• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 vs inbuilt Tempotec Sonata HD Pro amp

virtua

Hi Everyone,

So I've recently purchased a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro based on it's performance and low price. I'm quite happy with it in terms of how it sounds, the features that it has and it drives all the headphones I own well beyond any level I would realistically listen to. Although, I've been considering upgrading to a Topping L30 and using the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro as a dedicated DAC.

However, I don't really want to spend the extra money if it's beyond what I would realistically be able to perceive a difference with. If it makes a difference the vast majority of what I listen to is 16 bit 44khz.

There's a few things I am considering in terms of dynamics and noise performance which might make a noticable difference.

-The THD+N power vs distortion
-The SNR at 50mw (as I listen at low levels this may matter quite a bit to me) though I wasn't able to find a number for this for the Sonata HD Pro

I would really appreciate any opinions regarding this,

Thanks!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
What sort of impedance and sensitivity are your headphones? The present output is most likely to run out of steam when impedance is low and sensitivity isn't great. Voltage wise, you are unlikely to run out unless you've got something 600 ohms or some really mean planars (HE6 etc.), or your listening levels are unusually high.

Hidisz S8 (same device) features a dynamic range of at least 122 dB(A) at 2 Vrms output, and I wouldn't rule out that the 128 dB spec is accurate. That's at least 90 dB(A) ref. 50 mV, possibly up to 96 dB. Noise basically should be a total non-issue as long as USB power is cooperating.

It looks like you should be able to use your Sonata HD Pro "barefoot" quite happily right now. The L30 would expand the range of more critical headphones you could accommodate though.

OP
virtua

virtua

Thanks Steph, really appreciate your input. I currently use a pair of Hifiman Sundaras @ 37 ohms with 94db/mw sensitivity as well as a pair of HyperX Cloud II's @ 60 ohms with 98db/mw sensitivity. I haven't had an issue currently with the amount of power provided by the dongle with those two. Given what you have mentioned, with the specs being great in most areas, I think I might stick with using this dongle on its own unless I eventually get a higher impedance headphone which isn't driven enough with it.

Top Bottom