• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 28 7.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 314 86.5%

• Total voters

Noob

Both A90 and A90D have identical max output voltage of 49Vpp.
The A90D can deliver more current into low impedaces though
I don't know why you are quoting me. I wasn't comparing the A90 versions. I was comparing against the L30 ii.

Tks

Major Contributor
For about 2 years now I kept wondering "when is anyone going to get clear CD quality at 50mV output?" And here we go, finally, John and Topping come out by smashing it to triple digit SINAD at such low output.

Good luck to other companies honestly. They look like they've either struggled with this, or simply gave up trying. The only company I know that took it quite serious even before Topping did, was RME, but they've seen regression actually occur when they released the V2 RME back then. I think it's going to take a lot for anyone to come close to beating Topping at this point in this performance metric. Such a massive jump indicates either a breakthrough or a level of care for some reason no one is paying attention to. And with these stupid IEMs all sinking lower and lower with impedance, and becoming more and more sensitive, this is something I hope others will pay more attention to.

EDIT: Now I'm wondering.. What's the AP's limit for SINAD at that output level?

ayane

Forum Donor
Is the method of measuring 50 mV SNR exactly the same as before? I thought the previous records hit the limits of the analyzer.
Pretty sure it is. This amp has so much negative gain in low gain mode that it suppresses the noise floor of the test signal substantially in the process.

AP can theoretically resolve a few dB on top of this result too; the noise in this result is about 500 nVrms (although the actual number is likely lower, and the measurement is limited by the noise added by the AP's ADC).

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
AP can theoretically resolve a few dB on top of this result too; the noise in this result is about 500 nVrms (although the actual number is likely lower, and the measurement is limited by the noise added by the AP's ADC).
For example, WolfX-700 told measuring more than about 95 dB requires a low-noise amplifier:
Due to the noise floor of the AP itself, the DNR at 50mv can only be measured to around 95db. If this measurement reaches 95db, I will use a 40db low-noise amplifier to simultaneously amplify the noise floor and distortion of the device (in fact, it will deteriorate the measurement result)
Amir acknowledged the possibility of higher numbers through a low-noise amplifier when reviewing Pre90, but the method was not changed to keep consistency.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I really hope this one doesn't have any widespread issues because it would be great if this could legitimately be the default recommendation for all headphones.

Time will tell.
Even if it has. Buy another one when it fails. You will still save money compare to the next best.

thin bLue

Reviewer
Much lower gain for IEMs <- so sweet
My L30 <- cries
xD

diaolodoro

I had to create an account to express my surprise of this kind of performance. They could put it on a fancier case, give it a special name and put a $1500 price tag and everybody would go crazy. The most impressive thing is that they're pricing their products considering the part prices and not the competition.
(Also, hi guys)

A SMPS would actually cause more issue and higher mains frequency noise in a all single ended device. Current external transformer solution is the best solution for single ended applications.
Yes, Mr.Yang please tell those with 60Hz transformers, the value for an RC snubber(specifically the resistor value) across the secondary, to damp this ringing. This owner of L50 implemented an ad hoc RC snubber, but have no measurement to confirm when ringing of diodes switching is damped(subjectively noticed difference, as cleaner water taste different). Please implement a RC snubber for external transformer and/or post the values of the resistor to implement a correct RC snubber to stop ringing for 50/60Hz transformers. All diodes ring! Thanks for sharing serious audio engineering with us.

Labjr

Major Contributor
So if I'm not mistaken, the RME ADI-2 DAC FS puts out 1.5 watts maximum power vs this unit at 3.5 watts? For $149 I might just let the RME do what it does best and let this little powerhouse handle the amplification.

RME is upgrading the ADC/DAC pro model and adding output power. I suspect they'll be upgrading the DAC only model too. Not sure if 3.6 watts is total power or what?

"It offers a hearty 3.6 watts of power for headphones and a Pentacon socket for balanced headphones. "

Labjr

Major Contributor
There's more than enough trash littering the planet, I'd prefer to pay double for something that is reliable and will last.

Well they keep getting better. A ten year old DAC is a dinosaur. Same with headphone amps.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's more than enough trash littering the planet, I'd prefer to pay double for something that is reliable and will last.
They are called consumer products for a reason. Even though they say every little helps, respectfully, I don’t beleive it does.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even if it has. Buy another one when it fails. You will still save money compare to the next best.

That would fine if you didn't have to worry about it taking your headphones with it like the original did.

Dzhaughn

Suddenly, fewer babies are named "Dave" and more are named "Topping."

"One evening Topping got up from his bed and walked around on the roof of the palace. From the roof he saw a woman bathing. The woman was very beautiful, and Topping sent someone to find out about her. The man said, “She is Aiyima, the daughter of ADCOM and the wife of the Niles.”

Top Bottom