabaj more and owned the D5 DAC as a first Chinese manufacturer product. I liked it. Then I tried Topping D90SE and A90. Somehow I feel Sabaj offers more for the money. (Just look at the competitor to D90SE - https://hifi-express.com/products/sabaj-a20d-2022-version-es9038pro-dac

Almost same specs but half the price to D90SE.)

So even though I was anticipating a good power amp from topping from months......and after seeing how Topping priced PA5 and LA90 (with the SINAD tax lol) .....I am now more mellowed. In fact I am looking forward to future amp offerings from Sabaj, which is sure to come)

(I once shared my feeling that Sabaj D5 felt more well built then Topping D90SE even though D5 cost half the price)

Nowadays I mostly feel that the audio products from China has a single ODM or OEM with different companies catering to different categories of consumer with their designs and aesthetics. The components are almost same in these different categories. Somehow cannot shake the feeling that Topping is going out of my category. I am now tempted to buy the Sabaj A8 icepower.(audible it cannot be poorer by 10% from either PA5/LA90).

Bleib

Major Contributor
Well I voted not terrible....but almost on poor.

Why?

Well if you have been aware of how Topping began and how it achieved leverage in the industry, it will be no surprise that Topping gained foothold on the price/performance platform. Much of the issues of QC was secondary to the above. And topping was much excused for those issues.....for 1)as newbie company 2)for causing price disruption with good performance.

Somehow Topping manged to get much of the space in ASR. Company like Sabaj got less reviews. It will be enriching if ASR can test/review the newer and flagship amps from SMSL/Matrix/Sabaj/Loxie in a timely manner in as much as Topping products are reviewed. This can help us have a bird's eye view of amps from Chinese manufacturers catering to different categories of consumer (eg Matrix targets premium, SMSL and Topping to the mid-fi, Sabaj/Loxie etc to the lower ).

My attraction to Chinese manufacturers were mainly to Topping, Sabaj and SMSL. I somehow liked Sabaj more and owned the D5 DAC as a first Chinese manufacturer product. I liked it. Then I tried Topping D90SE and A90. Somehow I feel Sabaj offers more for the money. (Just look at the competitor to D90SE - https://hifi-express.com/products/sabaj-a20d-2022-version-es9038pro-dac

Almost same specs but half the price to D90SE.)

So even though I was anticipating a good power amp from topping from months......and after seeing how Topping priced PA5 and LA90 (with the SINAD tax lol) .....I am now more mellowed. In fact I am looking forward to future amp offerings from Sabaj, which is sure to come)

(I once shared my feeling that Sabaj D5 felt more well built then Topping D90SE even though D5 cost half the price)

Nowadays I mostly feel that the audio products from China has a single ODM or OEM with different companies catering to different categories of consumer with their designs and aesthetics. The components are almost same in these different categories. Somehow cannot shake the feeling that Topping is going out of my category. I am now tempted to buy the Sabaj A8 icepower.(audible it cannot be poorer by 10% from either PA5/LA90).
Well, supposedly Sabaj sent a DAC for Amir to be tested. Hopefully it happens soon (they should also send A8, I'd like to read the measurements). But I don't quite get why one would even consider A90 when the L30 is much cheaper. Sure it doesn't have XLR inputs but most people don't need 'em. Even the E30 DAC is superbly transparent. And heck even A D10 balanced would suffice for A90, no need for D90SE. There's really no need to spend a lot of money by buying Topping.
We have all managed our lives without L90 SINAD numbers, just...continue?

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Once inside you may be able to alter the IR but I'm not sure how that would be done or if it would actually work. If you find a fix post it.

You don't know if the issue is the IR LED being a low grade output, not driven hard enough, or the receiver being cheap, insensitive, or poorly mounted (very common).

You can always get an idea by using your cellphone camera (live) and comparing the intensity of the flashes to a TV remote you own with a good range. Most cellphone cameras will 'see' an IR remote LED and it will show up as purple flashes from close up.

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
You don't know if the issue is the IR LED being a low grade output, not driven hard enough, or the receiver being cheap, insensitive or poorly mounted (very common).

You can always get an idea by using your cellphone camera (live) and comparing the intensity of the flashes to a TV remote you own with a good range. Most cellphone cameras will 'see' an IR remote LED and it will show up as purple flashes from close up.

I would like to see the Topping remote work via bluetooth. No need to worry about which direction you point.
Audirvana has a cool interface. It's app can turn an iPad/iPhone into a remote control that lets you control the MBP connected to a DAC via USB. Once paired you can control your music from anywhere in the house. :D

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
The LA90 is very close to being garbage.
This comment seems ridiculous to me.
It will be enriching if ASR can test/review the newer and flagship amps from SMSL/Matrix/Sabaj/Loxie in a timely manner in as much as Topping products are reviewed.
Well that depends on whether the manufacturer decides to send one to Amir or not... otherwise it is reliant on a consumer drop shipping or sending same. So if you want to see more results on other products, send 'em in upon arrangement.

A large portion of Topping's market is in China itself, being almost 20% of the global population.

JSmith

Enkay25

Well, supposedly Sabaj sent a DAC for Amir to be tested. Hopefully it happens soon (they should also send A8, I'd like to read the measurements). But I don't quite get why one would even consider A90 when the L30 is much cheaper. Sure it doesn't have XLR inputs but most people don't need 'em. Even the E30 DAC is superbly transparent. And heck even A D10 balanced would suffice for A90, no need for D90SE. There's really no need to spend a lot of money by buying Topping.
We have all managed our lives without L90 SINAD numbers, just...continue?
I am now more enlightenment now lol. (I was eager for 'toppings'. But found out D5 headphone amp sounds same with A90. Lesson learnt)

Enkay25

This comment seems ridiculous to me.

Well that depends on whether the manufacturer decides to send one to Amir or not... otherwise it is reliant on a consumer drop shipping or sending same. So if you want to see more results on other products, send 'em in upon arrangement.

A large portion of Topping's market is in China itself, being almost 20% of the global population.

JSmith
I do believe some Sabaj products have been sent by manufacturer and waiting in line. I vaguely remember the company member remarking as such in a comment. (Cannot remember which thread)

Kitarist

Does anyone else have this amp on their hands? Care to post a sound clip or a video? :)

audiofun

Does anyone else have this amp on their hands? Care to post a sound clip or a video? :)

41 pages and 820 comments, and only 1 member showed interest for buying this product.

Hmmmmm. Anyway waiting for impressions of this amp in few weeks/a month

this is another failed product. almost no one is buying it.
since the launch date only 1 person bought it from AliExpress, one of the most popular e-commerce platforms.

Kitarist

If it would be in the 500 price range it would probably attract way more attention

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
You don't know if the issue is the IR LED being a low grade output, not driven hard enough, or the receiver being cheap, insensitive, or poorly mounted (very common).

Yep, but no matter the outcome, there is no way I’m going to lay hands on my D90. The remote is cheap and almost disposable, so I may try my luck there.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

JSmith

Master Contributor
since the launch date only 1 person bought it from AliExpress, one of the most popular e-commerce platforms.
... how do you know this?
df304ea57463f1bfb490e9e4a3b4b04ec57957a2-824x550.png

JSmith

F1308

Major Contributor
Well, it seems like Topping LA90 will be offering too much power for my next loudspeakers.

Top Bottom