• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 314 86.3%

• Total voters

rocksteady

Forum Donor
A ten year old DAC is probably perfectly usable in 95+% of cases. Given that we're at the stage of chasing numbers for numbers sake (ie, totally inaudible improvements to the human ear), it makes sense to be looking more at features that increase usability and also things such as reliability.
Finally! A voice of common sense, as opposed to "Later and Newer is always better"!

cestmoi

What would be a good alternative from another chinese brand for an analytical (transparent, clean, non-warm) amp for headphones with high impedance (from 100 Ohm)?

Are Topping's amps the best budget analytical amps out of there?

virtua

What would be a good alternative from another chinese brand for an analytical (transparent, clean, non-warm) amp for headphones with high impedance (from 100 Ohm)?

Are Topping's amps the best budget analytical amps out of there?
Topping amps won't really impart any sound characteristic, the same as any other amplifier which measures well enough. SMSL is the other brand that you could look into for alternative products.

rocksteady

Forum Donor
Don't trust HiFiMan's specs.
Both Amir and Brent Butterworth have measured the HE6se V1 at 64Ω instead of 50.
Sensitivity is also lower at 91 and 92dB SPL/Vrms vs HiFiMan's specs at 96.5

The L30 II can output about 12.5Vrms at 64Ω, which means that according to Amir's measurements you can expect 113dB SPL peak.
That's very loud and should be enough for anyone really, though depending on your EQ and the content you're listening to, you could still be left wanting more.
Huh? HIFIMAN's specs for sensitivity are much lower at 83.5dB. You are probably confusing it for another model?...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
92dB/V = 80dB/mW (@64 ohm)

I would trust Amir's sensitivity measurement over hifiman specs any day.

rocksteady

Forum Donor
92dB/V = 80dB/mW (@64 ohm)

I would trust Amir's sensitivity measurement over hifiman specs any day.
Ah! mW versus V. I got it now. Sorry, I have misread it. In fact, this correlates even better with my personal experience of the HE6SE V2...A true beast to feed!

Last edited:
Reactions: GPJ

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Best I get so far is 98.4dB SNR @50mV

View attachment 283725

Not too bad, though :)

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE 2V output > Topping L30 II HPA Mid gain, volume reduced to 50mV output
E1DA Cosmos Load board (a MUST HAVE for amateur headphones amp measurement) set for 300 ohm unbalanced
RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE RIAA +20dB M/S mode (RIAA reverse curve applied in software).
Software Virtins Multi Instrument 3.9.8.0

The other channel is 0.1dB lower.

OK, I've re-run this with a preamp at the input.

SNR for Topping L30 II @50mV 300 Ohm
101.0 dB

Topping L30 II 50mV Mid gain L+R - RME 12Mic 40dB gain.Png

Topping D90LE - 4V range - RCA output > Topping L30 II - HPA Mode - Mid gain - level set for 50mV out - E1DA Load board 300 Ohm - RME 12Mic Mic inputs 1+2 40dB gain
Software Virtins MultiInstrument 3.9.8.1

This 12Mic interface is REALLY good.
The Topping L30 II is just INCREDIBLE.

So I'm now able to reproduce and confirm @amirm 's measurement.

(The low frequencies don't look that clean. It may be possible to grab a few (tens of) dBs, still, by using shorter RCA cables. But OK.)

Last edited:

Luminair

The Topping L30 II is just INCREDIBLE.

So I'm now able to reproduce and confirm @amirm 's measurement.

And nobody would know it was so incredible without you all sharing these measurements, so thank you for that.

Given the astounded reactions to this amp's performance, I think it's worth noting that it's not just a "headphone amp". It's a stereo amp, and when used as a pre-amp, it would buff the performance of many millions of lesser amps being used today, including the old ones we keep around because they look cool. Topping could put this in a different box and sell it for $1500 as Hifi Preamplifier XL Turbo: Enhance Your Classic Amp Today!

Lorenzo

when used as a pre-amp, it would buff the performance of many millions of lesser amps being used today, including the old ones we keep around because they look cool.
Topping could put this in a different box and sell it for $1500 as Hifi Preamplifier XL Turbo: Enhance Your Classic Amp Today!
I absolutely agree with these comments.
I use it as a preamplifier in the high position for GAIN and listening comfort.
A real marvel for such a low price, compared with much more expensive devices.
Excellent upgrade for low watt amps, but pure Class A (2 X15 Watts) thanks again to ASR !

I have a potentially very stupid question.

