• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 314 86.3%

• Total voters

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I mean, it shouldn't be arbitrarily hard to get a good approximation of the noise floor... 0.3 µV(A) is "only" -128.2 dBu(A), which I imagine should be well within reach of at least some of the mic preamps you've got floating around. Even more so if you treat the stereo output as a balanced one with 3 dB higher noise and run that directly into the pre with a TRS --> XLR cable. (Yes, that might miss some common-mode noise, but we are not after the details at this point. Also, who cares if you need so much gain that the input clips before 50 mV, just as long as you are aware how much total system gain is. You are basically looking at the noise with a magnifying glass. Your measurement system does not need to have as much dynamic range as the output at all for this.)

Are you specifically going for a gain setting / volume combo on the L30 that gives 50 mV out with 2 V in, or just testing with volume turned down and an open (/shorted) input?

(If you need to do the math manually, here's a quick reminder that my RMS summing/unsumming calculator exists...)
I think my APU +34dB LNA is broken, by the way.
The thing technically has an unbalanced output. I would make sure the measurement setup is 100% devoid of ground loops before making any such assumptions.

Either way, even -96 dB ref. 50 mV or ~0.8 µV would still be as good as you'll ever need. That's something like -122 dBV, so should be <+20 dB SPL with any IEM in existence. Anything even better is really just showing off. But it should be reproducible if claimed, of course. We are looking for a unity gain stage with an equivalent flat input noise density of 2.75 nV/√(Hz). it's certainly not impossible if an OPA1612 (1.1 nV/√(Hz)) is involved.

Last edited:

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
0.3 µV(A) is "only" -128.2 dBu(A), which I imagine should be well within reach of at least some of the mic preamps you've got floating around.
Should be, indeed.
Even more so if you treat the stereo output as a balanced one with 3 dB higher noise and run that directly into the pre with a TRS --> XLR cable.
Good idea. I'll give it a try.

You are basically looking at the noise with a magnifying glass. Your measurement system does not need to have as much dynamic range as the output at all for this.
That's the idea of using a preamp. But the preamp itself has to be good enough.
Are you specifically going for a gain setting / volume combo on the L30 that gives 50 mV out with 2 V in, or just testing with volume turned down and an open (/shorted) input?
2V in, mid gain (low gain isn't any better), volume lowered to 50mV. So noise may be from the generator.
I may give it a try with my 150ohm resistor (will be 75 ohm then).
If you need to do the math manually, here's a quick reminder that my RMS summing/unsumming calculator exists...
I'll have a look, thanks
The thing technically has an unbalanced output. I would make sure the measurement setup is 100% devoid of ground loops before making any such assumptions.
That's indeed part of the issue.
Either way, even -96 dB ref. 50 mV or ~0.8 µV would still be as good as you'll ever need. That's something like -122 dBV, so should be <+20 dB SPL with any IEM in existence. Anything even better is really just showing off.
Of course. But it's so much above the others that I wanted to try and reproduce it. Also to assess how far I can measure.
But it should be reproducible if claimed, of course.
Exactly.

infinityfine

Hi, can someone tell me if this is a better buy price to peformance-wise than the almost triple price of the xDuoo TA-26?

The headphone i will be using is the 600ohm DT880.

I've also heard that tube amps are better for this headphone?

Are the cheaper xDuoo MT-602 better?

Ther'es also the A30Pros, im confused.
And lastly, how much "mW" power does the L30ii provide at 600ohms?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, can someone tell me if this is a better buy price to peformance-wise than the almost triple price of the xDuoo TA-26?

The headphone i will be using is the 600ohm DT880.

I've also heard that tube amps are better for this headphone?

Are the cheaper xDuoo MT-602 better?

Ther'es also the A30Pros, im confused.
And lastly, how much "mW" power does the L30ii provide at 600ohms?
Xduoo MT-602 is a hybrid tube amp, not a true tube amp. L30 will be better in the aspects of distortion and SINAD compared to a tube amp, but it depends on your taste.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can I use this DAC/AMP FX-Audio DAC X6 mkii as a DAC and feed it to the L30ii to drive the 600Ω DT880?
Yes.

There's also the Aiyima T6 Pro DAC/AMP - would this also pair well with the L30ii if use it solely as a DAC?
Sure

the reason im asking is because it has a bass and treble knob, will it work?
It should work. In most cases though, you're better off buying a simple, clean DAC and using software EQ to change bass and treble.

