• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L50 Review (Headphone Amp)

Bel Canto

Hi. Does the L50 have identical power output if it is used in pure single ended configuration (rca input + single ended output) compared to its (XLR input) setting. I have a Topping E30 and a Magni 3 and I am looking for an amp for more power via (single ended input + single ended output) for my Sennheiser hd 650. I am planning to buy L50 but I am concerned regrading any decrease in power output if it is used in (single ended input + single ended output) with a dac like E30. I don't really want to buy L30 as L50 has more power. So I would like to know what is real power output of L50 in (single ended input + single ended output) at 300 ohm load.
As I understand it, the power output via the 6.3mm and xlr outputs is the same. However to reach its max power output it needs to be fed a 4v signal via its TRS inputs. If fed a 2v RCA input its power will be reduced, I'm not sure by how much, but there should still be plenty of power unless you're trying to drive some crazy hard-to-drive cans and if you are you should probably be looking at a higher end amp.
Hope that helps.

Indrajit

Thanks. But is there any information anywhere which tells the real output power of L50 in (single ended input + single ended output) configuration?

RHO

Major Contributor

Indrajit

I have gone through that description. It simply states output power but doesn't really specify the input but hints that the power will be on its best only if the amp is fed through a dac which has 4v input . It doesn't really state how much power is delivered through a traditional single ended dac like Topping E30 or many other such dacs.

RHO

Major Contributor
I have gone through that description. It simply states output power but doesn't really specify the input but hints that the power will be on its best only if the amp is fed through a dac which has 4v input . It doesn't really state how much power is delivered through a traditional single ended dac like Topping E30 or many other such dacs.
Have you seen the comparison table for SE v.s BAL input at the bottom of the page?
You think these numbers are for 4Vrms SE input?

Indrajit

Those numbers are for balanced input. Exactly. So then what's the power output when it gets a traditional 2vrms dac like E30? That's the information which I am saying is not stated anywhere on the website.

RHO

Major Contributor
Those numbers are for balanced input. Exactly. So then what's the power output when it gets a traditional 2vrms dac like E30? That's the information which I am saying is not stated anywhere on the website.
The table at the bottom of the page gives output for SE as well as BAL input.
But since the input sensitivity and gain are the same for both (in high gain setting) I assume you need 4Vrms to reach those numbers for SE as well as BAL input.

Indrajit

The table at the bottom of the page gives output for SE as well as BAL input.
But since the input sensitivity and gain are the same for both (in high gain setting) I assume you need 4Vrms to reach those numbers for SE as well as BAL input.
Yes. That's what I had stated since I posted here. It's hinted that L50 needs to be fed 4vrms to reach its stated max power. But it's power output via 2vrms has not been stated anywhere. And since I have a Topping E30 and it sits at 2vrms, the max output of L50 via 4vrms is of no concern to me

RHO

Major Contributor
Yes. That's what I had stated since I posted here. It's hinted that L50 needs to be fed 4vrms to reach its stated max power. But it's power output via 2vrms has not been stated anywhere. And since I have a Topping E30 and it sits at 2vrms, the max output of L50 via 4vrms is of no concern to me
Same for the A50s. Max power is also stated for 4Vrms input. I drive it with 2Vrms (max, from a D3 pro) and I'm not really wanting for power.
What do you want to drive to need the >3W?
Driving the HD650 with the L50 getting 2Vrms from the E30 should be fine.
My A50s drives my HD6XX without any problem, for comparison. I expect the L50 to put out comparable numbers in high gain 2Vrms (~200mW@300Ohm).

Last edited:

Indrajit

Same for the A50s. Max power is also stated for 4Vrms input. I drive it with 2Vrms (max, from a D3 pro) and I'm not really wanting for power.
What do you want to drive to need the >3W?
I have a Sennheiser hd 650. And I also already have a Magni 3 which outputs more than 400 mw through a 2vrms E30. When I first looked at L50 since it's a more evolved machinery I thought it can outpower Magni 3 and also would sound more refined. But now I am concerned as to how powerful it can possibly be via 2vrms input compared to Magni 3.

RHO

Major Contributor
I have a Sennheiser hd 650. And I also already have a Magni 3 which outputs more than 400 mw through a 2vrms E30. When I first looked at L50 since it's a more evolved machinery I thought it can outpower Magni 3 and also would sound more refined. But now I am concerned as to how powerful it can possibly be via 2vrms input compared to Magni 3.
In high gain driving the HD650, the Magni 3+ and L50 will be very comparable. The Shitt could maybe a little louder, but noise and distortion will be higher. I can't tell you if you would be able to hear it.

Indrajit

In high gain driving the HD650, the Magni 3+ and L50 will be very comparable. The Shitt could maybe a little louder, but noise and distortion will be higher. I can't tell you if you would be able to hear it.

I don't have Magni 3+. I have old Magni 3. Yeah if L50 doesn't really offer a full upgrade over Magni via 2vrms then I don't think getting the L50 would would change things much. That way I am then forced to stay with the Magni 3.

RHO

Major Contributor
I don't have Magni 3+. I have old Magni 3. Yeah if L50 doesn't really offer a full upgrade over Magni via 2vrms then I don't think getting the L50 would would change things much. That way I am then forced to stay with the Magni 3.
Yeah, if you don't need the balanced connection, pass through outputs and only drive the HD650 with it... I don't think you will gain much.

Indrajit

Yeah, if you don't need the balanced connection, pass through outputs and only drive the HD650 with it... I don't think you will gain much.
Yeah. Thanks. Not much to gain when I already have the Magni 3

RHO

Major Contributor
There is no switch to turn off the pre outs so they are pass-through. The manual has a typo but I think the pass through goes off when you turn off the L50.
Can anyone confirm this?
As I understand it, I have to switch off my speaker amp when I want to listen trough headphones and I have to switch the device on when I want to listen to my speakers?
I would have expected it to work the other way around. (no output on the pass-trough when HPs are plugged in and output on the pass-trough when the device is off or when no HPs are plugged in)

Synrgy87

I've had the L50 for a while now and It's now giving me the flashing white LED and cutting out, which is not fun as I was liking the unit working alonside a Topping E50 DAC. Maybe time for something else... hmmmm.

Edit* Happening mid listening not on first power on. Maybe getting a surge from somewhere or a heat issue?

Last edited:

welder

I have blinking white led only when pushing it too hard (high gain, volume pot past half and low impedance planars). But that's way beyond listenable levels.

Synrgy87

I have blinking white led only when pushing it too hard (high gain, volume pot past half and low impedance planars). But that's way beyond listenable levels.
For me it was while driving a set of Sennheisers (HD565) and also happened with DT990 250ohm, one other time nothing was playing went for a coffee came back and the LED was flashing with no sound output, almost always have it on medium gain volume normally no higher than 1/2 oclock position, should be more than capable of that.

Had a check on the 15V AC with a multimeter, seems to be working showing around 18.5v

Last edited:
Top Bottom