• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

solderdude

Grand Contributor
to remove the PCB only the rear panel and the nut around the volpot need to be removed.

Remove the volpot knob (pieces of string) and the nut around the volpot and you can pull out the PCB.

dgnzcn

Can Topping L30 connection be made with motherboard spdif output?

81HBttjv2WL.jpg

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Can Topping L30 connection be made with motherboard spdif output?

The E30 yes, probably only support up to 24/96. The biggest advantage, however, is that you do not have to worry about ground loops.
The L30 is an amp only so can only be connected to the green line-out 3.5mm TRS jack.

dgnzcn

The E30 yes, probably only support up to 24/96. The biggest advantage, however, is that you do not have to worry about ground loops.
The L30 is an amp only so can only be connected to the green line-out 3.5mm TRS jack.

But if I connect an amp output on the green output to the topping L30, won't it cause a malfunction?
So let's say it worked, doesn't it differentiate the sound quality?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But if I connect an amp output on the green output to the topping L30, won't it cause a malfunction?

You cannot connect 2 outputs together.
Instead of the E30 you can connect the PC line-out (green TRS) to the L30 INPUT (TRS to 2x RCA cable).
But since you already have the E30 connect the E30 via SPDIF and the E30 to the L30.

sagiib

Hi there! First post here, I just bought my first L30, serial "2101". Loving the sound, it's my first dedicated HP Amp so I can't compare it with anything else, I was just using my HP out from my MOTU Ultralite, and there's a huge difference.

But it makes a very audible click sound when turning it on, both choosing HPA or PRE, or when switching between the 2 modes. It just doesn't make that click when you turn it off. It doens't make the click either when swithcing between +9/0/-9.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but as there has been some issues with previous verions, I would like to know if that's normal and all the units are making that click when turning it on or switching modes.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Veri

Master Contributor
But it makes a very audible click sound when turning it on, both choosing HPA or PRE, or when switching between the 2 modes. It just doesn't make that click when you turn it off. It doens't make the click either when swithcing between +9/0/-9.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but as there has been some issues with previous verions, I would like to know if that's normal and all the units are making that click when turning it on or switching modes.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Just tested. I use mine around 8hours a day, 2012XXXX serial no. Turn on (HPA): click. Pre mode: click. Back to HPA mode: click. Turn off: click. These might simply be the muting relays. In any case it's completely harmless. I would not worry :D

Quomz

Is the relay activated in button operations in topping L30?
It has no buttons, only two switches and a volume knob. For the Off / HPA / Pre switch there is a - relay? - click on change like Veri described. Same for both my original and replacement as far as I recall.

dgnzcn

It has no buttons, only two switches and a volume knob. For the Off / HPA / Pre switch there is a - relay? - click on change like Veri described. Same for both my original and replacement as far as I recall.

Actually, when I was typing a button, I mean switch, and I have an L30 :) :)

Iglo

Forum Donor
Yes, the L30 has relay controlled outputs (so the clicks you hear when using the switches are the relays).

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Both the outputs as well as the gain switch all go through relays. So yes... clicking sounds is what it is supposed to do.

Iglo

Forum Donor
I must say that I like the clicking sounds, feels like the amp is getting ready for business ;)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
One can clearly see the hand soldered parts and the lack of proper cleaning.
The 2012 version is better in that aspect as well.

companyja

Seems like this area has changed, of course aside from the holes in the corners, the pin and those five holes in the middle with a + sign on the back

vUMUUmO.jpg

Other than that, looks identical to me

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Can see clear changes to the dc protection circuit. To the top of the chip are diode ,resistor , resistor , capacitor , diode on the 2012 version below the chip there are three resistors. On 2006 above the chip we have diode, diode , resistor , resistor, cap and below there are two resistors. Cant see the values. There is also a change to the switch and led traces leading back to the rest of the circuit on the underside. And a additional little trace by the gain switch.

Last edited:

sagiib

Just tested. I use mine around 8hours a day, 2012XXXX serial no. Turn on (HPA): click. Pre mode: click. Back to HPA mode: click. Turn off: click. These might simply be the muting relays. In any case it's completely harmless. I would not worry :D

Thank you all for the replies, I'm glad this is normal then :)

There's no click when turning the unit off tho, so that's different from your unit Veri, but I guess that's not a problem anyway.

Thanks again!

imnotdrunk

I got my L30 replacement yesterday and at first I was happy, hooked up my headphones and sound was great both from my laptop via USB and TV via optical to E30 to L30 to headphones.

Today I can't get it to work. The only difference is that I set up the APO Equalizer on the laptop. I can get sound from my speakers if I disconnect the L30 and go directly from E30 to my preamp. However from L30 I cannot get any sound (E30 in DAC mode) via headphone output or through my speakers in PRE mode. Tried 3 different RCA cable pairs between the E30 and L30 too. Tried my laptop via USB and TV via optical like yesterday. Anything I'm missing?

Top Bottom