• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

Veri

Master Contributor
I just learned about the ESD issues and damaged headphones. My amp is purchased in September and still going very strong without any problems. My headphones are fine as well. The serial number starts with 2006. Do you think I should exchange it to a newer revision or no need to bother?
Mine works perfectly but I'm still requesting an updated unit just to be safe.

NgtFlyer

I ordered my unit from Hifi Collage through Amazon. I am assuming I contact them through Amazon, or directly for my replacement when the time comes?

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered my unit from Hifi Collage through Amazon. I am assuming I contact them through Amazon, or directly for my replacement when the time comes?

Mine is also from HiFi College. I contacted them through Amazon and they responded within 24 hours and quickly arranged for the replacement. I suggest you use Amazon messaging, because in the past when I contacted them directly they suggested I use Amazon messaging because they have reps who specialize in Amazon sales. I have been very pleased with my experience with HiFi College.

Last edited:

Yimir

Mine are also from HiFi College. I contacted them through Amazon and they responded within 24 hours and quickly arranged for the replacement. I suggest you use Amazon messaging, because in the past when I contacted them directly they suggested I use Amazon messaging because they have reps who specialize in Amazon sales. I have been very pleased with my experience with HiFi College.

Hello. I got mine thru Amazon from HiFi College as well. I contacted them and waiting for a response. If you don't mind me asking a few things. Are they covering shipping costs? and how quickly is the replacement coming?

I'm debating about just returning my L30 as defective since i'm still within the Return window until the 31st. Then buying a new L30 from apos. But if HiFi College can get me a replacement fast i'll probably work with them for a replacement. Trying to find the best option with minimal down time.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello. I got mine thru Amazon from HiFi College as well.....

The replacement procedure is costing me nothing. I do not know how long the replacement will take to arrive, but if they respond as quickly as they did for me, they will outline the procedure and you can ask them what to expect. Since you are within the HiFi College return period, they may provide you with additional options.

Reckoner

I received the email from HIFI GO. I came to the forum and found hundreds of messages, I am lost.
I have been using L30 for about six months, for hours every day with no problem. With Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee and Kz Zs10 Pro, no problem.
I am from Argentina, here the taxes and customs are very expensive. I bought from HIFI GO. I asked them if there was no way the new L30 wasn't that expensive.
I hope they declare a lower cost product. Customs will take too much money from me. I also have E30.
I hope I can afford it. I stopped using L30 as a precaution.

Last edited:

NgtFlyer

Recibí el correo electrónico de HIFI GO. Llegué al foro y encontré cientos de mensajes, estoy perdido.
He estado usando L30 durante unos seis meses, durante horas todos los días sin ningún problema. Con Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee y Kz Zs10 Pro, sin ningún problema.
Soy de Argentina, aquí los impuestos y las aduanas son muy caros. Compré de HIFI GO. Les pregunté si no había forma de que el nuevo L30 no fuera tan caro.
Espero que declaren un producto de menor costo. La aduana me quitará demasiado dinero. También tengo E30.
Espero poder pagarlo. Dejé de usar L30 por precaución.

Above translated to English:

I received the email from HIFI GO. I came to the forum and found hundreds of messages, I am lost.
I have been using L30 for about six months, for hours every day with no problem. With Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee and Kz Zs10 Pro, no problem.
I am from Argentina, here the taxes and customs are very expensive. I bought from HIFI GO. I asked them if there was no way the new L30 wasn't that expensive.
I hope they declare a lower cost product. Customs will take too much money from me. I also have E30.
I hope I can afford it. I stopped using L30 as a precaution.

NgtFlyer

Mine are also from HiFi College. I contacted them through Amazon and they responded within 24 hours and quickly arranged for the replacement. I suggest you use Amazon messaging, because in the past when I contacted them directly they suggested I use Amazon messaging because they have reps who specialize in Amazon sales. I have been very pleased with my experience with HiFi College.

