• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 524 65.3%

• Total voters

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Congrats @JohnYang1997 for this engineering accomplishment.:cool:

Now, from a consumer point of view, this product doesn't make that much sense at its price. A 120dB SINAD amp is meaningless when it comes to audibility and usability. I would have preferred a 100dB one with fourth time the power, really.
That will come as well. I started this amplifier even before PA5. Actually, it's the first ever power amplifier I had been working on since I was in the uni. So after 2 years it finally arrived!

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
More good stuff portending the rise of Topping in the amplifier world! Enough going on to turn my head from Benchmark as power rises and the designs mature. Topping has proven that it's not only Benchmark/THX that have magic AB sauce!

VeerK

Props to @JohnYang1997 on a really great showing in terms of SINAD. The limitations are pretty obvious here and I’m not sure the price tag is worth the admission. Would look nice with my A90/D90 stack though

nawfal07

That will come as well. I started this amplifier even before PA5. Actually, it's the first ever power amplifier I had been working on since I was in the uni. So after 2 years it finally arrived!

Congrats for the amazing achievements, but I have to wait again then. Any timeframe when this will be coming?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it possible we get the power output measured @ 2 Ohm?
I won't be home until tomorrow. I can then try to test it. For now what is the application for 2 ohm load? I have not tested one speaker that goes that low.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
IDontGetit.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Congrats @JohnYang1997 for this engineering accomplishment.:cool:

Now, from a consumer point of view, this product doesn't make that much sense at its price. A 120dB SINAD amp is meaningless when it comes to audibility and usability. I would have preferred a 100dB one with fourth time the power, really.
Those products already exist with little motivation to improve. Today they have that motivation.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For now what is the application for 2 ohm load? I have not tested one speaker that dios that low.
It's a firestorm waiting to happen testing amps to 2 Ohms. If one or more amps blows then a repair(s) is required and it might get messy. :D

Madjalapeno

Forum Donor
I won't be home until tomorrow. I can then try to test it. For now what is the application for 2 ohm load? I have not tested one speaker that goes that low.
Not for this, but I'm running each of my LX subs in parallel, so works out at 2 ohm. Using a pair of NC400's.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Power is the most important measurement, and this amp does not have that much power...

Why not get an NC252 based amp for the same price and get much higher power output at equally-transparent SINAD?
It is not equally transparent. It cannot match this level of noise floor.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
“Equally transparent…” A blind test between this amp and the old Pro-Ject Amp Box DS, which has a similar form factor (small amp box with external SMPS) and power (from twin Hypex UcD180 modules) would be interesting.

Personally I find I hard to get excited about an amp, any amp, unless maybe it’s tiny and powerful enough to boil rocks while being so energy efficient it cools the air around it. And cheap on top of that, with super responsive meters. But hey, if a new “SINAD champ” makes others happy, cool.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But EPDR might be in the 2 ohms neighborhood?

Top Bottom