• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L70 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 29 9.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 85.8%

• Total voters

Drengur

Forum Donor
5 silky watts into 12 ohms. Perhaps it should be driving my speakers as well?

Sokel

Master Contributor
My OLED TV is on year 5 and looks like day one.

I believe you are thinking of the first gen OLEDs (I have a remote with those and it is quite dimmed). And the display isn't OLED --- otherwise it wouldn't have seqments.
I'm not talking for TV's.I own a nice OLED tv myself.
I'm talking about this little screens showing the same thing all the time and I've seen and read enough to avoid them like hell.
Some of them got to solution of shutting off after a minute or two,to save what they can.

Edit:I noticed the segments too but I also noticed the small "xlr" reading which is like what would be in a OLED.

mosco

hello.
From my almost total ignorance I wonder if this amp can power my full range lii silver 10. I've read tube fans power them even with one watt for listening in a normal room. Your data is these 8 ohms: 25 – 50 W
Frequency response:
Sensitivity: 98.6dB(2.83V/1m)
I use them together with two svs 1000pro subs, which I think relieves the amplifier and I am curious to know if there would be a danger of failure from the headphone output. Thanks friends.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Would rate a 4 if based on ONLY measurements.

Rated it a 3 based on overall value 'to me"

Simply feel that a headphone amp, no matter how well it measures, is a $350 device and considered "Good value"

SMAC88

Amazing unit.

I bought the L50 after your review and I'm extremely happy with my purchase, it drives my Sundara and HD600 beautifully.

I do have some questions for this unit.

Is the XLR/RCA out passthrough like the L50 (when the unit is off the signal passthrough the XLR/RCA out.
Are the 3 headphones connector managed by the unit with a remote (I mean, can I leave 3 headphones plugged in at the same time and switch the desirable output with the remote?)

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
5 silky watts into 12 ohms. Perhaps it should be driving my speakers as well?
5 Volts not 5 Watts,
Still no competition to the A90d unfortunately

juliangst

A90d is almost double the price of the L70, I'd say the difference is warranted.
Double the price and double the voltage at 12 Ohms:)

Tovarich007

Another good product from Topping. no surprise here but I get lost in their numerous series. They measure all very well, some specs maybe slightly different (output impedance, power output) but all in all it's very diificult to choose.

I respect this brand, like Matrix, SMSL, Gustard, but all these chinese makers are lacking of coherence in their deveoppment, how to choose inside their series ?

For example : is a 90 series combo (Dac+ headphone/pream) eventually superior to a 70 series combo ( i mean : is there a real sonic advantage) considering the much higher price tag of the first one ?

juliangst

Another good product from Topping. no surprise here but I get lost in their numerous series. They measure all very well, some specs maybe slightly different (output impedance, power output) but all in all it's very diificult to choose.

I respect this brand, like Matrix, SMSL, Gustard, but all these chinese makers are lacking of coherence in their deveoppment, how to choose inside their series ?

For example : is a 90 series combo (Dac+ headphone/pream) eventually superior to a 70 series combo ( i mean : is there a real sonic advantage) considering the much higher price tag of the first one ?
Apart from the looks the only difference seems to be power into low impedance loads. If I didn't have that low impedance headphones I would 100% go for the E70 L70 stack

D

Deleted member 21726

@amirm
Was the listening tests made before or after measurements?
I hope before, then results are more reliable.

threni

Major Contributor
@amirm
Was the listening tests made before or after measurements?
I hope before, then results are more reliable.
Reliable in which sense? We can take his "there's enough power for hard to drive headphones" more seriously if he didn't peek at the power output first?

wow didn't expect it to "suck so bad" in the 50mv compared to the L30 ii.

I keep my L30 ii even if it picks up RF of my phone for some reason.

KxDx

Having gotten a taste of room correction, I wish this would be the next frontier Topping or SMSL dip their feet into. It won't be quick or easy or cheap, but the world needs more DAC's with DRC. Trying to squeeze out .5db SINAD more than last year's model is kinda boring when there's a virtually untapped market out there.

The difference my Antimode has made with just 2 speaker and no sub is nothing short of phenomenal. If it weren't for the subpar DAC implementation the thing would be an absolute killer product.

Most 2-channel "audiophiles" have no idea what they are missing out on by not optimizing their system to their room. I'm a believer now and never going back.

roog

Forum Donor
I don't need another preamp for my system, but this would have been ideal had it been available a year ago!
I too have reservations about OLED displays, @Sokel having had a couple go dead.

<Heart contacts Brain> "Oh go on get another, Go on, go on, go on!"

Last edited:
Top Bottom