• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 power adapter discontinued - alternatives?

izbit

As title states: What are the alternatives for procuring a 220-240V compatible (Europe) replacement power adapter for the Topping L30 headphone amplifier?

I reached out to one of the Topping authorized sellers in Europe, Audiophonics, asking about a replacement power adapter for Topping L30. They were previously offering Power Supply 220-230V AC to 15V 1A AC, now stating it is discontinued.

Their reply was brief and to the point: "Topping no longer offers it individually, so unfortunately not. Sorry."

Finding an AC/AC adapter at 15V and at least 1A is proving very difficult. The closest I have found is a 16VAC unit from JDS Labs, "suitable for Element, EL DAC, EL Amplifier, and Atom Amplifier." It's a bit pricey, but other alternatives such as ordering the only Topping replacement from Aliexpress I have found so far (TOPPING L50 L30 Power Supply US / EU / UK / AU) costs even more.

I bought my Topping L30 while living in Japan and so while I have an original power brick rated for 100-120V input, I'd prefer a direct power brick. The 230-to-110V transformers I've explored are either expensive or of dubious quality.

Is the JDS Labs 16VAC unit a suitable replacement? Any other alternatives for 15VAC power brick supported by the Topping L30?

Tagging @JohnYang1997 to see if he's heard anything from Topping.

MCH

Major Contributor
I hope that it is just temporarily unavailable, not discontinued after only 2 years, otherwise topping seems to be in a race for the worst customer care ever, at least in my mind...

Screenshot_20220923-081921_Chrome.jpg

Post in thread 'Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...-headphone-amplifier-review.15226/post-787545

OP
I

izbit

It's odd if this means it will no longer be possible to buy the power supply from their authorized resellers (with exception of what may be still in stock with a few). The L50 and the newly released L30 II are both using the same-specced 15VAC 1A power supply so it is very much used in current products.

I reached out to Topping to ask where to buy this discontinued power supply in Europe. They did not refute it being discontinued and just said they are happy to help, asking for my serial number and proof of purchase.

For others interested, I found that the authorized reseller in the Netherlands appear to have some power supplies in stock still.

TOPPING POWER SUPPLY 220-230V AC to 15V 1A AC @ Hifi Studio 79

OP
I

izbit

Topping replied to me today, and according to them they have not discontinued this power supply.

Sorry for the late reply as we just came back from our National Day Holiday.

1. This power supply has not been discontinued, and strangely enough, we have not said that this power supply has been discontinued, and we are not sure where you learned that this power supply has been discontinued. But L30 is discontinued.
2. Can be purchased through the seller or from us.

Not sure why Audiophonics said Topping no longer offers it individually.

JSmith

Master Contributor
they have not discontinued this power supply
Yep... hence why it's for sale at AliExpress as per post #4. Maybe Audiophonics was just out of stock or was unable to order more stock due to worldwide supply issues.

JSmith

OP
I

izbit

Maybe Audiophonics was just out of stock or was unable to order more stock due to worldwide supply issues.
There's a big difference between "temporarily unavailable due to reasons" and "no longer offered by supplier".

I'm glad I found it still for sale from Hifi Studio 79, and Topping was responsive and offered it directly when asked, but Topping should sort this out with their official authorized resellers.

Alexium

How does one break a transformer? Genuine interest. Have you disassembled your dead PSU? Could it be that the problem is simply with the wire or the barrel jack?

OP
I

izbit

How does one break a transformer? Genuine interest. Have you disassembled your dead PSU? Could it be that the problem is simply with the wire or the barrel jack?
I expect it shouldn't break easily but it won't be in warranty forever. However, mine didn't break so it wasn't even a warranty case, I just moved 8000 km.

Both my old and new Topping transformers work. As I mentioned, I don't want to use the 110V transformer with a 230V-to-110V step-down transformer of dubious quality, and the cost was similar or even lower for a straight-up replacement transformer for 230V. That is why I looked for and purchased an original replacement transformer of the 230V variety.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Just get a nice toroidal, put it in a diecast box and make your own decent power supply instead of the junk wall-wart Topping supplied. The thermal fuses in those adapters fail in most cases. A 15W supply in a sealed plastic box is a recipe for a very short life. Transformers need air circulation once you go over a few watts.

Something like this, in your country:

Roland68

Major Contributor
As John says, get a good 15v toroidal transformer of 15-20VA.
Take an aluminum or steel case with a 3 pin power cord and ground the case. You can also install a connection terminal for IEC connectors with a fuse and switch.
You get pre-assembled power cables and also the cable with the DC plug. If you use Wago installation clamps, you don't even have to solder or crimp and you have a professional installation.
Don't forget the ventilation for the case.

qzyDO

I am taking my L30 II from a 120V to 220V country. If I don't mind the jank, do you think it makes sense to simply use this step-down transformer and wire it using a barrel plug to the L30 II? Will there be a difference sonically?. I am assuming over-speccing with 2A output won't be an issue - hopefully have better wires internally.

raif71

Major Contributor
1683640269028.png

This is from my country's local online store. The jack measurements with 15V/2A should be ok, right? Putting this in the cart for future purchase if needed.

qzyDO

I am afraid L30 II needs 15V AC (not DC). I guess the rectifiers won't mind the DC input, but indeed it's not what it expects.

Roland68

Major Contributor
View attachment 284450
This is from my country's local online store. The jack measurements with 15V/2A should be ok, right? Putting this in the cart for future purchase if needed.
The L30 and the L30 II absolutely need AC power supplies/transformers. These devices cannot (= impossible) work with DC power supplies.
Look for half wave rectification and generation of a +/- voltage.
This makes the AC supply approx. +/- 23 volts (voltage difference of approx. 46 volts).

raif71

Major Contributor
I am afraid L30 II needs 15V AC (not DC). I guess the rectifiers won't mind the DC input, but indeed it's not what it expects.
:eek:, how could I missed this... yes AC

429c40fc5bbbfe38567f7411852ce7cf.jpg_2200x2200q80.jpg_.webp

This should be it I guess but not sure the jack is 5.5mm x 2.5mm

Last edited:

GLTRV

Harman Kardon AC Adapter HK-01T works fine with my L30, it is rated 15VAC 1100mA and can be found used on ebay or elsewhere.
The barrel plug needs to be changed for one with the correct diameter.

raif71

Major Contributor
b6fdadcd4a384e4e89bdbbbdc7129f65_4ca15baec79442cc9c4d618867bfda2a.jpg_720x720q80.jpg_.webp

This picture is not mine. If the voltage is not exactly 15VAC but slightly over like picture above, is that ok?

Top Bottom