Thank you for this, I will contact them via Amazon then. Much appreciate it!

sotiridaf

I bought mine from Audiophonics. They asked to send a photo of my L30 with the serial and the dac being detroyed on top by a screwdriver. They will send me a new L30 .

catalogguy

Forum Donor
I would like to share my positive experience so far with Apos regarding the L30 exchange program. I asked whether they will be supportive, and they assured me they will. Apos later sent me the email quoted in part below and another with the order number for my replacement L30.

While I do not yet have a replacement in hand, the communication from Apos has been encouraging. I expect to remain a customer of both Topping and Apos.

"I'd like to provide you with an update on the status of the replacement program for the TOPPING L30.

As you might have heard, besides the DC protection design improvement on the L30 (serial number 2012 or higher), TOPPING has also further refined the L30 to address the ESD concern in rare instances. I am happy to let you know that the replacement unit you are entitled to will include all the latest revisions.

I have already gone ahead and submitted a shipment request for the replacement unit with our warehouse. And we'll have it shipped out to you as soon as we receive them from TOPPING. At this point, TOPPING is working overtime to ramp up the production of the L30. Your understanding and patience are greatly appreciated.

Please note that the replacement shipment will NOT include the power adapter for the L30. You will need to continue to use your current power adapter that came with your original L30 for the new unit. Once you have received the replacement L30, please kindly recycle your original L30 at your earliest convenience."

dmac6419

Major Contributor
I would like to share my positive experience so far with Apos regarding the L30 exchange program. I asked whether they will be supportive, and they assured me they will. Apos later sent me the email quoted in part below and another with the order number for my replacement L30.

While I do not yet have a replacement in hand, the communication from Apos has been encouraging. I expect to remain a customer of both Topping and Apos.

"I'd like to provide you with an update on the status of the replacement program for the TOPPING L30.

As you might have heard, besides the DC protection design improvement on the L30 (serial number 2012 or higher), TOPPING has also further refined the L30 to address the ESD concern in rare instances. I am happy to let you know that the replacement unit you are entitled to will include all the latest revisions.

I have already gone ahead and submitted a shipment request for the replacement unit with our warehouse. And we'll have it shipped out to you as soon as we receive them from TOPPING. At this point, TOPPING is working overtime to ramp up the production of the L30. Your understanding and patience are greatly appreciated.

Please note that the replacement shipment will NOT include the power adapter for the L30. You will need to continue to use your current power adapter that came with your original L30 for the new unit. Once you have received the replacement L30, please kindly recycle your original L30 at your earliest convenience."
Got the same email

mt196

I know you may have said this in jest but it will only be taken the wrong way and will further aggravate the situation. Let's try to keep this thread civil and polite in order to better help and respect those who have been directly affected by the issue at hand and are dealing with it.
Yeah, I just said that because it seems that for US citizens, stuff done in the US is like the best quality possible, while there are a lot of good manufacturers out there that are based outside US, including in China. It wasn't of course anything discriminatory, in fact it was an answer to a biased post claiming US master quality. Peace!

Nobel Laureates

Mmmurica 390
Italy 20

That is exactly how you measure manufacturing quality, but I mean what am I expecting from someone using feets to measure stuff in 2020 /s :p

NONTAS

I don't think we want to be handing out any transparency medals here.

Topping knew there was a problem with the voltage regulation back in November. And they snuck a fix in for that into the December production units without telling anyone. At least I could not find a mention of it in this thread.

The so-called transparency didn't happen until there were several amp failures with headphone damage. Until, because of social media complaints, they were forced to mention that they had already implemented a fix in order to minimize damage to the brand.

Hopefully, next time they will be more transparent. If Topping had said something back in November about the DC regulation, then someone might have remembered that a member had already reported in October multiple ESD problems with amp failure and a headphone death.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ne-amplifier-review.15226/page-80#post-546135

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-amplifier-review.15226/page-106#post-584342

There could have been this same discussion much earlier where people analyzed the amp and determined why there could be an ESD problem. And @Jimbob54 and others might have been more cautious with ESD and their L30.
Ηi, i bought my L30 from HIFI COLLEGE (via amazon.de) a couple of days ago. My S/N starts from 2008, should i do anything or it is one of the newest series so i don't have to worry?

ngs428

Ηi, i bought my L30 from HIFI COLLEGE (via amazon.de) a couple of days ago. My S/N starts from 2008, should i do anything or it is one of the newest series so i don't have to worry?
The newest units with the DC protection are S/N 2012, so yours does not have that protection. It is up to you, but you would be eligible for an exchange for a “fixed” unit. Contact Amazon.de/HIFI College if interested.

