• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Tup3x

Good thing I bought mine from Finland so replacement should be straight forward and the shop is on top of the situation.

DSJR

Major Contributor
On Amazon UK, is 'Linsoul Topping' the same as 'usual' Topping? After the D10 issues, would be nice to know. Not even sure you can get this in the UK currently and I'm certain the price has increased as well (now around £147). If this is addressed further back in the thread I apologise.

wrigglycheese

But why can't anyone here conceive that anyone could hear these differences? I have been "playing" with hifi for forty years, I have done tests and counter-tests (I am an engineer) and I know very well my hearing capabilities. As I wrote before evidently the human hearing and brain perceive things that we surely do not measure yet. The human being does not know yet 100% of physics and any other science. So why be obtuse and deny?

Excuse me, while I just go oil my snake

DSJR

Major Contributor
Has to be repeated - amazing how these sonic differences so often seem to evaporate when levels are matched and you're relaxed and don't know which is playing... In my times, I've done so many dems, often of the same gear with same cabling and reached different conclusions depending on mood and so on. I really DON'T just 'trust my ears' any more and now can't in any case as they change so much - I'm now mid 60's by the way - ouch!

threni

Major Contributor
On Amazon UK, is 'Linsoul Topping' the same as 'usual' Topping? After the D10 issues, would be nice to know. Not even sure you can get this in the UK currently and I'm certain the price has increased as well (now around £147). If this is addressed further back in the thread I apologise.

Heh, I remember wondering that when I was looking at Topping stuff. Linsoul is just a company which sells audio kit on amazon, and they've clearly decided to stick their name in front of the products they sell. I look forward to the day I can purchase a Linsoul Apple MacBook!

Last edited:

Optical

I have one turning up tomorrow (Mon) from a UK vendor (Electromod) who recieved 2012+ stock on the 29th January. It was £110 + shipping. I ordered an L30 from two differnet suppliers on Amazon a couple of weeks ago but they were both 2011 (depsite one of the sellers telling me it wouldn't be!)

Last edited:

Strawberryseed

Quick question about the L30 from a newbie: Should I be worried/concerned if I have a serial 2009 L30 but works perfectly? Is this issue something that gives warnings before failure? Is the issue something that will eventually happen, or purely by chance?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Quick question about the L30 from a newbie: Should I be worried/concerned if I have a serial 2009 L30 but works perfectly? Is this issue something that gives warnings before failure? Is the issue something that will eventually happen, or purely by chance?
I recommend the replacement.
The cause of failure is high voltage ESD. So you'd know when it happens.

companyja

I'm waiting for a local reseller to recieve his newest batch of L30 orders in order to see whether they are 2012 units or older. If they are 2012 units, what is the possibility of them destroying my headphones? I know some 2012 units can still fail due to ESD (or whatever else) but are all 2012 protected or am I still playing the lottery? There must be a 2 weeks-ish period between him ordering and getting the units from China so I doubt these will be the absolute newest units with complete protection.

filipduarte

@SHENZHENAUDIO just sent me a message saying that they are trying hard to send my new L30 before the Chinese New Year.
Fingers crossed.:)
After shipping, I must wait 30 to 60 days to put my hands on it, brazilian customs is a mess...

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it happens, if headphones are attached, it can fry the voice coils.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this issue something that gives warnings before failure?
There will be no warning.

Is the issue something that will eventually happen, or purely by chance?
There is no telling if it will happen for sure but there is a chance it will happen.

Exchange your older serial number for a new revised number and then you can sleep at ease. :D

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have two questions :
  1. About the old L30 "frying headphones" issue : at what moment does it happen precisely ?
    1. When starting up the L30 (on/off switch)
    2. At any point during operation, but only when touching the L30 physically (body or volume knob)
    3. At any point during operation, without even touching the L30 physically (your are listening to music, and then suddenly BOOM! Your headphones and your ears blow up in a second :facepalm:)
    4. When turning off the L30 (on/off switch)
    5. Another reply

2. Some time ago I asked if it was advisable to plug the L30 to a multi-socket with an on/off switch, and then only use the multi-socket's on/off switch instead of the L30 on/off switch (the L30 switch would be always left at the on position). I didn't get a clear, scientific reply. Would it be good ? Bad ? And why exactly ? I'd really like to understand. Thank you.

