• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 524 65.3%

• Total voters

nothingman

This strikes me as a big miss, and I say that as a fan of Topping generaly and happy owner of the DX3 Pro+. The gain and thus input sensitivity are unhelpful to anyone with conventional consumer output levels (vast majority of people), and then the power is modest and it doesn’t double down into 4ohms like AHB2 or Purifi, the form factor is funky and power brick unwieldy, and it doesn’t look nice to use like a proper integrated should. Who draws a picture and lists the features of their dream amp and comes up with anything looking like the LA90?

Last edited:

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will pass my turn too. The power is not sufficient versus the price. No additional remote control.

Reactions: gvl

AudioArchitech

The recently released Topping PA5 measured very well too. Really low noise floor… That didn’t last long, now a bunch of them are failing and getting warrantied for static noise and cackle pops. There are reports of some having their PA5 replaced numerous times and the same failures happening on those too. I’m just about to send mine back to HiFiGo in China, then wait for repair or replacement, and shipping.. And it seems like I may just have to do it all over again since it seems like Topping hasn’t solved the problems yet based on other people’s experiences so far. See the last dozen or so pages of Amir’s PA5 review thread for more info. Amir, I wonder if you could do bench testing for reliability as well and follow up on your reviews. Measurements don’t mean much if they don’t keep working.

pma

Major Contributor
Amir, I wonder if you could do bench testing for reliability as well and follow up on your reviews. Measurements don’t mean much if they don’t keep working.

I am afraid this will not happen as it is time consuming TBD properly, and Amir needs to produce many many reviews to keep the ASR going with high number of readers, contributors and supporters.
And it is not easy, I can tell you that sometimes I need several months to find out a hidden issue. Hidden issue like output stage oscillations due to fast surge from cable connected to the output ..... You never know and not everything can be simulated. You are gaining experience during the whole professional life.

gvl

Major Contributor
I am afraid this will not happen as it is time consuming TBD properly

Subcontract it to Topping maybe? Oh wait, they must have done already before releasing the product, or maybe not?

Reactions: pma

Hugo9000

We want to know the power increase though so here it is (with 8 ohm which is the minimum impedance):
Topping LA90 Measurements Bridged Power 8 ohm Integrated Amplifier High Performance.png

Now we get good bit of power at 95 watts with almost no penalty relative to non-bridged mode. Notice the massive gap as far as noise floor relative to Purifi amplifier.

Allowing for 1% distortion we get:
Topping LA90 Measurements Bridged Max and Burst Power 8 ohm Integrated Amplifier High Performa...png
@amirm Could you please correct the above graphic which says in red text "into 4 Ohm" if this is indeed the 8 Ohm bridged test for max power and peak power at 1% THD+N?

It keeps being shared as 'proof' that the amp was tested and stable in bridged mode into 4 Ohms, but you stated in the text that these tests were:
(with 8 ohm which is the minimum impedance)

So could you please clarify if you really did test it in bridged mode into 4 Ohms, or edit the graphic to show 8 Ohms? Thanks very much for your tests and review!

EDITED TO ADD:
The above was indeed into 8 Ohms, however, Amir later did additional tests and added the new info and graphs to his opening post. So check back to the beginning for the full measurements and his notes. He tested one channel in stereo mode into 2 Ohms, and the following test in bridged mode into 4 Ohms:

Topping LA90 Measurements 4 ohm Bridged Power sweep  Integrated Amplifier High Performance.png

That is beyond the specifications provided by Topping. Many thanks to @amirm for indulging us with the additional testing beyond the norm and beyond what the manufacturer specified haha!

Last edited:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
???? Obvious enough It will handle 4 Ohm bridged with the same performance as stereo
For a small amplifier it is impressive, spec-wise. Certainly there is nothing like it, so far as we know.

From a practical point, I see no reason to run it in bridged mode. The reason someone would bridge their amplifier is that they are looking for higher power. If one is looking for higher power, if that is the main goal, then there are better choices for less money. The full of Schiit guys will sell you two Vidars for less money, and you'll get four times the power.

I see this as a curiosity. Obviously others will disagree. Here is how I judge: two Toppings will set you back $1600.00. For that you will get 100 watts/ch (95, actually). We don't know how many watts it will get you into four ohms, or even less, because they won't tell you, and they don't want you to find out, apparently. You will get a 180 day warranty (possibly one year, depending on where you buy it). But you have to send it back to China if you want the factory one-year warranty.

With an AHB2 you pay a $1400.00 premium. You get your same 100 stereo watts. You get a bit more distortion. However, you will have 240 watts into 3 ohms (I'm reading their published specs). You will be given a five year warranty. If it goes south, you don't have to send it back to China for a part.

So with any purchase, you have to weigh value. It comes down to a personal decision.

For my part, when Topping can make something comparable in power to an AHB2, for half the price of the latter, then it will be something write home about. Or, if they can offer a comparable amplifier for the same price, but with better specs, and offer equivalent support/warranty, then I'll be the first to recommend the brand.

dsnyder0cnn

I've only had the PA5 for a few weeks. I plan to keep it for a desktop system, so no regrets after reading the LA90 announcement. :)

Like most folks, I was hoping for a bit more power in the LA90. In fact, this was a frequent request on the PA5 thread, so finding less here was more than a little astonishing. However, there's not much less. If my math is right, we have 0.57 dB less output into 4Ω and only 0.42 dB less into 8Ω.

In every other way, the L90 is quite a bit better. Overall noise + distortion seems to be a 12-13 dB improvement over the already excellent PA5 while giving up only ~0.5 dB in output. Looking at it from this perspective, the trade-off seems more than fair, even considering the price differential. How audible these differences are depends a lot on the application.

