• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 86.1%

• Total voters

Veri

Master Contributor
However the said company in China not only copied the exact circuit of L30(including the not working dc protection circuit), but also filed patent exactly describing circuit of A90 in China. This is the completely different behavior than what I was doing. And now they are claiming the circuit is independently developed(which they apparently couldn't do in the past decade?) while the L30/A90 circuit was the first design I put out. I only joined Topping in December 2019.
Whaaat o_Oo_Oo_O

Bleib

Major Contributor
Well, wow. Purchased. Even though I'm not sure I need it.

Last edited:

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Don't give the High End Audio, ideas. Some solid, brushed aluminum case, a power supply for 200 wpc in another but separate solid aluminum chassis and ... $19,999,00 later you have the new HEA "best preamp ever", a true bargain :(

:D

Peace.

P.S. Just to make sure that I own a Topping, I just purchased a D10 Balanced, to replace a perfectly good , working but single-ended Khadas Tone Board... There!!
And yet Topping is delivering it at a price under $200 a 99% discount from the scam price ;x

lc155

You were basically correct. But learning from is very different from copying. I also learned these circuits from Bob Cordell's book and Douglas Self's book on TMC and TPC. I didn't make a big fuss about how new the circuit was but the actual performance it was achieving. That type of circuit was already experimented long long time ago by many people. JDS also must have learnt it from somewhere. And that's absolutely ok. And in the course of the time I was on ASR, I respected JDS very much and recommended Atom to members all the time.

However the said company in China not only copied the exact circuit of L30(including the not working dc protection circuit), but also filed patent exactly describing circuit of A90 in China. This is the completely different behavior than what I was doing. And now they are claiming the circuit is independently developed(which they apparently couldn't do in the past decade?) while the L30/A90 circuit was the first design I put out. I only joined Topping in December 2019.

The what company? Is this throwing shade at JDS?

lc155

the said company in China. Definitely not JDS, whoever it is.

The post just made no sense to me because the last line in his paragraph talks about how he 'respected' JDS (implies he no longer does), then doesn't mention any specifics about the company. 'the said' company implies he spoke about them already and the only company he mentioned was JDS...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
The post just made no sense to me because the last line in his paragraph talks about how he 'respected' JDS (implies he no longer does), then doesn't mention any specifics about the company. 'the said' company implies he spoke about them already and the only company he mentioned was JDS...
Yes but he said the company in China. JDS isn't in China and mfg's in the USA. So they couldn't be who he was talking about.
Also just because he said "respected" doesn't mean he doesn't have respect for them any more. This is likely due to the language barrier.

DrIacozKnows

I would like to see next HPA from Topping: Resistor Ladder Volume Control, true bal input, all kind of phones output, perfect R&L channel match and no preout.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I used 'respected' because I had not been on ASR for some time. And that was talking about something happened a long time ago already. Now I still think they are doing fine work. No question about it. Sorry for the miscommunication.

In which case you didn't get what I was talking about at all, you might try click the link in his post to his older post in a different thread.

But I would consider this topic kind of a off topic and I really don't want to drag it for too long. Just to be sure, I'm 100% no beef with JDS. I have been a happy customer of original EL AMP, Atom, OL DAC and 2 O2s. I really appreciated what they have done to the community.

pongpaktech

Nothing against at all. I just like pure HPA. A90D doesn't has SNR>100 dB.
umm the A90D has an SNR of 125, unless you mean at 50 mV

Edit: A90D not A50

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
umm the A50D has an SNR of 125, unless you mean at 50 mV

A50D ?? A50 going discrete? :)

DrIacozKnows

umm the A90D has an SNR of 125, unless you mean at 50 mV

Edit: A90D not A50
Exactly!

oscar_dziki

Let's make a new company. Maybe call it LOWING instead and we just take Topping stuff and put it in "witchcraft" cases and sell for 14k and then make youtube videos about the extensive designs lmfao
And that would still be a better buy than chord BS

Jimster480

Major Contributor
And that would still be a better buy than chord BS
Definitely. You would actually get top tier performance for your money.
And later on if some $500 device came out even with slightly better performance it would not be audible because we have already reached past the audible threshold for most things. I have a feeling that in another year or so we are going to need some new measurements of differentiation. Since we are basically heading the limits of the analyzer already today. Who knows what will come out by the end of the year.

ngs428

A number of us, myself included, have the E30/L30 combo already? Anyone going with this new II as a replacement?

No functionality change from what I can see. Just chasing numbers or is anything audible? More power would be nice if you need it. The L30 already powers my 6XX and ED XS just fine.

staticV3

Master Contributor
A number of us, myself included, have the E30/L30 combo already? Anyone going with this new II as a replacement?

No functionality change from what I can see. Just chasing numbers or is anything audible? More power would be nice if you need it. The L30 already powers my 6XX and ED XS just fine.
The L30 has pretty low gain, meaning that you cannot use it to its full potential with the E30. You need a DAC that has 3Vrms output voltage for that.
The L30 II remedies that with a lot higher gain. 2Vrms is enough to drive it to 100% output power.

I'll make some graphs to show the difference in power/loudness between E30+L30 and E30+L30 II later today.

Top Bottom