Yimir

The replacement procedure is costing me nothing. I do not know how long the replacement will take to arrive, but if they respond as quickly as they did for me, they will outline the procedure and you can ask them what to expect. Since you are within the HiFi College return period, they may provide you with additional options.

I just heard back. They want a picture of the SN Number and for me to destroy the current unit. Hmm I would prefer to have a working unit until I get one. I asked what they meant by certificate of destruction. I asked the timeframe for a new unit as well. I'll see what they say.

But I think I might just use the Amazon Return policy as a Defective device instead. Then buy a new unit from APOS.

UPDATE: I was able to work with HIFI College on Amazon and just put deep obvious scratches in the top for Destroying the unit for now. Problem solved. They are getting a unit shipped out to me today. Really quick turn around. I'm happy.

Last edited:

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They want a picture of the SN Number and for me to destroy the current unit. Hmm I would prefer to have a working unit until I get one. I asked what they meant by certificate of destruction....

I replied to HiFicollege with a statement titled "Certificate of Destruction" in which I stated that I had destroyed the unit. In case they will be sending my statement to Topping I also made a copy of my statement, dated, as a PDF. They did not ask for a photo of my destruction but like you asked for a photo of the amp showing the serial. I personally would not continue use the current unit as I have already had another low serial number unit blow up my headphones. However, cosmetic destruction, such as engraving DEFECTIVE on the top would make it unsellable, which I think is the goal. Then toss it in the trash when the replacement arrived. (My opinion I do not speak for Topping or HiFiCollege).

APOS says they are currently selling L30s with Serial 2012, which have DC protection but not ESD protection that would protect the amp. I think most of us believe the replacement we will receive will be a later serial with both DC and ESD protection. I would rather wait a few weeks for that.

Last edited:

Yimir

I replied to HiFicollege with a statement titled "Certificate of Destruction" in which I stated that I had destroyed the unit. In case they will be sending my statement to Topping I also made a copy of my statement, dated, as a PDF. They did not ask for a photo of my destruction but like you asked for a photo of the amp showing the serial. I personally would not continue use the current unit as I have already had another low serial number unit blow up my headphones. However, cosmetic destruction, such as engraving DEFECTIVE on the top would make it unsellable, which I think is the goal. Then toss it in the trash when the replacement arrived. (My opinion I do not speak for Topping or HiFiCollege).

APOS says they are currently selling L30s with Serial 2012, which have DC protection but not ESD protection that would protect the amp. I think most of us believe the replacement we will receive will be a later serial with both DC and ESD protection. I would rather wait a few weeks for that.

Yeah. They weren't clear even after I asked if they wanted an image. They just continued to tell me to Smash it or scratch it every time I asked. So I just sent them a photo of it scratched. Probably just a miscommunication. Oh well either way.

So for someone new to this hobby. How would I know if my headphones have been blow up by the AMP? Would they just sound horrible? or not produce any sound? I guess the AMP probably wouldn't work after the issue occurred. So it is probably safe to say I haven't had the problem occur I guess.

I'll go back thru this thread. But i'm not sure I understand what causes the issue with the AMP to occur and maybe no one has a for sure answer.

I guess i'll put the amp away for now. Just to be safe.

I already got the ball rolling with HIFI College so I won't worry about making things more complicated. I would be happy with just having the DC protection to not ruin my headphones. Having the ESD would be ideal but oh well.

EDIT/UPDATE: I will add the HIFI College did mention all their new versions are in China and not at amazon. So I take as that mine will be coming straight from China. Maybe it is possible I could get a version with the ESD protection. But I guess that depends if they already have some made units with that fix.

Thanks for responding to my questions GGroch. You have been very helpful. I appreciate it.

Top Bottom