• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 314 86.3%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That would fine if you didn't have to worry about it taking your headphones with it like the original did.
I haven’t read about that case. How did the HP effected?

Lifu

Much lower gain for IEMs <- so sweet
My L30 <- cries
xD
I'm looking at the new L30 V2 for the same reason.
While the original L30 works perfectly fine with IEMs, I still need less volume sometimes and I'm often under 9 o'clock on the dial.

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am curious what is involved with this testing: " It survived my multiple overload tests."
Even more curious about “Except in one rare case, I could not get the amp to produce anything but pure, clean distortion-free response with amazing detail.”

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven’t read about that case. How did the HP effected?

The first few batches of the original L30 could fail and burn out the voice coil of the attached headphone. IIIRC they were just dumping straight DC across the output. All the gory details are buried in the 260 page thread.

Several of Schiit's models have had similar a reputation for blowing up headphones over the years.

If it was just the unit failing to turn on one day, then I would agree with your original point. That's an acceptable risk to take when putting such power and performance in a budget package. When you have to be worry about about those failures destroying headphones which could reach 10-20x the cost of the amplifier it makes the question of reliability much more important.

oceansize

Forum Donor
Well they keep getting better. A ten year old DAC is a dinosaur. Same with headphone amps.

A ten year old DAC is probably perfectly usable in 95+% of cases. Given that we're at the stage of chasing numbers for numbers sake (ie, totally inaudible improvements to the human ear), it makes sense to be looking more at features that increase usability and also things such as reliability.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Topping needs to produce a streamer (oled display please), dac, headphone amp, pre amp xlr outs (for my active speaker) roon ready/airplay/Bluetooth all in one with best in class measurements, I’d certainly be interested. As small as possible, nice remote control and a user gui that is the equal of my iPhone

Don’t want much do I?

pongpaktech

Man I just received my L30 v1 today from Headphones.com. I guess I'll be returning it to get the L30 v2

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
RME is upgrading the ADC/DAC pro model and adding output power. I suspect they'll be upgrading the DAC only model too. Not sure if 3.6 watts is total power or what?

"It offers a hearty 3.6 watts of power for headphones and a Pentacon socket for balanced headphones. "

Well let's see thousands of dollars versus $149?

Labjr

Major Contributor
Well let's see thousands of dollars versus $149?
The DAC only version is just over a thousand, has balanced outputs, PEQ and other useful features. If I was using it professionally, I know which one I'd buy.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A ten year old DAC is probably perfectly usable in 95+% of cases. Given that we're at the stage of chasing numbers for numbers sake (ie, totally inaudible improvements to the human ear), it makes sense to be looking more at features that increase usability and also things such as reliability.
I have a 20 year-old DAC that handles my 44.1k/16-bit streams just fine. I probably could not reliably tell the difference in a blind comparison to my much newer Topping and Schiit DACs. Yeah, chasing the numbers is fun but runs into limits of audibility and other components in the chain. I primarily use my Topping for its greater range of inputs versus pure sound quality.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Holy cannoli!! I just ordered one. My very first dedicated headphone amp. @Jimbob54 finally going to replace my crusty old dragonfly red with an e30+l30ii stack.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Even more curious about “Except in one rare case, I could not get the amp to produce anything but pure, clean distortion-free response with amazing detail.”
I hard a tiny static in one channel in one song but could not replicate it. That usually indicates clipping and that track had super deep bass. And I was at max volume.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am curious what is involved with this testing: " It survived my multiple overload tests."
My power sweeps vs impedance push the amp well into clipping and keeps it there for good 2 to 4 seconds. The protection circuit must do its job or it gets damaged.

I do like to develop some kind of stress test fixture in the future to do some quick testing for reliability. But have not had time to do so.

Top Bottom