• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

The 6.3mm connector is not attached to the case but only to the PCB inside so can move a tiny bit. As long as there is no audible effect and the movement is small it'll probably be O.K.
The volume control is mounted to the chassis but even that can have a little 'play'.

Ah ok, cool.

So it looks the 6.35mm jack port moving a bit is normal for L30 and nothing to worry about?

bboris77

Here is a very short video of the headphone jack movement I have uploade to OneDrive
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AipIT1N1Kpg_ixzgDOCWfS4LKJl9?e=YJMPKx

@JohnYang1997 any thoughts after seeing the video? Should I still ask for a replacement or is there expected from newer vesrions of L30's?
You forgot to put the NSFW warning for the video lol.

Edit: Joking aside, it appears that only the cosmetic shiny ring (that looks like metal) is moving while the outer plastic cylinder is static. I don't have any devices with this type of jack, but this leads me to believe that the jack is securely attached to the PCB and is not moving. It appears that there is some play within the construction of connector itself which may be normal.

Last edited:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company

nathanpaulo

2012 and higher (currently shipping 21XX depending on seller) are safe, 2010 is not and should be exchanged.

I see, thanks, I wanna get it replaced if possible then. Is the only way to get it replaced thru the seller you bought it from? or is there another way (like emailing topping themselves?) and if so, how do I get a hold of the necessary people.

You forgot to put the NSFW warning for the video lol.

Edit: Joking aside, it appears that only the cosmetic shiny ring (that looks like metal) is moving while the outer plastic cylinder is static. I don't have any devices with this type of jack, but this leads me to believe that the jack is securely attached to the PCB and is not moving. It appears that there is some play within the construction of connector itself which may be normal.

Haha yes.

Yeah I had a real close look now at the jack port and not even the shiny ring is moving.
The only that moves is the actual 6.35mm plug of the headphone.
Seems like it doesn't go all the away in and there is like a 0.5-0.7mm gap between the shiny ring and the plug's hilt (no sure what else to call it lol) so there is still a tiny bit more left of the plug that can be pushed inside which gets gets push out by the metal strip inside the port.
The same thing with the included 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter plug.

So it doesn't look like the 6.35mm port itself is moving but looked like it was due to the shadow from the plug being moved in caused the shiny ring on the port to appear as if it was moving but only the plug it self it moving in a bit when pushed.
It seems that the port is securely attached to the PCB and thus no defect I think.

Oh the jack itself didn't move. That seems fine to me.

Yeah should be fine I think and no need to for my L30 to be replaced.

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see, thanks, I wanna get it replaced if possible then. Is the only way to get it replaced thru the seller you bought it from? or is there another way (like emailing topping themselves?) and if so, how do I get a hold of the necessary people.

The only way to get it replaced is through the seller. One reason is that some unscrupulous owners resold their old units (on eBay) that had already been replaced. Only the an original authorized seller would know the history of your amp.

half_dog

nathanpaulo

The only way to get it replaced is through the seller. One reason is that some unscrupulous owners resold their old units (on eBay) that had already been replaced. Only the an original authorized seller would know the history of your amp.
yikes that doesnt sound great. i pity those people who try to take advantage of the situation putting others at risk.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@JohnYang1997 , on the version number thing, Amazon.ca says: "The Latest Version: Its serial number is 2012 version or higher." Does that matter if it is 2012 or higher and if yes, why? What is the latest version number?

Thank you

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@JohnYang1997 , on the version number thing, Amazon.ca says: "The Latest Version: Its serial number is 2012 version or higher." Does that matter if it is 2012 or higher and if yes, why? What is the latest version number?

Thank you
This answers your question precisely, it was posted on page 199 : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.15226/post-691260

As for the latest version number, it's 2102 (meaning 2021, batch n°2). I've had confirmation last week from my AliExpress seller, and my two 2102 L30s are now on their way.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This answers your question precisely, it was posted on page 199 : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-headphone-amplifier-review.15226/post-691260

As for the latest version number, it's 2102 (meaning 2021, batch n°2). I've had confirmation last week from my AliExpress seller, and my two 2102 L30s are now on their way.

Thank you very much, it does answer my question. Unfortunately that means if I buy from Amazon.ca I may still get one that has ser#2012 and problem 2. (10% chance if I understood your post right). I wonder if there is a way to be sure I will get one newer than the 2012 version.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you very much, it does answer my question. Unfortunately that means if I buy from Amazon.ca I may still get one that has ser#2012 and problem 2. (10% chance if I understood your post right). I wonder if there is a way to be sure I will get one newer than the 2012 version.
Yes, it means exactly that, and no, there's no way to be 100% sure for 2012 models. Only 90%, and you can't know for sure without opening it.
Your best bet is to buy from a seller (any seller) that guarantees you that you will get a 2101+ model.
Or just buy from Amazon and return it free of charge if that's allowed and you get a 2012.

krumpol

Bought L30 with 2101XX serial number, can't be more happy with it after two weeks of 10-12 hours of daily use both in HPA and PRE mode. Have soldered my own cheap interconnects for it, using Klotz MY206 microphone cable and Neutrik NYS352 connectors. I was worried for its power output after reading some complaints in this thread, L30 is competent enough to drive my old DT990 to uncomfortable loudness at 0 dB gain preset with most of the source files though.

d10s.jpg

Macro

Does anyone know what size barrel connector is on the power cable? The stock cable is hella short, I was thinking of getting an extension.

Upped

Does anyone know what size barrel connector is on the power cable? The stock cable is hella short, I was thinking of getting an extension.
I think its just a 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel connector though what I did was just plug it into an extension cord to lengthen it

raif71

Major Contributor
Thanks, but I found out it's actually 2.5mm.
I think so too as I tried connecting my 2.1mm barrel to usb cord just to test and found that it's hard to slot into so I guess it must be 2.5mm.

Top Bottom