• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping LA90 Discrete Amplifier Review

Rate this stereo amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 3.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 20 5.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 63 15.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 302 75.7%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks went with the 2 channel ncx500. It's preorder shipping in May, so I can use my working LA90D in stereo mode until then
Rock on man! Those things are beasts for power output. :D It's nice to see a happy customer.

aphysically

I'm not sure if I want to try to RMA the LA90D - probably just leave it. I'm not even sure it would be worth it to me if somebody offered me retail for it, so I might open it up after I get the buckeye to see what was inside

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure if I want to try to RMA the LA90D - probably just leave it. I'm not even sure it would be worth it to me if somebody offered me retail for it, so I might open it up after I get the buckeye to see what was inside
More often than not a class AB amp can be serviced providing the PCB provides access to both sides or is removable and parts are available.

Down South

I'm not sure if I want to try to RMA the LA90D - probably just leave it. I'm not even sure it would be worth it to me if somebody offered me retail for it, so I might open it up after I get the buckeye to see what was inside Havn't you even taken the lid off? Why not do a simple continuity check.
Havn't you even opened it up? there maybe an obvious reason, at least do a simple continuity check. Your going to buy another amp and then open it up - that's crazy!

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
came home to random pops from my left speaker LA90D while it's powered on. All the connections look solid, so time to start replacing cables although I'm skeptical
Care to share a video of this? No offense but considering amount of posts on your account and this statement it feels a little weird, especially when you kind of slide into asking for Hypex amps.
I am a little sensitive on this topic of failing LA90Ds because I have two of them and I don't want to have them die a few weeks out of warranty.

aphysically

Care to share a video of this? No offense but considering amount of posts on your account and this statement it feels a little weird, especially when you kind of slide into asking for Hypex amps.
I am a little sensitive on this topic of failing LA90Ds because I have two of them and I don't want to have them die a few weeks out of warranty.
If it makes you feel any better my few other posts were all about buying the LA90D a month or so ago when I actually did it (they’re earlier in this thread). I will play with it again when I get home but I’m not sure about video. I may need one if I ever want to RMA with Apos so probably I will try to grab?

Havn't you even opened it up? there maybe an obvious reason, at least do a simple continuity check. You’re going to buy another amp and then open it up - that's crazy!
Well I figured it can probably be RMA’d with Apos which would be the correct move instead of finding out myself and I don’t want to lock myself out of that option without further thought, but the bigger underlying issue is I’m not sure I still trust the LA90D right now and just want a quick replacement. I changed order to the Purifi from buckeye b/c I liked the flatter frequency response more than the power gain with the hypex (maybe I’m wrong to think about it like that but it was .25 dB or something by 20 kHz on hypex?)

Gavb1105

Hi. Please could you (aphysically) confirm the failure of your LA90d asap as I have one on preorder and it has not been dispatched yet. I had a PA5 and went back to my 45 year old Yamaha CA2010 after that. I don't want another potential failure to deal with especially at 799 dollars. I think I will only lose the currency conversion charge if I cancel my preorder so would like to know asap - many thanks

aphysically

Hi. Please could you (aphysically) confirm the failure of your LA90d asap as I have one on preorder and it has not been dispatched yet. I had a PA5 and went back to my 45 year old Yamaha CA2010 after that. I don't want another potential failure to deal with especially at 799 dollars. I think I will only lose the currency conversion charge if I cancel my preorder so would like to know asap - many thanks
I’m not sure there’s enough information from me to make decisions like that, but it is enough to sour it for *myself*.

Just to make sure we’re clear on facts (and maybe somebody has a suggestion on something else to test!) I ran two LA90D driven in bypass mode dual mono, driven by preamp on A90D connected through XLR. Output on each was to KEF R3 with locking banana. Symptom when I got home from work yesterday was popping noise randomly (1-5 per minute) while the left LA90D amp was powered on. The amp otherwise appeared to still work. Popping noise remains if you remove the input or change input channels. Popping stops if amp is powered off. Popping remains if swapping the speaker cable. Popping remains when reseating and reconnecting power cable/changing where it was plugged in. Popping remains if I swap the jumper cable with the one from the other LA90D.

One thing it occurs to me now I could test now is my other LA90D’s power brick, but from my POV they both came in the box and the connector is unusual so either failing is basically the same.

Gavb1105

I’m not sure there’s enough information from me to make decisions like that, but it is enough to sour it for *myself*.

Just to make sure we’re clear on facts (and maybe somebody has a suggestion on something else to test!) I ran two LA90D driven in bypass mode dual mono, driven by preamp on A90D connected through XLR. Output on each was to KEF R3 with locking banana. Symptom when I got home from work yesterday was popping noise randomly (1-5 per minute) while the left LA90D amp was powered on. The amp otherwise appeared to still work. Popping noise remains if you remove the input or change input channels. Popping stops if amp is powered off. Popping remains if swapping the speaker cable. Popping remains when reseating and reconnecting power cable/changing where it was plugged in. Popping remains if I swap the jumper cable with the one from the other LA90D.