Right now I am paring this as the pre-amp for the SMSL A300 because I needed something to power my rear surround speakers (JBL Stage A130) . The source is the SVS Tri-Band wireless transmitter which only outputs a low 1v. This caused me a huge headache as it was nearly impossible to power the rears to a volume to match the front speakers + center powered directly by my receiver. The current result is that the rears need to be boosted by +7 (max 10) on the receiver output, the L30 II volume maxed out, and the SMSL A300 powered about halfway because if I increased the amp volume by anymore the constant static would be unbearable.

So here's the stupid question: how useful would it be to get a second L30 II and double the pre-amp? It sounds like troll physics but the L30 II is so low distortion that it might distort the sound less than the increasing the volume of the SMSL A300. Anyone want to explain to me that I'm an idiot before I buy a second iteration for testing? If I can't find a cheap solution to build on top of this I will just go through the pain of running speaker wire myself lol.

Luminair

So here's the stupid question: how useful would it be to get a second L30 II and double the pre-amp?
That's a really interesting scenario you have! It will make for a good case study or learning/teaching experience. The fundamental answer to the first question is that it's fine and normal to add another amplifier to get more power. All audio chains involve multiple components raising and lowering power along the way, BUT: that doesn't mean you should get another pre-amp to solve YOUR problem.

The part I can't be sure of is the interaction between: AVR -> SVS transmitter -> L30 II -> SMSL A300. I haven't used your setup, but it seems to me like there is enough power available to volume match a home theater. Maybe there is something wrong, like a component not working properly. Can you double-check if there is a way to lower the gain on all the OTHER channels to match the rears at their new max? Maybe the AVR volume boost setting at -10.

SMSL A300 powered about halfway because if I increased the amp volume by anymore the constant static would be unbearable.
Yikes. Others have complained about that amp being noisy, too. I suggest returning it under warranty if you can. If you can't return it, I still suggest replacing it rather than buying another L30 II as a preamp. Amir recently gave the Fosi Audio BT20A Pro a glowing review, and the Fosi Audio V3 looks like a simplified version of that, which is all you would need for surround speakers.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sl-a300-my-subjective-ish-review.36979/page-3

From all the trouble you've been having with this "wireless" setup, you can definitely see why people just run speaker wire. Wire works flawlessly and will outlive us all.

That's a really interesting scenario you have! It will make for a good case study or learning/teaching experience. The fundamental answer to the first question is that it's fine and normal to add another amplifier to get more power. All audio chains involve multiple components raising and lowering power along the way, BUT: that doesn't mean you should get another pre-amp to solve YOUR problem.

The part I can't be sure of is the interaction between: AVR -> SVS transmitter -> L30 II -> SMSL A300. I haven't used your setup, but it seems to me like there is enough power available to volume match a home theater. Maybe there is something wrong, like a component not working properly. Can you double-check if there is a way to lower the gain on all the OTHER channels to match the rears at their new max? Maybe the AVR volume boost setting at -10.

Yikes. Others have complained about that amp being noisy, too. I suggest returning it under warranty if you can. If you can't return it, I still suggest replacing it rather than buying another L30 II as a preamp. Amir recently gave the Fosi Audio BT20A Pro a glowing review, and the Fosi Audio V3 looks like a simplified version of that, which is all you would need for surround speakers.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sl-a300-my-subjective-ish-review.36979/page-3

From all the trouble you've been having with this "wireless" setup, you can definitely see why people just run speaker wire. Wire works flawlessly and will outlive us all.
Thank you. I will take a look at the Fosi. Seems like a good upgrade over the SMSL.

Honestly at this point I'm tempted to get a Pre90 + LA90 Discrete setup because I know for sure it would work lol.

novorei

On the "distortion vs power" graph the medium gain has better distortion at same power than low gain? Is that right?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There is a small measurable (with very expensive test equipment) inconsequential and inaudible difference indeed.
Note the 'inconsequential' and 'inaudble' here.
Use the gain switch what it is designed for, which is set it to the position so you get the most usable volume control range for the connected headphone.

novorei

There is a small measurable (with very expensive test equipment) inconsequential and inaudible difference indeed.
Note the 'inconsequential' and 'inaudble' here.
Use the gain switch what it is designed for, which is set it to the position so you get the most usable volume control range for the connected headphone.
I understand.

Could it become relevant for a sensitive IEM, or headphone/IEM on low volume?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
A sensitive IEM is only used on low gain most likely.
Low and medium gain have the same amount of background noise.

Trickle2x2

Does anyone know if this headphone amp is fine for the Audio Technica ATH R70x. I messaged them and they claimed they would not recommend I use this amp with their headphones and that the input impedance was very low. Not sure why exactly that matters. They recommend I use a Bellari HA543 instead which seems worse? I currently use this topping along with their DAC. I started messaging Audio Technica about this cause I noticed some distortion on some of my tracks I listen to.

Top Bottom