GabrielPhoto

I just ordered one! Lets see how it compares to the Douk U3 :)

frogmeat69

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just got one in today, and ugh, the knob is crooked and rubbing against the body of the amp. Looks like I have to return it for a replacement.
Anyone else have this problem? Just wondering if it's a common problem or not.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
QC issues can and do happen with inexpensive mass-market gear. Does the rub spot move with rotation (which would indicate that the knob itself is warped) or does it stay in the same place (which would indicate that the pot is soldered in crooked)?

As a first order of business I would give the knob a bit of a tug to get it out a millimeter or so. If that doesn't look wonky or anything, the knob may just have been pushed on with a bit too much gusto at the factory. I think my Atom Amp+ had the same issue when I got it.

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
QC issues can and do happen with inexpensive mass-market gear. Does the rub spot move with rotation (which would indicate that the knob itself is warped) or does it stay in the same place (which would indicate that the pot is soldered in crooked)?

As a first order of business I would give the knob a bit of a tug to get it out a millimeter or so. If that doesn't look wonky or anything, the knob may just have been pushed on with a bit too much gusto at the factory. I think my Atom Amp+ had the same issue when I got it.
Seemed that the whole pot was crooked, knob would rub on the bottom almost the whole time. I already returned it for another unit, one of the things Amazon does well when you order with Prime shipping.
If the next one is wonky, I might just get my money back. I like Topping products, they are fantastic when running properly, but this is my 3rd time having to deal with some kind of problem. The first 2 have been resolved, and hopefully this works out, too.

Veri

Master Contributor
Mm I had a few L30s and the knobs on both were quite all right. Maybe the very first I got had the best one though..

ikd

Can this drive He6se V2 well enough or should I not bother with that headphone?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Can this drive He6se V2 well enough or should I not bother with that headphone?
According to Amir's measurements, the L30II can drive the HE6se V1 to 113dB SPL Peak, which is very loud.
HiFiMAN claim that impedance and sensitivity is identical between the V1 and V2, however, they also claim that the V1 is 50Ω even though it's actually 64Ω.
Since no 3rd party, independent measurements of the V2's impedance and sensitivity exist, that's the best I can tell you.

Last edited:

frogmeat69

Forum Donor
Mm I had a few L30s and the knobs on both were quite all right. Maybe the very first I got had the best one though..
I have my original and the replacement, and the volume on those were smooth, this new one was janked up bad.

Doodooeater

I just ordered mine in blue. Through Amazon I got it from hifigo, they sent me the EU version with the wrong power supply. I can't use it.
Due to it being 3rd party I am now waiting for a back and forth, return lables...
It really gets me because I paid $20 for expedited shipping.
I guess I have another few weeks of my btr7 hd6xx combo before I can try the l30ii.

Roland68

Major Contributor
I just ordered mine in blue. Through Amazon I got it from hifigo, they sent me the EU version with the wrong power supply. I can't use it.
Due to it being 3rd party I am now waiting for a back and forth, return lables...
It really gets me because I paid $20 for expedited shipping.
I guess I have another few weeks of my btr7 hd6xx combo before I can try the l30ii.
Funny, that seems to happen quite often.
I had bought my L30 II (also blue) from HiFi College via Amazon and, although shipped from Amazon.de, received a device with a UK power supply. Ridiculous offer for a refund (not 30% off the price of a replacement PSU) or wait at least 4 weeks for a replacement.
I compared it to my old L30 and sent it back.
Then I ordered a Sabaj A20h (Balanced with absolute channel equal relay-based volume control and remote control) from Amazon for €20 less.#

I would definitely try to get the shipping cost refunded from Amazon as they sent you the wrong device that you can't use. It is the seller's fault and the shipping cost is not legal.

Jose Hidalgo

I'm happy that the L30 II doesn't suffer from any of the issues of good old L30. It looks like this can indeed become the 'default reference' for 99% of listeners! :D

I don't use the volume knob with my L30. It's always in max position, and I control the volume digitally via foobar and my keyboard. Since foobar outputs in 32-bit, there's a lot of headroom while remaining bitperfect. I'm perfectly happy that way. :cool:

PS : it feels a bit entitled to use big words like 'intolerable' about small details like that. Things you can't even hear / haven't even heard yourself :rolleyes:

Top Bottom