One more input and using XLR/TRS combo jacks is a nice touch, and having two gain settings makes the amp more compatible with both pro and consumer sources. I don't have an immediate application for this amp, but there's no question that, even with the modest output, it's a game changer. Price/performance decimates legacy competition like Pass First Watt products which have less power yet are still quite popular.

I think what would have pushed the LA90 into the "must buy" category for me is if it had included a high-quality analog high-pass filter circuit that could be switched in or out. Ideally, there would be a knob to select the frequency. This would allow that modest 36 - 56 wpc to go a lot further when pairing less efficient monitors with an active subwoofer. I imagine it's difficult to design such a circuit in a way that does not drag down SINAD, but if anyone can do it…

pma

Major Contributor
Oh wait, they must have done already before releasing the product, or maybe not?
... Ehhhhh .... you know again, time and money. Yes we may say money spent for this might bring more money in the future ...... One needs to realize.

usersky

Forum Donor
Decibels are just a part of the experience. That power brick makes the product incompatible with my idea of high quality, pitty for the graphs but they cannot overcome that horror. If I would get this as a gift I'd hide it in a 90s good looking power amp case, hide it from the sun and my view. Thumb down from me I'm afraid.

AudioArchitech

I would imagine that Amir has been using a PA5 for personal use ever since he reviewed it. Such good SINAD for the price, he must be using it. Let us know how it's holding up. @amirm, has yours developed the static noise issue? Follow up with Topping and see if they're having reliability issues with their new amplifiers and add it to your review please.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
... Ehhhhh .... you know again, time and money. Yes we may say money spent for this might bring more money in the future ...... One needs to realize.

Topping is trying hard to get into the premium segment based on the performance alone while cutting some corners in the process. IMO lacking regional service centers they will struggle to be successful in this. Shipping an amp for service to China isn’t exactly cheap and it takes long time.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see you've edited your post, at $499 retail it might be a different conversation.

In each of my systems I have at least 4 amplifiers so I greatly prefer not to have 4 additional power bricks, I greatly prefer IEC power cables as I can get them in the exact length I need. I admit for a desktop passive stereo system this is less of an issue.

I think me and a lot of other people are looking for something that can compete with something like a Hypex NC252MP which provides a lot of clean power at under $500. This just doesn't do it and feels optimized for a very narrow use case which I think explains the lukewarm response.

Michael
Sure Michael. Someone did point out to me my error and I corrected it, and I’m glad you responded because I owe you an amends too. I just primarily felt compelled to support Amir’s efforts, and as a Topping fan I think they’re striving for something and I applaud them for the effort. They didn’t quite get there with this one though. No hard feelings I hope. Peace. —Steve

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Topping is trying hard to get into the premium segment based on the performance alone while cutting some corners in the process. IMO lacking regional service centers they will struggle to be successful in this. Shipping an amp for service to China isn’t exactly cheap and it takes long time.
I applaud them for their efforts. The 'half way across the globe' thing is going to be hard nut to crack for them. I've said it before, if I was back in Shenzhen I'd be owning this, and their other products.

In a better world, I'd like to see the full of Schiit guys (sorry, I can't help myself over their goofy name) push the limits that Topping is pusing. As it is, the latter offer good value, but it's not up to some of the standards that Topping is known for.

DesertHawk

Sounds like the

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)​

might be the go to for those needing more power?
Well, any of the purifi or Hypex based amps. If you aren't in Europe then audiophonics probably isn't going to be your "go to".

Ingenieur

For a small amplifier it is impressive, spec-wise. Certainly there is nothing like it, so far as we know.

From a practical point, I see no reason to run it in bridged mode. The reason someone would bridge their amplifier is that they are looking for higher power. If one is looking for higher power, if that is the main goal, then there are better choices for less money. The full of Schiit guys will sell you two Vidars for less money, and you'll get four times the power.

I see this as a curiosity. Obviously others will disagree. Here is how I judge: two Toppings will set you back $1600.00. For that you will get 100 watts/ch (95, actually). We don't know how many watts it will get you into four ohms, or even less, because they won't tell you, and they don't want you to find out, apparently. You will get a 180 day warranty (possibly one year, depending on where you buy it). But you have to send it back to China if you want the factory one-year warranty.

With an AHB2 you pay a $1400.00 premium. You get your same 100 stereo watts. You get a bit more distortion. However, you will have 240 watts into 3 ohms (I'm reading their published specs). You will be given a five year warranty. If it goes south, you don't have to send it back to China for a part.

So with any purchase, you have to weigh value. It comes down to a personal decision.

For my part, when Topping can make something comparable in power to an AHB2, for half the price of the latter, then it will be something write home about. Or, if they can offer a comparable amplifier for the same price, but with better specs, and offer equivalent support/warranty, then I'll be the first to recommend the brand.
The AHB2 is a great amp
And good value, no one is saying otherwise. But it is $3000 vs $800 and has no preamp. Folks want the AHB2 at 1/2 the price. Well 2 x PA90 gets close.

This does not diminish the quality of either.
Neither does failing to meet our expectations.

The Topping can drive a 3 Ohm load.
It drove 4 in bridged mode, 2/ch.

You ignore the fact that the $3000 vs $1600 is not a valid comparison.
You still need a preamp.
And don't need the 100 W/ch in 90% of the cases.

Last edited:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Time for the reminder post.

Thread Notice: This is an Official Product Review Thread. Please keep your comments and conversation rooted in the product reviewed and/or the test results of the review. Off topic posts will be removed and a reply ban handed out. Please and thank you for your understanding.

Top Bottom