• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Discrete?

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I realize that I'm spoiled by the amazing work that Amir and team do here. But before I plunk down $799 for the Discrete version of the Topping LA90, I'd love to see if it measures worse or better than the (now discontinued) LA90. I suppose I could put my money where my mouth is by having one drop-shipped to Amir first, but I hate to do that if he is already sitting on a stack of them. I'm starting this thread to find out if anyone else is curious.

Is the assumption that the new Discrete version is identical with respect to performance and function as the original, so there's nothing to see here? What am I missing?

Snix

I just ordered 2 today.
I "think" there would be few "better" numbers here and there but irl I doubt I could tell the difference listening to anyway lol.

The most improvement I can see is now you can use 4ohm speakers with bridged mono (which is a big deal for me, thus I didn't buy LA90)
12v trigger is also a small bonus.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
The differences between the 2 models is discussed on the main LA90 thread:

OP
dsnyder0cnn

dsnyder0cnn

The differences between the 2 models is discussed on the main LA90 thread:
Discussion is fine. But where are the numbers? Has anyone measured the new version to confirm what the manufacturer has published? I have no particular reason to doubt Topping's in-house measurements. But independent verification is what ASR is all about. Amir has, in my view, unjustly received flack for so faithfully publishing Topping reviews on or near the day of a new product's release. I may be in the minority, but I look forward to them!

Differences, on paper, are not interesting to me. The new version has a list price that's $100 less than the original yet claims better performance. Too good to be true? Perhaps. Only bench testing will reveal the truth.

I'm happy to pay to have Apps send one to Aimr if no one else has already done so.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Start a conversation with Amir and see if he’s interested and more importantly what his backlog is (it’s probably months not weeks, judging from recent reviews).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually their own measurements don’t lie:
1680327049429.jpeg

A first glance at the dashboard looks good.

NoteMakoti

I'm guessing Amir is slow with the review because "Topping/SMSL products with perfect measurements and bat-ear differences between them" has almost become a meme at this point, so reviewing almost anything else would be a higher priority.

Human Bass

I'm guessing Amir is slow with the review because "Topping/SMSL products with perfect measurements and bat-ear differences between them" has almost become a meme at this point, so reviewing almost anything else would be a higher priority.
The thing is Amir is reviewing pretty much nothing of lately. I know he has no obligation of doing so, but sure is boring around her.

LesterNZ

Forum Donor
Took a punt & got my LA90 Discrete via BrightAudio Store to DHL Guangzhou, H-K, to Auckland doorstep in just 9 days. Nicely packed in sturdy oversized double boxing with lots of stiff foam etc. And all was "waterproofed" with completely total box wrapped in lots of plastic packaging tape. Nice trick. Constantly cool running it in 2nd rig replacing (hot running) NAD D3020 driving original KEF LS-50's via Wiim Pro (Roon w/eq) to Metrum Amethyst R2R dac in open plan lounge, dining etc.

Specs aside, (amp numbers way better than dac!), couldn't be happier. Completely dead quiet & no sonic signature that I can discern. Just saying, the little LS-50's music never sounded cleaner & smooth clear with many familiar jazz & classical "refs". I've run them previously with an Odyssey Khartago, Plinius Odeon, Kinki M-7 & Purifi ET-400 etc So I've got their 'sonic flavour' down, and thru the Topping it's as good as, with a cherry and chocolate sprinkles!

Only thing is, at a practical higher than normal listening level, in my large soft padded area I detect some distortion - though it's probably just the little KEF's reaching their 'natural' SPL limits. Easy enough, at their price I'll buy another LA-90D and mono-block 'em to see if a few more dB's of juice settles that trivial distraction. For the very reasonable 3 figure price, with a one-year fix or replace warranty, I'm, so far, very pleased.
jp

tomekwhite

Hi everybody,
finally after saving money for some time I would like to buy my first ever serious stereo setup and I was thinking about Topping A90 Discrete (headphone amp working as preamp) + 2 x Topping La90 Discrete working as monoblocks.
However, my big concern is that La90 Discrete is rated with min. load impedance of 4 ohm. Many speakers' impedance go easily below 4 ohm (lets say some 8 ohm "rated" impedance going down to 2 or 3 ohm between 100 and 200hz). Does this "min. load impedance" of La90 Discrete mean that with abovementioned exemplary speaker amps won't work?
I'll be thankfull for clarification.

best regards, Tomasz

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It will probably be fine!

