• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 524 65.3%

• Total voters

mocenigo

Major Contributor
All very good points. It simply could be that superfluous noise under -99db interacts with music based frequencies and corrupts it.
I can tell you that for me it is a night and day difference.
Are the outputs perfectly matched? I.s. Same Db level to within 0.1Db?

Bogda

LA90 measures amazing but I have a few doubts about its thermal design and some other comments:
1) How functional are the two heat-sinks? They look very badly designed with horizontal fins and very small gap between them. How much air is actually circulating through those gaps?
2) If you put those two amps next to one another, in bridged mode, with preamp/DAC on top of them, like in a pictures, you will get even worse cooling
3) Such a small box for an AB class amp??? Why? It looks they cared more about the design than performance.
4) What is the point of special connectors on the back?... so I have to buy their custom cables???
5) For a company that praises itself for its superior technological prowess, cleanest sound, ultra low THD+N ("lowest noise of existing power amplifiers") etc, stating the power at 10% THD+N is kind of funny?

lordhumungous

LA90 measures amazing but I have a few doubts about its thermal design and some other comments:
1) How functional are the two heat-sinks? They look very badly designed with horizontal fins and very small gap between them. How much air is actually circulating through those gaps?
2) If you put those two amps next to one another, in bridged mode, with preamp/DAC on top of them, like in a pictures, you will get even worse cooling
3) Such a small box for an AB class amp??? Why? It looks they cared more about the design than performance.
4) What is the point of special connectors on the back?... so I have to buy their custom cables???
5) For a company that praises itself for its superior technological prowess, cleanest sound, ultra low THD+N ("lowest noise of existing power amplifiers") etc, stating the power at 10% THD+N is kind of funny?
I’m more worried about spending almost 1k on a brand that has had reliability problems . I’ve had problems with their products

staticV3

Master Contributor
What special connectors?
Topping LA90 Review Back Panel Class AB Stereo Integrated Amplifier High Performance.jpg
Those are regular XLR and 1/4" combo jacks. You can find them on loads of studio equipment. Normal XLR cables will work just fine.

Last edited:

Fedpul

Hi, I have recently bought a Topping LA90. I am using it with my RME ADI 2 DAC and a pair of recently acquired Focal Aria 926. I would like to know a technical aspect I can't find anywhere else:

The RME ADI 2 DAC has an output level of 6.9V at 0dB using XLR (+19 dBu). I saw in Topping LA90 specs that in low gain the input sensitivity is exactly that much voltage. I would like to know if that spec of input sensitivity is for max output (63 W @ 8 ohms) or output with low distortion (36/40 W @ 8 ohms).

If it is the spec for max output before clipping, then -3 dB should be my max volume at the ADI 2 DAC, if not I could reach 0 dB without worrying about damaging the tweeters with distortion.

Thanks in advance!

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, I have recently bought a Topping LA90. I am using it with my RME ADI 2 DAC and a pair of recently acquired Focal Aria 926. I would like to know a technical aspect I can't find anywhere else:

The RME ADI 2 DAC has an output level of 6.9V at 0dB using XLR (+19 dBu). I saw in Topping LA90 specs that in low gain the input sensitivity is exactly that much voltage. I would like to know if that spec of input sensitivity is for max output (63 W @ 8 ohms) or output with low distortion (36/40 W @ 8 ohms).

If it is the spec for max output before clipping, then -3 dB should be my max volume at the ADI 2 DAC, if not I could reach 0 dB without worrying about damaging the tweeters with distortion.

Thanks in advance!
Low gain in the LA90 is given as 9.5dB - that is a multiple of 2.99

So your 6.9V gets amplified to 20.6V

That is 53W into 8 ohm. So the power rating at 1%THD. Not an issue for your tweeters.

Last edited:

AndreaT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I cannot wait to see the new Hypex Nilai500 diy stereo kit that sells for less than two LA90. Yes, it is not an integrated amp, however with many DACs you have a volume control and multiple inputs: in a digital system they functionally become a preamp. It should offer more power and similar low noise and low distortion.

Fedpul

Attachments

• ADI-2 Pro Reference Level Settings with Accu E-600.zip
    56.7 KB · Views: 56

SiamXIII

Currently have Smsl D300>LA90>Kef R3. Can't decide between preamplifier and second LA90 to further enhance sound quality.

Top Bottom