• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 86.1%

• Total voters

anderl1962

Hello good morning.
i want to connect the Topping L30II with my Cyrus quattro pre-amp. The Cyrus quattro pre out output is about 250 mW.
Is it correct that the maximum output of the Topping is 8 times lower, so 437 mW at 16 Ohm? Or about 240 mW at 32 Ohm?
It would be enough for my AKG -K490NC headphone with 32 Ohm and maximum input 50 mW, sensitivity 117 dB/SPL/V ?

The RCA output from the Topping goes into a Cyrus Mission one - amp ( old version ).
So when i switch of the Topping the signal gets passed through the Topping to the Cyrus Mission one?

Last edited:

Hamrin

Hello good morning.
i want to connect the Topping L30II with my Cyrus quattro pre-amp. The Cyrus quattro pre out output is about 250 mW.
Is it correct that the maximum output of the Topping is 8 times lower, so 437 mW at 16 Ohm? Or about 240 mW at 32 Ohm?
It would be enough for my AKG -K490NC headphone with 32 Ohm and maximum input 50 mW, sensitivity 117 dB/SPL/V ?

The RCA output from the Topping goes into a Cyrus Mission one - amp ( old version ).
So when i switch of the Topping the signal gets passed through the Topping to the Cyrus Mission one?

If your need is to add an headphone out to your Cyrus the best way is make it work as a "switch".

You have to connect the LINE OUT (fixed one) of the Cyrus to the LINE IN of the Topping and you're done.

Then switch using Cyrus controls.

anderl1962

That´s the way i wanna do it.
Is the Topping strong enough for the headphone? The Cyrus output on the free line out is only 0,24 Watt.

Hamrin

Signal Input/Outputs are in Volt and not Watt.

Cyrus Quattro is an hybrid CD player, which acts as a preamp for power amps.
It has a "CD Direct Out" too which is a 2 Volts one.

Last edited:

anderl1962

and with this 2 volt i can pass through the Topping to the input of the mission cyrus one ( old version from the 1980´s? when want to listen with the loudspeaker

Hamrin

Yes, you can, but signal will be altered by L30 volume control, since its output are only variable.
If you need to feed an integrated amp I suggest you to try the CD Out to the Cyrus ONE and the Tape OUT to the Topping.

anderl1962

cd direct out than the cyrus quattro plays only cd, cann´t listen radio, tape or aux. only possible with pre out ( 0,24V)

Hamrin

So you're listening with a double preamplification now...
If you're feeding the Cyrus One with the Pre OUT of the Cyrus Quattro you're passing through two attenuators... A bit messy...

Anyway the Tape Out should route the playing signal (no matter which one) bypassing volume controls.
I'd try this to feed the L30

Last edited:

anderl1962

i go with the pre out from the cyrus quattro into the tape in from the mission cyrus one than out to the speakers. tape out also possible, but not with cd direct.
tape out is bit louder than pre out, but no data in the user manual

amanieux

sorry if it is a stupid question : what happens if i connect the headphone out to my speakers (6 ohms 90db sensitivity) directly without going through an amp ? will the l30 shut down as it's specs rates output impedance > 8ohms ? i use a aiyima a07 for super near field (1 to 2 feet away) and i notice that for normal listening level my volume knob is about 5% (about 3w ?) so 3.5w of the l30II should be powerfull enough and give me super clean sound, no ?

okok

sorry if it is a stupid question : what happens if i connect the headphone out to my speakers (6 ohms 90db sensitivity) directly without going through an amp ? will the l30 shut down as it's specs rates output impedance > 8ohms ? i use a aiyima a07 for super near field (1 to 2 feet away) and i notice that for normal listening level my volume knob is about 5% (about 3w ?) so 3.5w of the l30II should be powerfull enough and give me super clean sound, no ?

you might need balanced output.... single end in this case might be dangerous

amanieux

not really, output impedance is different, for RCA it's 20ohm
i want to try connecting 6 ohms speakers directly to the l30II output without going through an amp, is it better to use the rca output or the 6.35mm jack output ? (will gain switches and volume knob of l30II also change volume on the the rca out ?)

anderl1962

yes, don´t do it. buy a good amp for the speaker and use the head amp for your headphone.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i want to try connecting 6 ohms speakers directly to the l30II output without going through an amp
You cannot do that. You neither can, nor even want to.

The same way that you don't need to post four times in a row asking about it.

yes for low volume, super near field, is it a stupid/bad idea ?
Both stupid and bad.;)

Top Bottom