• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 524 65.3%

• Total voters

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I cannot wait to see the new Hypex Nilai500 diy stereo kit that sells for less than two LA90. Yes, it is not an integrated amp, however with many DACs you have a volume control and multiple inputs: in a digital system they functionally become a preamp. It should offer more power and similar low noise and low distortion.
Although I am looking forward to it too, from what we see reported here, the subjective difference between say an NC502MP and a 1ET400A is almost the same, so the Nilai500 should not be much different than those.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently have Smsl D300>LA90>Kef R3. Can't decide between preamplifier and second LA90 to further enhance sound quality.
What aspect of sound quality are you hoping to enhance?

How do you expect either a preamp, or second LA90 will achieve that?

SiamXIII

What aspect of sound quality are you hoping to enhance?

How do you expect either a preamp, or second LA90 will achieve that?
Preamp: use analog attenuation and set DAC in fixed mode. Also theoreticaly better soundstage.
Second amp: better dynamics.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A noob question, does LA90 use TDA7294 IC?

Why would that be of any importance ?

Has anyone built a linear power supply for LA90? If yes, please share your experience. Thanks

What would be the (sonic) benefits ?
They are bulkier, less efficient, heavier in weight and, when done properly, also more expensive.
On the other hand .. linear power supplies could have better longevity than SMPS and maybe have less leakage current.

Preamp: use analog attenuation and set DAC in fixed mode. Also theoreticaly better soundstage.
and extra pre-amp can only worsen stereo separation. It does not increase soundstage.
Actually most DACs perform slightly better when 1 or 2 dB attenuation is used.
Pre-amps, unless really good, generally increase the noise floor and would add distortion.

A pre-amp is useful when:
You need more than 1 input.
You need phono input and don't want separate RIAA amps.
You need more voltage to fully drive a power amp than the DAC can supply.
You need functionality a pre-amp can provide (balance controls or tape out or sub-out that kind of stuff)
You want to protect your speakers from accidentally have a DAC put out max voltage while hoping it would be at -20dB (happens sometimes)
You want to have a nice looking pre-amp or like the 'feel' of the volume control.

Volume control on the LA90 is fine (not so handy when using it as a mono block in which case an extra pre-amp or digital volume control (in or before a DAC) would be handy.

Second amp: better dynamics.
A pre-amp can not increase dynamics. It can only increase the output voltage and thus play louder at a lower volume setting.

Last edited:

SiamXIII

Why would that be of any importance ?

What would be the (sonic) benefits ?
They are bulkier, less efficient, heavier in weight and, when done properly, also more expensive.
On the other hand .. linear power supplies could have better longevity than SMPS and maybe have less leakage current.

and extra pre-amp can only worsen stereo separation. It does not increase soundstage.
Actually most DACs perform slightly better when 1 or 2 dB attenuation is used.
Pre-amps, unless really good, generally increase the noise floor and would add distortion.

A pre-amp is useful when:
You need more than 1 input.
You need phono input and don't want separate RIAA amps.
You need more voltage to fully drive a power amp than the DAC can supply.
You need functionality a pre-amp can provide (balance controls or tape out or sub-out that kind of stuff)
You want to protect your speakers from accidentally have a DAC put out max voltage while hoping it would be at -20dB (happens sometimes)
You want to have a nice looking pre-amp or like the 'feel' of the volume control.

A pre-amp can not increase dynamics. It can only increase the output voltage and thus play louder at a lower volume setting.
I set volume on DAC to 60-70 of 99, which is quite big attenuation.
As for dynamics - it was about second amp.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Dynamics is not changed using a second amp. Only when using an amplifier with a huge amount of odd order harmonics the dynamics could become smaller but in perception has the opposite effect as the difference between peaks and the rest of the signal becomes slightly smaller.

60-70 of 99 in a linear scale (think Windows volume slider) is -4dB to -3dB.
could also be that you have 99 steps in which case the attenuation could be around -15 -20 dB or so (more likely when using it as volume control)
-15 to -20dB is not a problem for any half decent amp and won't affect 'sound quality'.
This also depends on the output voltage of the DAC (0dBFS) as well as the gain of the amp and efficiency of the speakers.

SiamXIII

-15 to -20dB is not a problem for any half decent amp and won't affect 'sound quality'.
even if done in digital domain on DAC?
This also depends on the output voltage of the DAC (0dBFS) as well as the gain of the amp and efficiency of the speakers.
DAC outputs 4.7 Vrms in preamp-mode. Speaker efficiency is 87db.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
even if done in digital domain?
When properly done volume control is done in at least 32 bit so is no problem.
The practical limitation lies in the noise floor of the DAC.
As long as you do not hear any noise when playing a file that has a (dithered) '0' playing the volume control will not degrade the sound quality in an audible way.
Notice that a dithered '0' file should be used to determine the practical noise floor because some DACs mute the output when a non dithered file is played and/or when nothing is being played.

DAC outputs 4.7 Vrms in preamp-mode. Speaker efficiency is 87db.

Forgot to mention... room size and listening distance is also a thing and how loud one wants to play.
I assume 4.7V RMS in XLR ?
Set LA90 to low gain and only use high gain when needed.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Then you don't need a pre-amp nor will it bring anything extra.
The LA90 already has 3 inputs and volume control.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
use the DAC as volume control and set LA90 to the max desired volume when the DAC volume control is at max.
Doesn't get much better than that.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i think everyone needs to do a blind test (rightly) between different amplifiers.
that´s a real "click" inside your mind about all the highend sound nosense.

the first time i see something about it was many years ago: https://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

that gives me tons of curiosity ... and then i do my own tests ... yup! ...
so ... check it out ... and forget about bat range inaudible distortions, in normal circunstances, a cheap amp is more than enough.

SiamXIII

i think everyone needs to do a blind test (rightly) between different amplifiers.
that´s a real "click" inside your mind about all the highend sound nosense.

the first time i see something about it was many years ago: https://www.matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm

that gives me tons of curiosity ... and then i do my own tests ... yup! ...
so ... check it out ... and forget about bat range inaudible distortions, in normal circunstances, a cheap amp is more than enough.
I had PA3s>AO200>SMSL VMV A1>LA90.
There is clearly difference with later 2 compared to more budget amps.

mike70

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I had PA3s>AO200>SMSL VMV A1>LA90.
There is clearly difference with later 2 compared to more budget amps.

but ... with a "blind" test? ... (or what i said was totally ignored? :D )

Top Bottom