• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 28 7.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 314 86.5%

• Total voters

Jayzqa

Your cable is probably harder to drive than your headphones :)
But it feels so nice :(
But there's no point spending more on another brick above (or below) the L30 if I'm not going to take advantage of the extra connectivity, especially considering that Moondrop Dawn's numbers are very competitive (115 dB SINAD) according to Wolf's measurements at L7AudioLab for less than $70.
Absolutely true. Just wanted to say that because I could not find anyone mention it anywhere.

Merkurio

But it feels so nice :(

Absolutely true. Just wanted to say that because I could not find anyone mention it anywhere.

And it's a very interesting thing to know, it definitely gives kudos to the E30 II (for those interested in making a stack and take advantage of the extra connectivity). :)

Jayzqa

And it's a very interesting thing to know, it definitely gives kudos to the E30 II (for those interested in making a stack and take advantage of the extra connectivity). :)
It was a nice surprise for me too.

Just set screen brightness to ”L-A” and it only shows faint ”usb” on the corner like in the picture.

Edit: Realised that output mode does not affect it.

Attachments

• 8D8BD498-B59E-4E73-BE50-08B1C785CDD1.jpeg
    8D8BD498-B59E-4E73-BE50-08B1C785CDD1.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 208

Merkurio

Just set output mode ”m-d” and screen brightness to ”L-A” and it only shows faint ”usb” on the corner like in the picture.

As someone who definitely doesn't care about the sample rate or the digital volume numbers (in the case of the DX3 Pro), that's definitely a godsend, and your stack looks really cool in silver, the same color I choice for the L30 II.

Still, in my case I prefer the L30 II alone with just their subtle white LED, which doesn't seem overly bright neither. :D

Jayzqa

As someone who definitely doesn't care about the sample rate or the digital volume numbers (in the case of the DX3 Pro), that's definitely a godsend, and your stack looks really cool in silver, the same color I choice for the L30 II.

Still, in my case I prefer the L30 II alone with just their subtle white LED, which doesn't seem overly bright neither. :D
I think It's a good idea. I just personally wanted to have cohesive simple desktop setup that looks good so I chose the stack option.

(also hate that remote thing so mechanical switches are god tier)

Merkurio

I think It's a good idea. I just personally wanted to have cohesive simple desktop setup that looks good so I chose the stack option.

(also hate that remote thing so mechanical switches are god tier)

Those mechanical switches in the front are other reason of what I like these L30s so much!

Previous to my original DX3 Pro, I'd a Magni 3 which I used connected to the motherboard line output of my PC (so I'm not completely new to these amp-only scheme) but the thing I hated the most about it was having such a nice switches to turn it on/off and change the gain in the rear panel instead of the front. :facepalm:

From an ergonomic standpoint, Topping definitely knows better what they do.

Last edited:

TjindarSingh

L30 ll on its way, have the old one and really like it but its a lower serie number so a bit worried, hopefully tke mk2 will have no problem.

TjindarSingh

got the mk ii a couple of hours ago, now its running . Will come back with impressions.

DamDamxD

@Amir Hi!
Can you help me with one thing?
Lets say that i have source like DX160 and it have good line output on high volume, but worse than this one, then when i want to listen on my sesitive iems over L30 ii, then it will be better over it than headphone output in iBasso? Because L30 will get SINAD from high output iBasso and use it on lower power where L30 it's better in SINAD and DR right? I hope i wrote it correctly.

Hov

Forum Donor

Just set screen brightness to ”L-A” and it only shows faint ”usb” on the corner like in the picture.

Edit: Realised that output mode does not affect it.
I wish the E30 v1, D10, heck all DACs with screens, had the option to turn it off or time it out while in use!

Hotwetrat

Guys, my headphones are easy to drive, but I still want to know, which is best setting for best measured performance, low med or high gain - cheers.

With a lot of pre amp deficeit in EQ APO/PEACE I can reach 'near' 12 o'clock on med gain.

I'm deaf.

Hov

Forum Donor
Guys, my headphones are easy to drive, but I still want to know, which is best setting for best measured performance, low med or high gain - cheers.

With a lot of pre amp deficeit in EQ APO/PEACE I can reach 'near' 12 o'clock on med gain.

I'm deaf.
Medium is 0db/unity gain so you're absolutely good to go at that setting if it works for you. 12 o'clock is a good place to be, no need for high gain for sure and low gain would drop you too far down on the volume knob range I'd think.

StratsoundFan

I'm deaf.
You're not deaf. With my Roland rh a-30 40 ohms, I have to set the volume knob at around 1 o'clock on medium gain. With Beyrdynamic dt 990 pro 240 ohms, I have to set it at 2 o' clock on hi gain. I honestly can't imagine this amp being capable of driving some more demanding headphones. It's still a decent amp nonetheless, just not as powerful as the specs made me believe it was.

Jayzqa

You're not deaf. With my Roland rh a-30 40 ohms, I have to set the volume knob at around 1 o'clock on medium gain. With Beyrdynamic dt 990 pro 240 ohms, I have to set it at 2 o' clock on hi gain. I honestly can't imagine this amp being capable of driving some more demanding headphones. It's still a decent amp nonetheless, just not as powerful as the specs made me believe it was.
The value proposition is still very much spot on. Let’s just hope that it actually lasts component wise.

Hov

Forum Donor
I agree here. I got it recently and it's awesome, but I'm in a similar camp here depending on the track. Can easily max out in medium gain and want more.

Because it can handle my 6XX well at high gain and seems to have enough headroom, I think I'll stick with it. My volume knob is a bit crooked but I suppose I can try to ignore that LOL

Top Bottom