• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 27 7.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 312 86.7%

• Total voters

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Tommyuk1977 the L30II can theoretically drive the DT770 Pro 250Ω to about 124dB SPL Peak and the 80Ω to 128dB SPL.
In practice, you will first destroy your ears, then you will destroy the DT770, and then you will run out of volume on the Amp.

Tommyuk1977

@Tommyuk1977 the L30II can theoretically drive the DT770 Pro 250Ω to about 124dB SPL Peak and the 80Ω to 128dB SPL.
In practice, you will first destroy your ears, then you will destroy the DT770, and then you will run out of volume on the Amp.
I Loved my ear and my headphones
I won't crank up the volume very loud.

StratsoundFan

Could you specify your DAC and preamp gain?
For HD650 I use medium gain, pot is about 1-2 o'clock (Topping E30 2,1V in, preamp gain -5,9dB).
We've discussed this briefly here. You can look it up. I don't use a separate DAC. I connect the amp either to the headphone out, or line out on my audio interface. I also tested headphone out on my laptop once or twice.

SmokedBurger

Hello! I just purchased this amp and it’s on the way, are there any issues I should be worried about? I already have an l30 and I find that it lacks performance on my planars. Getting the mark 2 hopefully solves the problems. I’ve seen some people here commenting that the power cuts off when the protection kicks in at 50% volume, is this true?

Miiksuli

Hello! I just purchased this amp and it’s on the way, are there any issues I should be worried about? I already have an l30 and I find that it lacks performance on my planars. Getting the mark 2 hopefully solves the problems. I’ve seen some people here commenting that the power cuts off when the protection kicks in at 50% volume, is this true?
I had problems but I'm using tube stereo amp. If you connect ur HPs directly to it you won't have any issues.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I already have an l30 and I find that it lacks performance on my planars. Getting the mark 2 hopefully solves the problems.

Practical performance is the same. The mkII is not going to sound any different BUT has a higher gain so it can go louder in high-gain with a 2V out DAC.

SmokedBurger

Practical performance is the same. The mkII is not going to sound any different BUT has a higher gain so it can go louder in high-gain with a 2V out DAC.
This would definitely help when I use parametric eq on them. Have you had any overheating or overloading issues with the unit?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The only Topping device I own is the E30.

Some of the L30's run a bit hotter than others. This is unit to unit variance though. I suspect that it may have something to do with the TPA6120A amp sections being combined in order to reach a higher current output.
The higher gain when using insensitive headphones and EQ can certainly help a bit in achieving a higher SPL.

I replaced my SMSL SP400 with the L30 ii. I don't care about balanced signals anymore and this is better for IEMs and the slow volume change on the SP400 was so annoying. This interface with the flip switch is just the fastest and one doesn't even need to use the volume knob with the sensitivity switch often times. The sensitivity switch on the SP400 made a change of a useless -5/+5db (subjective). Now I have a Topping D30 Pro + L30 ii and this is setup is such a blessing. SP400 sounds as good of course but the ergonomics just were too annoying for me.

This thing is the best headphone amp on the market. I would have used the e30 ii but i am a bit turned off by the bad Toslink performance as this is the main input I use. Feels nice to have all my headphone with just one universal good ol' jack again. Balanced makes no difference in sound. The only thing that is annoying on the l30 ii is the close positioning of the jack to the volume knob. It feels a bit fiddly when I try to change the volume blind. I just hope the volume knob won't start crackling soon.

xowny

so i saw that its big brother (l50) has a mic input, would it perform better than the scarlett solo 3rd gen? (i mean the mic amp)

Leiker535

so i saw that its big brother (l50) has a mic input, would it perform better than the scarlett solo 3rd gen? (i mean the mic amp)
Hello, it actually doesn't, the L50 is just an amplifier and AFAIK Topping doesn't implement ADCs. As for the Scarlett, as far as objective perfomance for the mic/ADC section goes, it is already almost as good it as it gets, specially considering the price tag.

Top Bottom