• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Gapter

Hi All, I just received my Topping L30 a couple of days ago. It's been performing well but I have an issue with the short cable on the included supply (I have a standing desk that is currently locked to sit to accommodate this). Been scouring for a replacement but a compatible adapter seems hard to come by and I haven't heard back from Topping after emailing the service desk.

The best options I've found available are the Schiit adapter rated at 14-16V and 1-2A output or the JDS Labs' at 16V/1A (and a generous 6ft cable length). Neither match perfectly on voltage (don't know why Schiit offers there's up as a variable rate) and was wondering if the L30 has a voltage regulator to handle either of these or if anyone here may be able to point me towards another option? Appreciate any help on this!

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi All, I just received my Topping L30 a couple of days ago. It's been performing well but I have an issue with the short cable on the included supply (I have a standing desk that is currently locked to sit to accommodate this). Been scouring for a replacement but a compatible adapter seems hard to come by and I haven't heard back from Topping after emailing the service desk.

The best options I've found available are the Schiit adapter rated at 14-16V and 1-2A output or the JDS Labs' at 16V/1A (and a generous 6ft cable length). Neither match perfectly on voltage (don't know why Schiit offers there's up as a variable rate) and was wondering if the L30 has a voltage regulator to handle either of these or if anyone here may be able to point me towards another option? Appreciate any help on this!
Recommendation is to get a extension cable. Notice the 5.5mm 2.5mm plug.
Something like this.
https://www.amazon.com/Jex-Electronics-Extension-Extender-Female/dp/B01AKDHM5W

Gapter

Thank you, that would work perfectly if it can handle the load! Any reason to not just grab that one you shared?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
...but the pass-through at the back there, is that similar to A30Pro whereby L50 has to be off for the SE and BAL at the back to send signal to monitors/active speakers ?
yes

Shadez

Why does the L30 require such a high input voltage from the DAC to achieve its quoted output power, it only has a single ended input so typically will only receive 2v where think it needs 3.7v? I have the E30 as the DAC to my Zen Can and that hits maximum output power both SE and Balanced with just 2v input from the DAC as do most balanced amps I belive.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why does the L30 require such a high input voltage from the DAC to achieve its quoted output power, it only has a single ended input so typically will only receive 2v where think it needs 3.7v? I have the E30 as the DAC to my Zen Can and that hits maximum output power both SE and Balanced with just 2v input from the DAC as do most balanced amps I belive.

Asked and answered many times in this very thread. Use advanced search to look only in this thread.

TLDR- because thats what it was designed to do. For the potential customer, the better question is, do you need more than what it can output with a 2v DAC and is it clear what that maximum is?

Last edited:

half_dog

I can't tell better than the designer. L30 is gain limited this way the amp won't clip under heavy load (32ohm and below)...

Shadez

what is the relevance of not clipping under 32ohm sorry I don't understand the connection, so the gain on the l30 is dependant of the voltage input of the signal not the power supplied to the opp amps then?

half_dog

what is the relevance of not clipping under 32ohm sorry I don't understand the connection, so the gain on the l30 is dependant of the voltage input of the signal not the power supplied to the opp amps then?
No, no... The gain is determinated by its internal circuit. Gain values have no relation to input voltage. However power output is related to the power supply, output circuit components and load. Buut for the amp reaches its highest power out the output circuit should be feed with a voltage value that allows it driven a specific load without saturating (clipping). Example: JDSLABS Atom has a higher gain than L30 and a similar voltage power supply output (+-15V), this higher gain makes it reachs 270mW over 300 ohm and 1.1W over 32 ohm - clipping. L30 being feed with 2V reaches only 110mW on 300ohm but 1W over 32ohm without clipping. This is possible because L30 has a higher capability to drive heavy loads than Atom. If you feed more voltage to L30 it will provide more power but Atom won't... Look at Atom+ and a10h (it has almost the same output circuit from L30) reviews, mainly the THD vs voltage output. A10h has a much better behavior...
Sorry any grammar mistake, I'm not native English speaker x.x

Seems like new topping L50 have both balanced and se inputs. Does it means that the balanced inputs electrically not connected, i.e i can use my 9038s dongle balanced output without killing it?

Veri

Master Contributor
Seems like new topping L50 have both balanced and se inputs. Does it means that the balanced inputs electrically not connected, i.e i can use my 9038s dongle balanced output without killing it?
I don't understand why the one thing would lead to the other. Pretty sure that, no, 9038s should not be connected to any amp (unless you provide it ground potential with some sort of DIY-way of cabling). Only 9038d can be connected to anything no problem.

Top Bottom