• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Review (Integrated Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 50 6.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 193 24.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 524 65.3%

• Total voters

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm by no means an amplifier designer but I've measured a few and repaired a couple. I suspect the key here could be the power supply. AHB2? SMPS. This amp? External DC SMPS. Everything else with "ugly" noise floors? Internal wire wound transformers and bridge rectifiers aka linear power supplies.

Yes, credit to those who have, you can make ultra quiet amps with big iron supplies but it seems to me it might just be easier to get the power supply that's spraying magnetic fields all over the place away from the audio circuits or use one that doesn't.

aravena562

I think that for a traditional old school audiophile who hates class d, two monoblocks in class ab can be a good alternative, in the end for 1600 dollars you will get the cleanest 100 watts in 8 ohms that exist. let's compare that with amps that measure poorly and are worth 5 times that value. Seen that way, it doesn't look bad. What worries me the most is its ability in monoblock mode to handle lower impedance in the speakers.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems a bit over priced for the amazon.ca price of CDN $1169.00 It's nice that the SINAD has been improved beyond doubt although the price is stifling. The pricing is a bit optimistic.
The price imported from Audiophonics might be interesting.
  • 899,00€ with tax
  • 749,17€ (CDN $1.022,69, US $802,51) without tax
Then again, you probably have to pay some form of tax as well, also shipping.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This (above) combined with the power supply that appears to be single rail (64V@4A), suggests the amplifier is already running in bridge mode when operated in stereo.

Switching to mono creates a bridged, bridge amplifier. It is highly likely this amplifier will have trouble with impedances below 4R in mono. Their spec also says 8R is the minimum in mono mode.
[sorry, I deleted earlier reply that did not make much sense]

But the numbers (output power with 64V supply) don't compute for it to already to be bridged in stereo, do they?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It isn't bridged, is it? Just offset by half the rail is what I was thinking it might be. So just steady 32V DC on speaker neg and about waveform+32V on the + speaker connection. If so is that unusual? I haven't heard of such a design but I'm guessing I just am not aware of some that do exist.
A floating speaker negative sitting at 32V with respect to Gnd is not likely, or safe.

I figure the power adaptor markings might just be wrong and it is a 32-0-32V supply, not a single ended 64V supply. Then all the figures would line up.

But until we see an internal shot, it's just guesswork.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
[sorry, I deleted earlier reply that did not make much sense]

But the numbers (output power with 64V supply) don't compute for it to already to be bridged in stereo, do they?

No. (see above)

Red@

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Notice: Because of my less than Brilliant move today with merging multiple threads. :facepalm: The Original Poll data was lost. Please do vote again if you are so inclined. I personally would be very pleased if you do. Thank you kindly.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, it is not mention, a went through all the posts.
Sorry, might have been lost in the hectic of the shuffling of the threads.:oops:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you @amirm for the review. Only one small thing, the crosstalk should be at around -140db at 1khz.
Congratulations, what a nifty little amp with impressive measurements. :cool:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Only one small thing, the crosstalk should be at around -140db at 1khz.
And indeed, WolfX-700 measured <-140dB crosstalk @1KHz on the same AP analyzer.
Crosstalk.jpg
Screenshot_20220426-014950_Chrome.jpg
Hmm

Last edited:

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Congrats @JohnYang1997 for this engineering accomplishment.:cool:

Now, from a consumer point of view, this product doesn't make that much sense at its price. A 120dB SINAD amp is meaningless when it comes to audibility and usability. I would have preferred a 100dB one with fourth time the power, really.

Top Bottom