• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L70 Headphone Amp Review

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 4.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 27 9.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 234 84.8%

• Total voters

GPJ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There are two 9038Q2M in the DO100. It's a top tier DAC. I have one and can't for the life of me tell the difference between it and the Sabre 9068 in my E50. Both are outstanding.

Last edited:

rarewolf

The DX3 Pro+ uses 9038Q2M. E70 uses 9028PRO. The latter is a higher tier product, in any case..

Thanks for your input, and agreed, the nomenclature cannot be trusted to indicate the tier and any possible differences in sound quality. However, that’s not everything to be concerned with. For example, ESS v. AKM jitter management is different for both E70 versions, and one of my primary input PCM streams is via opitical. Will one implementation over the other help? … still to be determined…

… my research goes on, but deadline is a considerable ways off…

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks for your input, and agreed, the nomenclature cannot be trusted to indicate the tier and any possible differences in sound quality. However, that’s not everything to be concerned with. For example, ESS v. AKM jitter management is different for both E70 versions, and one of my primary input PCM streams is via opitical. Will one implementation over the other help? … still to be determined…

… my research goes on, but deadline is a considerable ways off…
You can always (ab)use the returns system and buy both from amazon for example and test the optical compatibility. Then send one back. It's not like you will notice drastic sound differences. But if the device works well, sure that's an important one :)

Bleib

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There are two 9038Q2M in the DO100. It's a top tier DAC. I have one and can't for the life of me tell the difference between it and the Sabre 9068 in my E50. Both are outstanding.
Yup, DACs are way better than human hearing, so buy after looks, functions, remote etc

rarewolf

You can always (ab)use the returns system and buy both from amazon for example and test the optical compatibility. Then send one back. It's not like you will notice drastic sound differences. But if the device works well, sure that's an important one :)

I’m certainly not one to be squeamish over “abusing the system”, but as a North American dealing with a market overseas, it would be a bigger pain in the a** for myself as well as the seller, and Apos has been pretty good to me.

And, you’re correct, it’s not like I would notice drastic sound differences. But that’s not the point making a knowledgeable purchase. As gearheads, we enjoy taking care before spending our money, and just as enjoyable is doing our homework. After all, it’s why these forums exist… :)

Edit… spelling ambiguity…

Zeliya

What's the disassembly procedure? mainly concerned about the display ribbon. What's holding the front glass panel?
Disassembly and especially reassembly is a trick.
Dismantling of the front panel is not possible without a special key. It's better not to.
0. Remove the two outermost screws on the rear panel.
1. Remove the volume control knob, unscrew the nut.
2. Pressing on the 6.3mm connector, move the PCB 2-3cm.
3. Through the hole of the XLR connector, disconnect the display cable from the PCB with long tweezers.
4. Take out the PCB.
5. Reassemble in reverse order.

Last edited:

kekotron

Disassembly and especially reassembly is a trick.
Dismantling of the front panel is not possible without a special key. It's better not to.
1. Remove the volume control knob, unscrew the nut.
2. Pressing on the 6.3mm connector, move the PCB 2-3cm.
3. Through the hole of the XLR connector, disconnect the display cable from the PCB with long tweezers.
4. Take out the PCB.
5. Reassemble in reverse order.
There's a nut under the volume knob? I'm asking because my L70's front panel doesn't sit flush with the body on the left side where touch power/sel button is, i can push it back flush in but after some time it manages to pop out by itself again. I was wondering if this is some kind of an assembly issue i can quickly fix myself, as I would prefer to not send the unit back to china considering it has no actual usability issues.

Attachments

• P_20230110_162213_1.jpg
    P_20230110_162213_1.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 92

Zeliya

There's a nut under the volume knob? I'm asking because my L70's front panel doesn't sit flush with the body on the left side where touch power/sel button is, i can push it back flush in but after some time it manages to pop out by itself again. I was wondering if this is some kind of an assembly issue i can quickly fix myself, as I would prefer to not send the unit back to china considering it has no actual usability issues.
Yes. Under the volume control knob there is a nut that fixes this block.
The volume control is a normal encoder.
The fastening of the front panel is similar to the fastening of the rear. Only from within. 2 screws.
Not a problem at all.
Take it apart and I'm sure you can tighten them up.