One thing it occurs to me now I could test now is my other LA90D’s power brick, but from my POV they both came in the box and the connector is unusual so either failing is basically the same.
Ok, thanks for the extra information. I think I am going to cancel my preorder and wait to see how reliability goes over the next few months and if people have issues and experiences like you are having - You've only had it a few weeks, you should not be having issues with it.

Being in UK, I would have to pay for return shipping etc so don't think it's worth the risk -Real shame.

I was a little concerned already due to the query on this thread regarding the inputs: I was hoping to use RCA to xlr adapters to run my Google CCA RCA outs into the la90d xlrs and I am really happy with the CCA but it has been strongly advised not to connect unbalanced RCA into the balanced xlr of the LA90d. I was thinking of buying a dac to connect the CCA optical into and then xlr to xlr from dac to LA90d. If the LA90d has died on you after only a few weeks, I will cancel my order and save money buying a dac to get balanced connection.

I'll stick to my CCA going into my 45 year old Yamaha which is still going strong compared to issues with the PA5 and now your report of LA90d failure within a few weeks!

anphex

Forum Donor

How were your temps and how did you place the amps? Did they get enough air and distance?

Talisman

Forum Donor
Ok, thanks for the extra information. I think I am going to cancel my preorder and wait to see how reliability goes over the next few months and if people have issues and experiences like you are having - You've only had it a few weeks, you should not be having issues with it.

I'll stick to my CCA going into my 45 year old Yamaha which is still going strong compared to issues with the PA5 and now your report of LA90d failure within a few weeks!
Leaving aside the fact that this problem could be anything, or a simple random failure (which can happen with any product from any brand).
But as an ex-owner of a broken PA5 due to design issues, didn't you think at all about waiting a few months and making sure everything was fine before buying a much more expensive pair of Topping amps?
Forgive me, but this is masochism

Gavb1105

Leaving aside the fact that this problem could be anything, or a simple random failure (which can happen with any product from any brand).
But as an ex-owner of a broken PA5 due to design issues, didn't you think at all about waiting a few months and making sure everything was fine before buying a much more expensive pair of Topping amps?
Forgive me, but this is masochism
Hi. I'm purchasing a single LA90d rather than a pair and I am hoping that Topping has learned from the PA5 issues so they are not repeated - There are many people who have Topping gear that have no issues at all and this reported failure hopefully is an isolated case but it has again worried both owners and potential owners of the amp if someone has already reported problems after just a few weeks. It shouldn't have to be masochism to buy the latest release and I guess that I put my faith in Topping delivering a new product that has been tried and tested and didn't feel the need to have to wait to see if the product was reliable as my expectation of Topping is high in that I can't see them releasing a product that is going to cause failure problems for them again. I guess I just need to be more cautious and less trusting then until I have waited for real-world confirmation of reliability - You are right I suppose, I'm just too impatient.

Last edited:

aphysically

How were your temps and how did you place the amps? Did they get enough air and distance?
They were always barely warm. For more context, I use my KEF R3 as desktop speakers so I never have the volume very high. I keep my room 68 F / 20.0 C so I usually have a better time of temps than most people. They were placed sitting on their own in the back of my desk (not near any other computer components)

aphysically

I decided to go ahead and try to do the warranty service since getting it back to Topping is probably what’s most fair for the other owners here in the long run on the chance it’s something that needs fixed in the design (we DO NOT know that from my one case). I’m generally extremely risk averse and despise having to do any warranty stuff (which is why I want to just switch amps), but it’s probably most fair to everyone else here to just get it taken care of. My mind could be changed if experience is positive though, I guess.

@JohnYang1997 @TOPPING-Service

aphysically

Requested video: https://streamable.com/r1g77r

I want to reiterate I didn’t join to report this problem, I discussed buying it earlier in this thread and bought it

Down South

If aphysically doesn't feel competent to do a continuity check on the amp perhaps he can find someone who is. It could be something as simple as a dodgy solder joint or an internal cable not tightened properly or something else easy to fix.

anphex

Forum Donor

I want to reiterate I didn’t join to report this problem, I discussed buying it earlier in this thread and bought it
Thank you very much!
Could a firmware bug on the microcontroller cause this? If not, what part could cause this? Sounds like small short unregulated discharges, maybe a capacitor? The again, if it is a failing cap that would be emberassing for topping at this price.

nagster

I listened to the video.
My opinion is to remove the AC plug immediately and never connect it again. In particular, do not connect the AC plug while the speaker is connected. Even if the abnormal noise has decreased in the future.
Please contact the place of purchase and ask for a replacement or return/refund, or if that is not possible, request a repair.
If you really want to try something, plug in some speakers you picked up from a landfill.
There is nothing but a bad feeling. Anyway, it is recommended not to connect the AC plug.

Top Bottom