• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Pawlakbest

Got replacement. Unfortunately it's not as nicely build as original unit, because volume knob is not perfectly parallel to unit front. Fortunately it seems to be fully fixed as there is a pin on the rear of the PCB.
What really pissed me off was DHL. I got taxed, what's OK, it just happens sometimes, but on top of that they also charged me about 20 USD (as much as tax itself) as their customs clearence fee. Post charges extra 5 USD in the worst case. Shipping was also quite slow, as the package spend few days in Leipzig and than again about a week in Warsaw. JohnYang1997 please don't use them when shipping something to Poland.
Today I received my replacement unit from Shenzhenaudio just 11 days after contacting them. Unit serial number starts with 2012. Got it delivered to Poland with no additional cost. Volume knob acts and feels the same as the 2006 unit I had earlier. Overally very pleased with the support.

sandymc

Today I received my replacement unit from Shenzhenaudio just 11 days after contacting them. Unit serial number starts with 2012. Got it delivered to Poland with no additional cost. Volume knob acts and feels the same as the 2006 unit I had earlier. Overally very pleased with the support.

Well, I contacted Shenzen Audio on Feb 10. A replacement L30 was shipped on Feb 23. It's still "in transit". So while I was initially impressed that they were replacing the unit, I'm now less than impressed. Feels like shipping is via ox-cart.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm surprised that in march 2021 Shenzhenaudio are still shipping replacement units produced in december 2020 :oops: They should be shipping units produced in february 2021 at this point. Is there any reason for that ? Have they reserved the whole 2012 batch for replacements ?
I haven't ordered my replacements yet, because like I said I won't be accepting any replacement unless its S/N starts with 2102 or higher.

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Just received my replacement unit today. That was a long wait but it's finally back.

I must say that Topping's apology letter probably doesn't help (in fact, it does the opposite...). I'd highly appreciate it if manuals, website and other documents would be translated properly (by actual translator) and use proper langue.

"Langue" is a fine touch that not many people would understand ;-)

dragonlite

I got mine replacement from APOS a few weeks back. The new L30 ran smoothly so far without any issues. It was also noticeably cooler than my old unit (2007xxx) when idle.

I would say APOS support was better than I expected. It took a few online messages and one picture of the old L30 to get the replacement within one week.

audiojoe

I know this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm just out of ideas here. I bought my L30 last Juli from Amazon Germany with Shenzhen audio as the seller. I have reached out to their support mail for a replacement unit and they kept telling me to contact the "amazon seller", which I told them WAS shenzhen audio. After the 2nd mail exchange, they told me they meant there is different staff for that I should reach out to and they would contact their colleagues to help me solve my problem. For context, last year I had a problem with shipping so they also gave me some weird other mail and I reached out to that one as well this time, but I have not received any reply from both mails for 2 whole months...
This week I reached out to support again and the same person told me the same thing "sorry, please contact your amazon seller and I will contact my colleagues, thanks".
I have already looked on Amazon for any mail info, but there is nothing and if I click on "replace item" it says "item cannot be replaced". The product page also does not exist anymore. Anybody have an idea what I should do? Am I just cluelessly missing something really simple here? :(

CTRLM

Got my replacement L30 (2012). It also seems to run cooler at idle than my 2007. Also interesting is that the headphone connection is different - it has a little bit of spring back out compared to my old unit where the headphone plug locked in flush.

I have a question - I want to extend the the length of the power supply cable using some sort of 2.5 female to 2.5 male extension. Can I use a DC extension or is it some sort of AC only requirement?

jannek

I know this is the wrong place to ask, but I'm just out of ideas here. I bought my L30 last Juli from Amazon Germany with Shenzhen audio as the seller. I have reached out to their support mail for a replacement unit and they kept telling me to contact the "amazon seller", which I told them WAS shenzhen audio. After the 2nd mail exchange, they told me they meant there is different staff for that I should reach out to and they would contact their colleagues to help me solve my problem. For context, last year I had a problem with shipping so they also gave me some weird other mail and I reached out to that one as well this time, but I have not received any reply from both mails for 2 whole months...
This week I reached out to support again and the same person told me the same thing "sorry, please contact your amazon seller and I will contact my colleagues, thanks".
I have already looked on Amazon for any mail info, but there is nothing and if I click on "replace item" it says "item cannot be replaced". The product page also does not exist anymore. Anybody have an idea what I should do? Am I just cluelessly missing something really simple here? :(

I also bought from Shenzhenaudio via Amazon and first contacted them via facebook. The internal forwarding did not work too. You need to contact them via Amazon. This is not too easy because messages to the seller are somewhat hidden in the Amazon menu.
Having found that the exchange was a breeze.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
.... This week I reached out to support again and the same person told me the same thing "sorry, please contact your amazon seller and I will contact my colleagues, thanks".
I have already looked on Amazon for any mail info, but there is nothing and if I click on "replace item" it says "item cannot be replaced". The product page also does not exist anymore. Anybody have an idea what I should do?......:(

It is complicated to reach Amazon sellers. I answered this earlier for Amazon USA, I hope it works the same in Germany.