Attachments

• Enkoder.jpg
    Enkoder.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

kekotron

Yes. Under the volume control knob there is a nut that fixes this block.
The volume control is a normal encoder.
The fastening of the front panel is similar to the fastening of the rear. Only from within. 2 screws.
Not a problem at all.
Take it apart and I'm sure you can tighten them up.
What's the "special key" you mentioned earlier though? and how exactly is the front panel being held in place, does "from within" mean there are screws on the inside that might possibly be loose on my unit?

Zeliya

What's the "special key" you mentioned earlier though? and how exactly is the front panel being held in place, does "from within" mean there are screws on the inside that might possibly be loose on my unit?
A very long and thin wrench, the same as to unscrew the bolts from the outside.
They are the same.
Just try and see.
Enough...

kekotron

A very long and thin wrench, the same as to unscrew the bolts from the outside.
They are the same.
Just try and see.
Enough...
Doesn't seem to budge. I removed the rear 2 outermost screws, the 2 screws visible on the underside as well and carefully removed the volume knob, loosened the nut minding to not lose the encoder inside the case and now pressing on the 6.3 jack or xlr doesn't look like it wants to come out, doesn't move at all. Are there any screws under the rubber feet or something?

Zeliya

Doesn't seem to budge. I removed the rear 2 outermost screws, the 2 screws visible on the underside as well and carefully removed the volume knob, loosened the nut minding to not lose the encoder inside the case and now pressing on the 6.3 jack or xlr doesn't look like it wants to come out, doesn't move at all. Are there any screws under the rubber feet or something?
Ther`is only 4 screws. 2 rear, 2 bottom.
Not any screws under the rubber feet or something.
The back cover sits tightly in the case.
Unfortunately, it cannot be dismantled separately.
Press harder on the 6.3mm plug.
Do not press on the HLR - you can break it.

Attachments

• topping-l70-back.jpg
    topping-l70-back.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 103
  • bottom PCB L70.jpg
    bottom PCB L70.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Zeliya

Yes, as long as there are enough load sweep measurements (32/300Ω only isn't enough).

I created it based on measurements from Amir, WolfX-700, and the manufacturer.
Can you explain why the A90 and L70 have different load curves, although they are built on the same amplification scheme?

staticV3

Major Contributor
Can you explain why the A90 and L70 have different load curves, although they are built on the same amplification scheme?
I didn't design them, nor am I skilled enough to reverse engineer them. So no.

rarewolf

I didn't design them, nor am I skilled enough to reverse engineer them. So no.

Although, it would be interesting to hear why you created these curve’s comparison, and what you believe the differences reveal, practically or sonically speaking…

staticV3

Major Contributor
Although, it would be interesting to hear why you created these curve’s comparison
To help people make purchasing decisions. Also because I find it interesting.

and what you believe the differences reveal, practically or sonically speaking…
The graphs show how much power an Amp can output before it clips. More power = more loudness.

NexusOne

The First Topping headphone amplifier with a remote. I actually use the Smsl Sh-9 but i think the l70 is worth an upgrade. Some questions:

This amplifier has got enough power, even for a Susvara or other headphones which Need Lots of Power?

- Is the Connection between Remote and amplifier better than the Old Smsl remotes (sh-9)?

So in comparison to the sh-9 there are These advantages:

+ better built quality
+ better screen
+ better Remote (?)
+ fully balanced
+ more power
+ speaker amp / pre amp
+ 4,4 mm output
+ relayed volume Control

Is This correct? Do you Know more? So changing the sh-9 against the l70 is a Good idea?

Top Bottom