NgtFlyer

I'm waiting for a local reseller to recieve his newest batch of L30 orders in order to see whether they are 2012 units or older. If they are 2012 units, what is the possibility of them destroying my headphones? I know some 2012 units can still fail due to ESD (or whatever else) but are all 2012 protected or am I still playing the lottery? There must be a 2 weeks-ish period between him ordering and getting the units from China so I doubt these will be the absolute newest units with complete protection.

Zero chance. As @JohnYang1997 confirmed earlier, 10% have the protection fix and 90% have the ESD and protection fix in the 2012 (December 2020) serial numbers. You can use your unit with confidence.

NgtFlyer

I have two questions :
  1. About the old L30 "frying headphones" issue : at what moment does it happen precisely ?
    2. At any point during operation, but only when touching the L30 physically (body or volume knob)
    3. At any point during operation, without even touching the L30 physically (your are listening to music, and then suddenly BOOM! Your headphones and your ears blow up in a second :facepalm:)
    5. Another reply
  2. Some time ago I asked if it was advisable to plug the L30 to a multi-socket with an on/off switch, and then only use the multi-socket's on/off switch instead of the L30 on/off switch (the L30 switch would be always left at the on position). I didn't get a clear, scientific reply. Would it be good ? Bad ? And why exactly ? I'd really like to understand. Thank you.
The problem occurs any time during use without any warning whatsoever. It is a sudden failure state caused by electro static discharge (It's winter in this hemisphere, so the air is dry in a lot of places). Usually happens if you touch part of the unit and you are charged.
There is less of a chance if your unit is not grounded (such as when being fed by an E30 that only has TOSlink connected as a signal and powered with the included AC adapter). but if you have a pre-December 2020 unit (prior to 2012 serial numbers), get it replaced.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have two questions :

Can be on all of the above situations, without any warning when your body has charged to a static voltage above 8kV (a body can charge up to 30kV in low humidity conditions and with isolating materials under your feet).
You won't feel/know you are statically charged until the moment your body discharges when touching something.
Static charges can only be measured with specific measurement equipment that is grounded.
I have this meter and have measured voltages above 15kV on human bodies.

1. Some time ago I asked if it was advisable to plug the L30 to a multi-socket with an on/off switch, and then only use the multi-socket's on/off switch instead of the L30 on/off switch (the L30 switch would be always left at the on position). I didn't get a clear, scientific reply. Would it be good ? Bad ? And why exactly ? I'd really like to understand. Thank you.

You would have to avoid touching the L30. That's the only condition.
Grounding the enclosures will make eliminate this condition.

Below serial numbers starting with 2012 get it replaced. Period.

Turkleton

You won't feel/know you are statically charged until the moment your body discharges when touching something.

I remember when I was a kid, I'd "skate" along the carpeted floor with my arms stuck out to be an inch parallel to the walls of the hallway from our living room to the toilet. I'd build up a charge to a point where the hairs on my arm stood up and I could literally feel the static electricity on my body.

I remember touching knobs to release the charge or going up to my mom/dad/brothers to give them a good shock. It was a fun hurt... Long story short, how many volts is it when it reaches that stage that you can actually feel the built up charge around your body?

Edit: Sorry for off-topic question, tried searching but couldn't find the answer so I thought I'd ask an expert!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I remember when I was a kid, I'd "skate" along the carpeted floor with my arms stuck out to be an inch parallel to the walls of the hallway from our living room to the toilet. I'd build up a charge to a point where the hairs on my arm stood up and I could literally feel the static electricity on my body.

I remember touching knobs to release the charge or going up to my mom/dad/brothers to give them a good shock. It was a fun hurt... Long story short, how many volts is it when it reaches that stage that you can actually feel the built up charge around your body?

> 20kV for sure. It could shortly even be >30kV but such high voltages only last shortly. It dissipates quickly to voltages below 30kV.

Rub a balloon over wool and that balloon can hold well over 30kV on some specific spots. Just not enough 'mass' in electrons and it won't conduct that electricity like the body does so the 'jolt' you would get is too short to notice but you sure will feel the hairs on the arm or head moving.

Quomz

There is less of a chance if your unit is not grounded (such as when being fed by an E30 that only has TOSlink connected as a signal and powered with the included AC adapter). but if you have a pre-December 2020 unit (prior to 2012 serial numbers), get it replaced.
Will TOSLink be save enough that it is suggested as a work-around?

Top Bottom