• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping L30 Headphone Amplifier Review

highpurityusbcable

Aioshida proposed me to send it back to them and they would send a new unit, but the shipping cost for me is almost the price of a new unit.
I didn't send any messages yet but kinda guessed this would be an answer. No way I would send anything and paying for shipment. It's like paying for this already annoying experience just to prolong it for a couple of more months.

filipduarte

Aioshida proposed me to send it back to them and they would send a new unit, but the shipping cost for me is almost the price of a new unit.

In Brazil we suffer from this outrageous shipping price...
Better wait for the official Topping response to see if maybe they will pay or split the shipping cost...

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
If a bad batch of opamps is to blame, perhaps these units could be refurbished and resold to recoup some of the cost of a replacement program.

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I bought from Aoshida too, so I'll be waiting for Topping's official statement.

c.kl

They told me to use 2011 sn with confidence :)

Sorry for the bad news. My L30 was the 2011 batch and it was fried after 5 days of use. Turned on the unit in the morning, loud popping sound followed by a slight burning smell. The unit has only been plugged to a surge protector since day one, and just sitting on the matching Topping rack along with the E30.

Giangi71

Sorry for the bad news. My L30 was the 2011 batch and it was fried after 5 days of use. Turned on the unit in the morning, loud popping sound followed by a slight burning smell. The unit has only been plugged to a surge protector since day one, and just sitting on the matching Topping rack along with the E30.
Yes but with confidence or not I don't use it

Shivers

Uh oh, I just got Topping E30/L30 as well as Sennheiser 560S cans, just checked and I'm on 2011 batch also, now I'm scared to use any of it in case something gets damaged. I still have 10 days to return to Aoshida via AliExpress so I guess I'll see what transpires, shame as I really like the kit!

c.kl

Uh oh, I just got Topping E30/L30 as well as Sennheiser 560S cans, just checked and I'm on 2011 batch also, now I'm scared to use any of it in case something gets damaged. I still have 10 days to return to Aoshida via AliExpress so I guess I'll see what transpires, shame as I really like the kit!

As far as I know, there has not been any failure report on the E30. I'm still using it as a DAC feeding to my active speakers, and I really like it.

Shivers

As far as I know, there has not been any failure report on the E30. I'm still using it as a DAC feeding to my active speakers, and I really like it.

This is very true, but for me it's both or neither, as I'm one of those weirdo's that have to have matching aesthetics sadly..

Jack

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that happened to yours as well. I have a 2011 model and was hoping to not hear that it had the same issues.

Azeendeen

Hey guys. I bought the L30 around the end of November from Amazon and it arrived on 17th December. Until now I have been using it with no problems. However, I have seen some users headphones are exploding and the unit themselves. Should I be worried? My batch is 2011622170.
The seller has removed the L30 from amazon, I am assuming it's due to the news of headphones exploding.

FedHal

Shenzhenaudio just replied to my email:

Well, let's wait and see...

Around here also waiting for the answer from Topping, I bought in Shenzhenaudio too. I made use of the warranty and they sent me a new one, as my first unit also burned out and melted my headphones. But since I got the new unit I haven't used it because of fear. So, waiting.

Reactions: trl

Azeendeen

Can be:
faulty relay
faulty contact (headphone plug/socket) (rotate the plug to see if this helps)
onset of an issue
poor soldering or component
When you hear a loud 'tick' when it cuts out, switches back on I would suggest to stop using it.
Perhaps try to return it and exchange for the latest revision anyway.

My batch number is 2011622170. I do not have any audio cut out. But I do hear a loud tick sound whenever I turn on my amplifier. I thought was normal? When I use my THX 789 amp from Drop, I always hear a loud tick whenever I turn on that amp. I have been using the THX 789 amp also for years, since 2018?

Jack

My batch number is 2011622170. I do not have any audio cut out. But I do hear a loud tick sound whenever I turn on my amplifier. I thought was normal? When I use my THX 789 amp from Drop, I always hear a loud tick whenever I turn on that amp. I have been using the THX 789 amp also for years, since 2018?
I have a 7 year old Topping TP30 speaker amp that does the same tick when powered on so I think it's normal.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's definitely not normal neither on L30 nor on THX 789.

Reactions: PSO

virtua

I get that tick sound when I turn on my L30, my SN starts with 2006 - I wouldn't call it loud though but it's audible.

raif71

Major Contributor
I get that tick sound when I turn on my L30, my SN starts with 2006 - I wouldn't call it loud though but it's audible.
It's definitely not normal neither on L30 nor on THX 789.

I'm confused now, I thought someone here said that it is the sound of relay kicking in after switching amp on but now it's not normal?

Top Bottom