• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 II Review (Headphone Amp)

Rate this headphone amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 11 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 30 8.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 315 86.1%

• Total voters

lofidelity

Hi, I am not very familiar with the terminologies etc., wanted to know if the 2V input mentioned in https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...30-ii-review-headphone-amp.36027/post-1262627 means the input from the wall via the power brick or the input from the RCA plugs from DAC to the amp?

In my current setup with no dedicated DAC and just a regular 3.5mm out from my PC motherboard I plan to use a 3.5mm male to RCA male cable, in case the "2V input" from my previous question means through RCA, will I be bottle necking the amp due to less power?

I am sorry if this doesn't make sense, I read about the power through RCA thing on another thread for the first time here and am concerned about the setup I am planning to use with the L30II

staticV3

Master Contributor
@lofidelity
2V refers to the audio signal amplitude at the Amp's audio input.
Here's how much audio signal voltage you need at the L30II's input to get the full output:
L30II_ Audio input voltage required to clip output (High gain).png

My motherboard's Line out can only do 1.22Vrms, so would not be able to clip the L30II with loads above 20Ω.
How much voltage your motherboard can output I don't know.

lofidelity

@lofidelity
2V refers to the audio signal amplitude at the Amp's audio input.
Here's how much audio signal voltage you need at the L30II's input to get the full output:
View attachment 239211

My motherboard's Line out can only do 1.22Vrms, so would not be able to clip the L30II with loads above 20Ω.
How much voltage your motherboard can output I don't know.
Thanks, this makes a little more sense now. I think my ALC 892 cannot do better than 1.2Vrms unfortunately. could not find motherboard specific details.

can you please elaborate on what you mean by "would not be able to clip"?

Edit: I think I know what you mean. In my very basic understanding: with low input like the motherboard lineout, it would be harder to cause clipping on the amp as we would be farther away from full output

I am sure a better DAC would help, but do you think the output vrms from the motherboard would be a major issue? my dac has no issues that bother me as such, and I doubt I would want to listen to the L30 II at full output

Last edited:

Tkay

I just got mine today as well. I tried to see if the ifi Micro iDSD DAC is still able to get some pre out , but it's way too low so I guess it's broken for good. I fed it directly from the motherboard then I remembered I had a USB internal card available (this one http://www.ascendtech.us/asus-thunderbolt-audio-lan-combo-card_i_scasuthunderbol.aspx ). With the EQ APO filters set for Dan Clark Drop Closed X at - 6.10db I can't really stand max volume and I can hear some clipping, so I am guessing that sound card is outputting a fair amount of current. I will consider next week to order the matching E30 II or the E50 (or go nuts and stay with this card...).

Btw I am keeping my L30 II on H and it gets pretty hot. I am guessing it is expected, those Closed X are quite inefficient.

@amirm : is it possible to add the E30 II and the L30 II in the Review Index as well ? They are not there yet.

kneepel

@JohnYang1997

I'm using a dac/amp which has quite strong residual 384khz switching noise, would this pose an issue at all if I were to use it as a source for the L30?

SmokedBurger

Hello! I just purchased this amp and it’s on the way, are there any issues I should be worried about? I already have an l30 and I find that it lacks performance on my planars. Getting the mark 2 hopefully solves the problems. I’ve seen some people here commenting that the power cuts off when the protection kicks in at 50% volume, is this true?
Just got my l30 ii amp and it has absolutely 0 issues when paired with my d10s. I also use its preamp out for my xDuoo mt-602 hybrid tube amp and again, almost 0 noise.

dcolak

Friends my L30II is too hot to touch in use. Is that normal? I use it as a pre-amp.

I thought of putting E30II on top of L30II but it would make them both burn out.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Friends my L30II is too hot to touch in use. Is that normal? I use it as a pre-amp.

I thought of putting E30II on top of L30II but it would make them both burn out.
Open the space around both of them so they can cool as good as can be possible without a fan. Side by side works.

dcolak

Open the space around both of them so they can cool as good as can be possible without a fan. Side by side works.
The question is, why does it get THAT hot? It can't be good for its longevity?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The question is, why does it get THAT hot? It can't be good for its longevity?
Excessive heat is a bad thing but at a point it is within it's life expectancy and not too hot. I don't actually know how hot it is other than your account. :D

Tkay

I have the stack as well and initially I've put the L30 II on top, but it's kind of awkward and annoying with the headphone cable and the volume so I reversed them. Yes, the L30 II gets really hot but not to the point of not being able to touch it. I might consider that acrylic stand from Topping.

Cuprajake

Hi all,

Is the l30ii/e30ii a good pairing for lcd2c?

Will it have enough power?

Ahmonge

Forum Donor
Hi all,

Is the l30ii/e30ii a good pairing for lcd2c?

Will it have enough power?
With 2 Watss at 50 Ohms, you'll pass the 120 dB sound pressure driving the Audeze LCD2 Classics (101 dB/mW at 70 Ohms)

Cuprajake

Appreciate the answer,

The numbers go over my head, I just got a zen dac V2, but there's a DSD pop and it's awkward to turn off.

So I've ordered the topping stack already then thought crap, it might not run them

These forums are dangerous in the fact there's so many opinions, people love hate topping

Top Bottom