• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 524 65.3%

• Total voters

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
thanks for the measurements@amirm .
this is a very good result, using the la90 in bridged mode with 4ohm load it produces more power and less distortion than the benchmark ahb2 with a 40% lower price.

I don't think that Benchmark reference is correct (it might be a single channel when using the AHB2 in stereo mode), the AHB2 will produce 500 W bridged in to 4 ohms as shown in this ASR measurement.

index.php

Michael

C. Cook

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You have an opportunity to follow up with a review of a product (which ranked 2nd on your SINAD list at one point) that a bunch of people are starting to have issues with now. You have it sitting there and are unwilling to measure it's basic ability to operate properly. It's tiny, no room?
It is so easy.... to insist on adding more for Amir to do. If he says that doing QC/Reliability testing is beyond what he does or wants to do, can’t that just be the end of it? He doesn’t “owe” any of us anything IMO.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To clarify my perspective and not come of as a to whinging old guy .

The engineering achievements are quite something to behold . Congratulations.

But the niche that is a good fit for the product is a bit narrow me thinks , not only because it does not fit my personal use case very well .

Re speaker sensitivity the mfg fudge the numbers quite a bit if they say 86dB and 8 ohm what they really says is 2,83 volt at what impedance curve the speaker really has and if the real impedance is at 4 ohm at some part of the curve that’s 2 watt not 1 watt for your 86 dB.

And yes it’s also that one now expects more from Topping, they can do it :) Now that they are expanding out of the small desktop product niche.

aravena562

I don't think that Benchmark reference is correct (it might be a single channel when using the AHB2 in stereo mode), the AHB2 will produce 500 W bridged in to 4 ohms as shown in this ASR measurement.

index.php

The comparison is with the ahb2 in stereo mode, otherwise the price difference would be US$1800 for the la90 vs US$6200 for two ahb2.

nawfal07

Hi al, I’m really new here. I know almost nothing about the science of audio, but as a scientist (different field) myself I really respect what this forum is doing, reading all the science really fascinates me.

But I’m also deep into home theater and previously somewhat in hi-fi, now I’m going into hi-fi more seriously.

Anyway, hope this is not a silly auestion, for this LA90 the promotional material says the balance inputs are “compatible with XLR and TRS interfaces”. I don’t remember them saying this with PA5, but does that mean we can use either XLR or TRS directly without an adapter? The photos looking like only TRS so I don’t think so but that statement have me curious.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't think that Benchmark reference is correct
That's right. Benchmark was dual channel driven at 4 ohm there. I just left it there as a reference.

da Choge

Forum Donor
This is crazy. I logged on tonight and started reading. When I logged on there were 26 pages of comments. I've been reading for maybe less than 20 minutes and now there are 30 pages in this thread -- truly crazy !!! . . . so many comments I may never catch up (only on page 7 right now, so forgive me for the following comments, as they may not apply by the time I catch-up).

All said and done, this is truly a controversial unit. Most brand amp power ratings are given @ =/< 1% THD distortion. At that level, in bridged mode, this unit has pretty great power ratings, especially for its price. However, what I was hoping for was a basic amp, simple plain fascia, NO volume control, and one balanced + one unbalanced input (but very glad to see the 12V trigger, and gain settings choice). When I saw the pre-release photo on Topping, I thought this is my next amp (or two); a real bare plain-jane power amp w/ hoped-for outstanding ratings (not the semi?-integrated one we see now). But, I'll have to admit, in the end, a little disappointed. A little more power, a little LESS features, and you would have had me at HELLO!

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I just spent half hour listening to LA90 with my Revel Salon 2 speakers. "Normal" listening level for me was at 1 to 2 o'clock. Loudness did not change past 3 o'clock. I played some at max level which was fairly loud although not scary so :). The sound was incredibly clean and nice. I could not fault the amplifier for anything. Putting my ear right next to the tweeter produced no noise with LA90 at max volume at high gain.

After the half hour, the right side of the amp was quite warm. Almost uncomfortable to touch. Left side was distinctly cooler. Heat is more concentrated on the bottom and lower part of the heatsink.

Last edited:

Bruce Morgen

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi al, I’m really new here. I know almost nothing about the science of audio, but as a scientist (different field) myself I really respect what this forum is doing, reading all the science really fascinates me.

But I’m also deep into home theater and previously somewhat in hi-fi, now I’m going into hi-fi more seriously.

Anyway, hope this is not a silly auestion, for this LA90 the promotional material says the balance inputs are “compatible with XLR and TRS interfaces”. I don’t remember them saying this with PA5, but does that mean we can use either XLR or TRS directly without an adapter? The photos looking like only TRS so I don’t think so but that statement have me curious.

As yours truly and a couple of others have noted, those are combination TRS/XLR receptacles and will work just fine with either type of plug.

bkdc

Forum Donor
It's been said many times. Fantastic engineering achievement. Very limited niche market given the limited power and inability to drive low impedance speakers.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just spent half hour listening to LA90 with my Revel Salon 2 amplifiers. "Normal" listening level for me was at 1 to 2 o'clock. Loudness did not change past 3 o'clock. I played some at max level which was fairly loud although not scary so :). The sound was incredibly clean and nice. I could not fault the amplifier for anything. Putting my ear right next to the tweeter produced no noise with LA90 at max volume at high gain.

After the half hour, the right side of the amp was quite warm. Almost uncomfortable to touch. Left side was distinctly cooler. Heat is more concentrated on the bottom and lower part of the heatsink.
“Amplifiers” = Speakers?
Running one LA90 in stereo or one?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Does this amp have a clipping indicator? I didn’t see it mentioned. It would seem like a useful feature on this amp.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's been said many times. Fantastic engineering achievement. Very limited niche market given the limited power and inability to drive low impedance speakers.
There is no issue with low impedance speakers. I just post measurements down to 2 ohm. Don't know why this rumor got created. Hardly any amplifier is rated below 4 ohm officially. But many work when used with music.

nawfal07

As yours truly and a couple of others have noted, those are combination TRS/XLR receptacles and will work just fine with either type of plug.

Thank you! Sorry about that, this thread is going too fast for me to catch up, but I’m still reading (going into page 14 now).

GeekyBastard

There is no issue with low impedance speakers. I just post measurements down to 2 ohm. Don't know why this rumor got created. Hardly any amplifier is rated below 4 ohm officially. But many work when used with music.
There's a “competing manufacture” spreading the rumor all over the place, and yes, I'm talking about the one and only @boXem | audio .

Top Bottom