• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Others say their replacement is cooler. I have a feeling our memory of 'hotness' isn't the most accurate.
I put the old one back in service.

After 9.5 hours, the hottest it got was ~38C. So a few degrees cooler than the new one, which can go over 41C.

20210515_170319.jpg

jrfinkel

Welcome JR. The amplifier should usually be chosen based on the speakers, how large the room is, and how loud you will be playing them. Get an amp with sufficient power to make you, the room, and the speakers happy. There is nothing unusual about the L30s preamp output that would make one amp a better choice than another. ...
Thank you. I am considering the JBL Stage A130 speakers, which Amir rated highly. I have no need for them to be really loud as they will be in my bedroom. I will look into the amps you suggest. Thanks again.

raif71

Major Contributor
I put the old one back in service.

After 9.5 hours, the hottest it got was ~38C. So a few degrees cooler than the new one, which can go over 41C.

View attachment 129905

I had to return my previous unit to get the replacement!! You get to keep it when getting the replacement? If you get to keep yours, I'm happy for you as I really like my old unit which I think "nothing" was wrong if static was the only reason coz where I live, static rarely happens. Having said that, it is safest to replace it.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
I had to return my previous unit to get the replacement!! You get to keep it when getting the replacement? If you get to keep yours, I'm happy for you as I really like my old unit which I think "nothing" was wrong if static was the only reason coz where I live, static rarely happens. Having said that, it is safest to replace it.
Yeah, although I have not been getting statics for months, I recently starting to get a few.....So I have not been using the old one for a while now.

Left is the replacement. Right is the old one I turned on today just to check temp.

20210515_184509.jpg

Cacophony

the amp stage on my "repaired" DX3 Pro broke, a while back so I've been using a Meizu Hifi DAC Pro as my DAC/Amp, I've been thinking of buying the L30 to replace it, that should work fine with just the raw lineout setting of the DX3 Pro right?

Veri

Master Contributor
the amp stage on my "repaired" DX3 Pro broke, a while back so I've been using a Meizu Hifi DAC Pro as my DAC/Amp, I've been thinking of buying the L30 to replace it, that should work fine with just the raw lineout setting of the DX3 Pro right?
Should work fine, yes.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Has anybody seen a L30 with a S/N 2102 or higher ? Not necessarily a replacement : *any* L30. :confused:
My AliExpress seller is telling me that these don't exist yet, but I suspect he only means the replacements. I mean, we are almost in june, so the february batch should be more than ready and in stock by now. :rolleyes:

My seller said that I could either cancel my november order and be refunded, or ask for a replacement.
I was playing nice and going for the replacement, but I'm really tired of waiting and taking risks with my older L30. So I guess I could just cancel my order and order a new one from scratch.
IF the 2102+ units really exist of course ! :facepalm: Any clues ?...

(for those who wonder "why 2102+", just assume "no reason" - it has now become a personal issue)

mslim

Can someone tell me why Topping/John Yang went with a 15VAC power supply for this unit. Replacements for these are extremely difficult to find….. please point to a source.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Can someone tell me why Topping/John Yang went with a 15VAC power supply for this unit. Replacements for these are extremely difficult to find….. please point to a source.
Search function is your friend.
This is deliberately done so. The idea is to not let people randomly jam different power supply and break it/not having optimal performance.
Performance wise, you get low power supply noise, low mains leakage. And other 15VAC supply usually don't have enough output when loaded at rated wattage. The provided one does.
Solution to finding a replacement is quite simple, ask your seller for another one.

Veri

Master Contributor
I can tell you why. It is deliberately made difficult so you can't get a spare Topping-direct 15VAC PSU for no real reason, so the people that have a free fixed/new L30 and an older vulnerable-to-static one, can't just use the old one for nefarious purposes (could gift it to someone, sell it; none of which is a good idea since it can fail).

Top Bottom