This is how to Email a seller using Amazon Messaging:
1. Find your Purchase in your order history.
2. Click on "INVOICE" ( Not Product support)
3. Click On "Seller Profile" after "Your Sellers Name" on the invoice
4. Click on "Ask Seller A Question" (this opens up the Amazon Seller Messaging Assistant)
5. Click on "Question on an Order I have Placed"
6. Click "Select" the Topping L30
7. Click on "Other" for the topic, and then "Other" again.
8. Finally, you can send your message.

raif71

Major Contributor
I'm surprised that in march 2021 Shenzhenaudio are still shipping replacement units produced in december 2020:oops: They should be shipping units produced in february 2021 at this point. Is there any reason for that ? Have they reserved the whole 2012 batch for replacements ?
I haven't ordered my replacements yet, because like I said I won't be accepting any replacement unless its S/N starts with 2102 or higher.
Could be, as most probably most L30 boxes without power supply are 2012 and this is supposed to be replacement for L30 with < 2012 SN. Of course this is just a guess.

Last edited:

Pawlakbest

I'm surprised that in march 2021 Shenzhenaudio are still shipping replacement units produced in december 2020:oops: They should be shipping units produced in february 2021 at this point. Is there any reason for that ? Have they reserved the whole 2012 batch for replacements ?
tempsnip.png
1616326373327.png

Even though i bought them at the same time there is 2 months difference between them. Looks like L30 are behind in production or they have oversupply of older models and they want to send them first.

Attachments

• 1616326234851.png
    1616326234851.png
    38.5 KB · Views: 92

audiojoe

It is complicated to reach Amazon sellers. I answered this earlier for Amazon USA, I hope it works the same in Germany.

This is how to Email a seller using Amazon Messaging:
1. Find your Purchase in your order history.
2. Click on "INVOICE" ( Not Product support)
3. Click On "Seller Profile" after "Your Sellers Name" on the invoice
4. Click on "Ask Seller A Question" (this opens up the Amazon Seller Messaging Assistant)
5. Click on "Question on an Order I have Placed"
6. Click "Select" the Topping L30
7. Click on "Other" for the topic, and then "Other" again.
8. Finally, you can send your message.
Thank you so much! Kind of ridiculous how "hidden" this option is -_- Fingers crossed this works...

companyja

I bought a new L30 with the power adapter back in February and it was still a 2012 unit. It seems like they made a huge amount of 2012 units and are still selling those. I opened it up to see the fix and it looks like it came out of the factory with the pin already, no excess glue visible.

I'm glad most people are getting less hot L30s, but mine is very warm. I once saw it get quite hot when off! I know some current still gets passed as the AC transformer works but it was perhaps the warmest I've ever seen it after being "off" for a few hours. I keep it on a power strip that I turn off at night when I'm not using it. Funnily enough, it seems to get the warmest when it is not in use. I understand this might not be a problem for people who just turn it on for a listening session and turn it off, but for people like me who use it as basically a soundcard and have it on most of the time, the warmth is a bit concerning for the longevity of the thing

Iglo

Forum Donor
Do you switch the L30 off on the device when not in use (using the flip switches at the front)? And does it still get hot when you have switched it off?

dmac6419

Major Contributor
Do you switch the L30 off on the device when not in use (using the flip switches at the front)? And does it still get hot when you have switched it off?
I use a smart powerstrip for all my electronic,no it doesn't get hot because it not getting electric

Veri

Master Contributor
I switch it off and then plug out the power supply, it's in a strip right on my desk so it's hardly inconvenient. Otherwise, yes, the transformer and L30 can still generate a bit of heat, less than when it's ON feeding a headphone though. This because it is a very simple/dumb transformer. I don't think the Atom or magni heresy supplies are any better in this regard.

Yoyop

Yes I have the same thing, only with my 2012 L30, my older one (2008) never did this.
But it works fine, just sometimes the power led turn on, then off for half a second, then go ON normally.
The "clicking" noise when power is ON is happening after the "second" power led

I don't know how to explain, my english isn't pretty good :p

So, any news of L30 2012+ users ? Do you have this happen sometimes ?
Just to be more specific, it happens when I turn it ON (I daily turn if off the night before fall asleep :p)
I haven't notice a temperature changed with my new unit, it's still warm but... it's a tiny powerfull amp so it's normal for me.

artburda

Just to be more specific, it happens when I turn it ON (I daily turn if off the night before fall asleep :p)
I haven't notice a temperature changed with my new unit, it's still warm but... it's a tiny powerfull amp so it's normal for me.
I also had the short blinking with my replacement L30 SN 2012.

ngs428

I have the same thing. It does not happen all the time maybe 50% of the time.

FedHal

Does anyone know who I need to contact to get compensated for my melted Takstar Pro 82 headphones my old Topping L30?
According to @JohnYang1997, @Jimbob54 has been compensated for this. But I have already written on here to him and have had no response. I wrote to Shenzhenaudio (where I bought my L30 unit), but they are not taking care of this.

Top Bottom