Snix

Probably? I'm asking to be sure...
I don't think anyone would bet their heads on how sure any electronic devices would work...
That aside, both speakers and amp designers use their impedance numbers based on "nominal impedance",
that is, "approximate designed impedance".
Assumed both of them know what they are doing, they should know well how impedance swing throughout each freq.

If the speakers and the amps were rated at min 4 ohms, they should be "compatible".
But of course, sometime shit happens.

However, speaking from my own experience, I use 2xLA90-D with KEF R3 with min 3.2ohms (nominal 8ohms https://us.kef.com/products/r3) without any problem.
I also never had any problem using any 4 ohms speakers with decent 4 ohms amps throughout my audio journey,
but oh well, your mileage may varies.

tomekwhite

I don't think anyone would bet their heads on how sure any electronic devices would work...
That aside, both speakers and amp designers use their impedance numbers based on "nominal impedance",
that is, "approximate designed impedance".
Assumed both of them know what they are doing, they should know well how impedance swing throughout each freq.

If the speakers and the amps were rated at min 4 ohms, they should be "compatible".
But of course, sometime shit happens.

However, speaking from my own experience, I use 2xLA90-D with KEF R3 with min 3.2ohms (nominal 8ohms https://us.kef.com/products/r3) without any problem.
I also never had any problem using any 4 ohms speakers with decent 4 ohms amps throughout my audio journey,
but oh well, your mileage may varies.
All right then, you calmed me down, thank you :)
Can I ask you what preamp you use with those two La90-D? As I mentioned I'm thinking about A90-D - maybe you have some experience with that one as well?

MAK1975

Here's a previous discussion with a forum member using the A90 as a preamp.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-to-powered-studio-monitors.20039/post-714783

Amir has measured the A90-D and its nearly the same performance as the original A90 so it should be great match for the LA90-D

I am thinking about doing the same as you getting a pair LA90-Ds with an A90-D to upgrade my 2 channel bookshelf system. I might even start with 1 x LA90-D as I have a small desktop setup in a small room.

There is also the Pre90, but the A90-D is going to give you more functionality with its SOTA headphone amp. I doubt you will be able to hear the difference between the PRE90 and A90-D. I wouldn't pay another $600 USD for a PRE90 if you are getting an A90-D. If you need more inputs for other sources you can also add the EXT90 to the A90-D just like the PRE90. If you weren't a headphone listener then the PRE90 would be a great match, but I would still get the A90-D over the PRE90 to have the headphone stage.

tomekwhite

Here's a previous discussion with a forum member using the A90 as a preamp.

https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-to-powered-studio-monitors.20039/post-714783

Amir has measured the A90-D and its nearly the same performance as the original A90 so it should be great match for the LA90-D

I am thinking about doing the same as you getting a pair LA90-Ds with an A90-D to upgrade my 2 channel bookshelf system. I might even start with 1 x LA90-D as I have a small desktop setup in a small room.

There is also the Pre90, but the A90-D is going to give you more functionality with its SOTA headphone amp. I doubt you will be able to hear the difference between the PRE90 and A90-D. I wouldn't pay another $600 USD for a PRE90 if you are getting an A90-D. If you need more inputs for other sources you can also add the EXT90 to the A90-D just like the PRE90. If you weren't a headphone listener then the PRE90 would be a great match, but I would still get the A90-D over the PRE90 to have the headphone stage.
That's exactly what I was thinking. :)

SashaR

Hello, I ask about the LA90 because it is similar to the LA90D. I was allowed to compare the yba pasion ia350a amplifier with my LA90 - in my apartment. How can you explain that the unprecedentedly magnificent LA90 sounds worse than an amplifier with only 95 dB signal-to-noise ratio (I couldn’t find any other measurements)??? I compared at all volume levels available on the LA90, including in mono configuration. If there is no distortion, if we have a direct wire, then how can we explain that it sounds worse (there are no details, especially in the highs - but I’m only talking about what is obviously below 12 kHz).

Thanks for explanation!

Top Bottom